EVO IX custom hitch install- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EVO IX custom hitch install

A trailer hitch is just not available for the Mitsu Lancer Evolution (EVO) IX, so I decided to rig somethig up:

I bought a Curt Hitch # 11476 (for the regular Lancer Wagon), which is really sturdy, with thick beams and welds that go all around the members (weighs like 25 lbs). You'll need to remove the bumper skin for this install. I used blue locktight for all connections.

I went to Home Depot and got 8 washers (probably shoulda gotten more), a Simpson heavy duty angle (used to secure stuff to foundations, or beam to beam connections - made out of 1/4" thick steel), locktight, (grade 5) 3/8" and 1/2" bolts with nuts and used alot of extra parts that I already have (like nylon lock nuts, lock washers, other washers, etc.). You'll need at least 3-5 washers for the left and right bolts because they are too long and will hit the bumper beam from the back (for the left and right "ears" of the hitch). I cut about 3/8" off these bolts before installation (gotta love angle grinders). The ears of the hitch are not secured to the bumper beam, but rather the bumper support which already has holes in those locations (as stated in the hitch install instructions).

The Tow Hook metal connector will not exactly line up. I used a 5 pound sledge hammer to "nudge" it closer to the hook. I then secured it with a smaller nut/bolt with washers, a large nut as a middle spacer, and the supplied (with hitch) square washer.

The piece that bolts up to the bumper beam needs to be fabricated. I bought a 4-hole Simpson Heavy Duty Angle (1/4" steel) and drilled 2 holes in the bumper beam for install. I measured everything and marked the holes. I even drew the line through the angle to cut off the excess metal. I also marked the hole in the angle for drilling the hole that will secure the hitch to the angle. The hitch kit came with a "fishwire tool" to help install the bolts from the inside of the bumper. I used two 3/8" bolt with washers and lock washers (cut washer that is not flat, kinda like a spring) on both sides of the bolt, which helps in tightening up the nut without the bolt turning on me.

Finished result:

This is for reference only to show what I did. If you are not mechanically inclined do not try this. You can scratch up your car and bumper skin trying to remove it or even end up with something unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    This is for reference only to show what I did. If you are not mechanically inclined do not try this. You can scratch up your car and bumper skin trying to remove it or even end up with something unsafe.
    Hopefully that stuff is galvanized. The head of that bolt doesn't sit flush with the 1/4'' angle kind of sketchy.. you realized that after you drilled the hole hough I'm guessing. Judging from the pictures I wouldn't trust that setup to hold my bike. I know a roof mount is a hassle and brings down MPG but I think that would have been a better way especially if you have to haul two bikes. Just my opinion though
    get to the choppa!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There's a reason you can't buy hitches for Evo's.
    Thanks, Sheldon. You really are the best.

mtbr member
    It fits, and it's solid. It works. The Japanese EVO has an available hitch. The JDM bumper is designed for it.

roof rack would look nicer but I think the guy was on a budget
    get to the choppa!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    It also looks low. Watch out for dips and comming out of parking lots.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Or maybe I'm short? Not everyone wants to lift a bike up on a roof rack.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think it's obvious that not enveryone wants a roof rack, I think they are pretty dumb myself due to what they do to the top of the car and the fact that they kill milege. I can't see anyone really wanting one, but some cars require it. I think that's why some people would rather go with a roof-rack on that type of car. If your mod works then great. It may not have to be super strong to just support a bike or two.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I posted this up for those in my situation (deciding what kind of rack to get for this kind of car).

It does work. It is solid, and I have used it for 3 months hauling 2 bikes at a time. I haven't taken off the rack since I installed it, and I drive about 100 miles a day to and from work (mostly freeway). I am also using a regular hitch lock with it (drilled out the threads on the Thule rack). I check on the hitch weekly before I put my bikes on it (as stated in the hitch instructions) and have yet to find anything loose or bent out of shape.

Those of us who own an EVO know that the car is low. I've never been able to park in the driveway of the In-Laws', hitch or no hitch, so it's kinda a moot point.

As for anyone not owning the same car and commenting whether or not this works for me... why? It is what it is... take it or leave it.

Thanks for making this a memorable first post.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    good work...nuff said

ok ok I'm jealouse
    Mother Nature should have had an abortion!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    mostly subbin to check it out when i get home since i can't see the pics. nothing wrong with a trailer hitch on an evo though. i've considered putting one on mine. to me the evo is the ultimate DD car, great speed, great handling, plenty of interior and trunk room, good looks, AWD for winter, and gets 20+mpg. if part of your DD routine is to haul bikes around and you don't want a roof rack a hitch is a good option.

i actually just got a trunk rack that will be splitting time between my car and my gf's yaris. it should fit no problem below the wing. it'll be ugly no doubt but it'll work. eventually i'll get a roof rack but for now it'll do

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice work, very creative.

mtbr member
    I know this is kinda old, but you all reference to a roof rack for a evo. I own a Evo RS which currently i use a yakima trunk mount but im trying to find a roof rack for the car. Does anyone know one that fits with the evo, and can clear the RS's aluminum aero bumps on the roof? or just the evo roof in general?

Btw nice work, i wouldnt do it myself b/c its ugly lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thule and yakima racks fit, just option it out with the standard Lancer on their respective sites and it'll fit no problem.

what do you mean aero bumps? are you talking about the MR vortex generators? those are far enough back that it won't be an issue, they're behind the antenna so that's more likely to be a problem. plus if you have an RS you shouldn't have them anyways because they're worthless without the wing and wickerbill on the wing so yank them off

what i would worry about with an RS is the weight given that the roof of the RS is aluminum and not steel like the GSR roof. i don't know that i've ever seen a roof rack on an MR or an RS so it may not be a good idea. check around on evom and see what you can find

mtbr member
    only the RS has these little strips that go parallel with the doors that creates better roof air flow. They bump up near the rain gutter thingies and thats why i was scared bc the roof is aluminum. But the trunk is aluminum and ive ran it for 3 months with 2 and 3 bike combos with no problem or structural weakness

But yea ill check evom, even tho theres hard to weed through the idiots on there

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the trunk isn't aluminum, that's a common misconception. it's a thin steel but steel none the less. the only aluminum things are the fenders, hood and on the RS, MR and SE the roof.

i've never heard of the RS having extra aero bars, do you have any pictures of it? i searched on evom and in some pictures it looks like i can see a little something on the roof then others they look like any other roof

doing some searching it looks like you want a yakima roof rack for an aluminum roof. it rests on the pillars not the roof itself.

unlike the thule seen here which rests on the roof

mtbr member
    i can get a pic of my car if the garage lighting is ok. But yea im trying to find the Q clips from Yakima that go into the door seals and NOT the rain gutters but im not sure what model to look for or what not. I saw that post on evom and im going to email that guy and see if he can get me some more info.

Thanks for the help tho bud, also good to know about the trunk... always was misled
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bost; 09-24-2007 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks for the pics, i never knew that about the RS roof. you learn something new every day i'm sure if you call a yakima dealer they'll be able to help you with the Q clips, or if you have a local dealer they might have some in stock that you can try to make sure they fit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffycake
    roof rack would look nicer but I think the guy was on a budget
    you're crazy if you think a full roof rack would look nicer on an evo.

Members who have read this thread: 2