Ever seen one of these???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Ever seen one of these???

Does anyone have any experience with one of these???

http://motopaq.com/MPDHR14DualHitchReceiver.html

or

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0038402521997a.shtml

I am looking for a towing solution that will allow me to carry my bicycles while towing our popup and thought that the double hitch might work in conjunction with a hitch mounted carrier.

The bikes cannot go inside vehicle (not enough room), on the top of Jeep (that's where the canoe goes) or on the camper (not enough weight carrying capacity). I thought this might work...just not sure if there would be enough clearance between the bottom of the bikes and the trailer tongue, jack, etc.

If anybody has experience with this type of setup, I would love to know what works for you and what doesn't. Thanks!

since 4/10/2009
    I've been aware of these for several years now, but have honestly never seen one in use on the road. I don't have a hitch rack, so I can't comment based on personal experience, either. My inclination is that if the trailer tongue is too short, you could try a hitch extension, but I'm suspicious that such a getup would be too wobbly for my comfort level.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, anybody else?

mtbr member
    i havent used a double hitch reciever but i have an older model of this

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rier&noImage=0

we use it to tow the boat and take bikes it works pretty well

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Another solution is to get a towing rack. The towing racks go into your 2" receiver and then have a ball on the back that you can hook your trailer to.

Here are a few examples of that kind of rack:

Towing Hitch Bike Racks

The problem with the dual receiver adapters is that most bike racks stick out quite a ways from the hitch opening. That means that your ball mount must be VERY long to get the ball out far enough to clear the bike rack. In general I have not seen that work very well. We took the dual adapters off our website because we were getting so many returns from people who had problems getting it to work with their bike racks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I've seen the towing type of racks before, but am concerned that they do not raise the bikes high enough to clear the tongue jack, battery boxes, propane bottles, etc.

I know with four bikes mounted, the unit will stick out a good deal and the pop-up I tow is very compact in the hitch area and my concern is that it will bump.

Do you have any experiences with that? I have not tried them, but they just don't look like they would work to me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, if your trailer doesn't have a fairly long unobstructed tongue, then you may be limited on how many bikes you could carry. In your case, the version that has the integrated tow bar would probably be best. It provides a lot of extension and would give you room for at least a few bikes. Otherwise, the ball mount mounted ones are probably too constrictive for you.

If you wanted to take some measurements, we could pass it along to Swagman and see whether it would fit.

mtbr member
    yea our boat has a pretty long tongue so we can scrape by with around 6 inches of clearence between bow of boat and bikes, it could be a problem with a shorter tongue

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ran into that problem with a ford E150. the tongue on the popup was to short for any more than 2 bikes. i put a hitch on the front, of course anyone shorter than 5'6" are looking through the bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0