Enclosed Trailer Upfit Project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Enclosed Trailer Upfit Project

Hello all, I just finished uploading my first real blog article documenting my ongoing MTB trailer project! Linked for the info it contains, but also because I'd like some feedback on the trailer project as well as the article itself (layout, general tone, font size, etc.).

If anyone can point out a better way to do things or a problem with the stuff I'm doing, it would be appreciated!

cra-Z-ivn's Contributions: The Adventure Cube Project

Thanks,
    Ivan

mtbr member
    I did something in the same ballpark:

http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...l#post13019593

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    That is badass, it's like a full-on bunkhouse on wheels! Do you have a system to secure bikes inside, or is that taken care of on the truck?

As far as the hit on fuel mileage, I think it's probably still the most efficient way to travel. About the same mileage as a motorhome while towing the trailer, but once you get to your destination and unhook, you've got your truck again! And the other expenses associated with motorhomes (licensing, insurance, drivetrain maintenance, winterizing) aren't a concern.

Plus there's just something extra-baller about rocking up to a campground with an enclosed trailer vs. a camper. It looks like serious business and everyone wonders what you've got in there...

Ivan

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craZivn View Post
    Hello all, I just finished uploading my first real blog article documenting my ongoing MTB trailer project! Linked for the info it contains, but also because I'd like some feedback on the trailer project as well as the article itself (layout, general tone, font size, etc.).

If anyone can point out a better way to do things or a problem with the stuff I'm doing, it would be appreciated!

cra-Z-ivn's Contributions: The Adventure Cube Project

Thanks,
    Ivan
    If you happen to know, what's the dry weight of the trailer and tongue weight? Just curious for small car trailing. Nice project BTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks! According to the manufacturer's spec sheet, the dry weight of the trailer is 440 pounds, and the tongue weight is 66 pounds. That's without the spare tire or jack mounted on the tongue I'd guess. The previous owner used a Ford Focus sedan to tow it.
    Here's a link to the manufacturer's spec flyer: http://etace.com/trailers/JT46SA.pdf

Not all trailers of the same size will have the same weight though, I've been told that Uhaul trailers in particular are much heavier for the same size trailer.

Ivan

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice. That's a reasonable weight even for a smaller car.