Experience With Roofracks that Hold Downtubes?- Mtbr.com
    I win.

Experience With Roofracks that Hold Downtubes?

I'm looking at this rack in particular:

Swagman Upright

PDF Setup

This will be going on top of my Xterra. I already have a 4 bike hitch rack and would like to up my bike carrying capacity.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how wide the mounting area of this rack is. The xterra has some wider than normal cross bars and was wondering if I could use the included Ubolts to just mount this thing up.

The reason why I'm looking at this tray is because of the price. I found a nice deal on fleabay where I can get 2 trays for around 75 bucks. Also I won't be using these very often, only in the case of when I have some extra buddies coming along and need to haul their bikes too. So I really don't want to spend too much on the entire setup.

While I'd love some tray style racks that don't touch the frame, for the price I really can't beat these. I like the fact that you don't have to remove the front wheel.

Anyone know how solid this style rack is? How bad is the frame rub if any?

Also willing to hear about any other suggestions. Thank you!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Sweep the leg!
    We have the Yakima version on our camper. It holds the bikes quite securely even on bumpy roads. As for the crossbar spread, it will be roughly the distance from the headset of the bike to the rear axle. I'd go measure, but the camper is in the back yard and it's too late for me to plod though 2 feet of snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    I have the Thule versions. They hold the bikes pretty well, a little sway but they aren't going anywhere. Much easier than removing the front wheels every time. A bit of a pain on tall vehicles, we owned a Honda PIlot for a while. For heavier bikes it can be a balancing act lifting them up there. Frame rub only seems to be a problem when the frame is really dirty. Leave a rag in the back and wipe off the down tube after a ride and it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You will get what you pay for. The convenience of a Thule Sidearm is well worth the cost and all the hassle you'll get putting your bike on top of your Xterra. That style of rack is fine if you are putting them on a low trailer roof like the picture above, but for "overhead" applications they are too unwieldy when compared to the easy-peasy and ultra secure Sidearm.

code: mtbr2011
    that rack looks like it has straps that you have to thread and tighten for the wheels = lame.
    that xterra is a tall car and you don't want to be doing a balancing act on the car trying to get your bike steady and then threading some straps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Exactly.

I win.
    Yeah I did a test run the other day. Just trying to get my bike up right and high enough to throw it on the cross bars took a step ladder and lots of technique/skill. I think I'll either need to grow another foot or probably reconsider a roof mount system.

It's too bad though I bet a bike on the roof would have gotten me some serious street cred
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Bike Freak

I have that rack

We spoke earlier, and I must agree with everyone that you get what you pay.

It has worked great for me, but I don't have as tall as a vehicle as you do.
    As far as ease of use, it really isn't that bad, you just lock down the downtube then strap down the wheels, easypeasy.

Though I must admit my install is a little funky as the Pontiac Vibe / TOYota Matrix had the stupid idea to mount the roof rack so far back on the car.
    My bikes [Fe][C]ycles

I win.
    That actually still looks pretty good with the bike backwards like that. Plus it clears your hatch. Not too shabby.

But yeah the height thing is a major issue for me. That said, I went ahead and order a pair on ebay for 75 bucks. Yea I'm a retard but I figure I'll use them if I absolutely need them. Something about a rack in the hand is better than two racks in the bush. Err yeah I think that's how it goes.

Otherwise I'll use my new Saris Thelma 3 I just ordered

Yeah my wallets a lot easier to sit on as of now.

Looking forward to getting both racks and outfitting the ol' x. I'll throw some pics up too.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Members who have read this thread: 0