Emergency!! Thule 594XT Sidearm Backwards???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Emergency!! Thule 594XT Sidearm Backwards???

Leaving for a trip in a couple hours and wanted to get your expert advice. In hindsight I should have asked earlier when I got the rack last week but I just got around to putting it together this morning and realizing that theres a big flaw in my rack set up.

As you can see from the first photo, I have these three little "nubs" on the underside of the front bar of my rack (OEM from BMW). I'm assuming that there for aerodynamic purposes, I dont know. Its only on the front, the back bar is completely flat on the under side.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The issue is, the platform that the arm is mounted is so wide that one side (not the one closest to me) overlaps half an inch onto the little metal nub. This results in me not being able to screw the wing nut evenly. It begins to go crooked and not only that, it makes a big indent on the black rubber metal bracket. As you can see the picture, as I tighten the screw, the bolt becomes crooked because of that metal nub obstacle.

My question is, can I mount the rack backwards? As in the front wheel will be face my trunk instead of my windshield. I probably will mount this on the driver side because I don't want to deal with the hassle of flipping the parts around. Installing on the driver side would allow me to just take of the rack and switch sides. No need to unscrew the arm, flip it, etc etc.

Is there any specific cons on mounting it on the driver side instead of passenger side?

My main concern is whether or not mounting it backwards, with the bikes front wheel facing the trunk, has any repercussion. Safety and security is my main concern. If mounting it backwards leaves me more susceptible to damage on high way driving, whether the wind resistance is detrimental to the security of the arm when mounted backwards, or the pressure of the wind can lift up my bike whiling driving leaving it prone to coming loose, etc etc.

Me being a stickler, I hate how the way its mounted right now and how it isn't sitting flush because of those nubs on the front. Mounting the rack backwards eliminates that issue but in return if I am sacrificing safety than I rather just keep it as is (then again, not sure how safe it really is when one of three metal gaskets aren't flush with the rack bars).

Please help!!!

Btw, here is an absolute piece of sin that i did in a photo editor to give the people an idea on what i am asking to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can mount it frontward and backward. People mount it backwards so they can stagger many bikes so the handlebars don't hit each other.
    You can mount it on the drivers side, the passenger's side, the middle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    You can mount it frontward and backward. People mount it backwards so they can stagger many bikes so the handlebars don't hit each other.
    You can mount it on the drivers side, the passenger's side, the middle.
    Any downsides though? I can see wind resistance pushing on the arm and ultimately pushing the arm to rub against the brakes or am I being paranoid.

orrrr

somehow the wind makes my rear wheel strap loose then lifting the bike. I have all these theories and concerns lol.

Your Best Friend
    You are being paranoid. Mount it up how it works best for you and forget about it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been putting bikes on the roof facing backwards for 20 years. I got tired of all the bugs getting drilled into my shifters and brake levers and coating the paint on the front of the bikes and then you go to clean them off and the paint comes with them.