El cheapo bike rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

El cheapo bike rack

I have a 29er and looking for a roof rack for my 01 forester. I like the rockymounts one. I did notice eBay has some dirt cheap racks. It has to fit my factory cross rails. Has any bought these no-name racks they are like $35, compared to $120 for the rocky. What do you guys think?
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't know a lot about different kinds of roof racks, but do you want to skimp on the thing holding your bike to your car at 65mph on the freeway?

Anyway, we have el cheapo "strap on the back" rack, and i can't look at thing without bile rising up in my throat. Transporting bicycles with a bad rack is a very stressful ordeal.

Retired User
    Here's an option which uses a 2x4 and some tie downs.

Seriously though, I agree with Rooney, there's no way I'd trust my $2,000 + bike and everyone else on the road's livelihood to a $35 off-brand roof rack.

jrm
    mtbr member

If you can find

some used trays and cross bars and then buy the specific "feet" for your forester youll end up with a good sturdy rack. Just make sure everythings compatible.

Didnt mean to hijack your post. Hit the ****ing reply button and NOT the QUOTE button thinking i was relying to the thread and not your post. Also why cant i DELETE my posts? WTFM

mtbr member
    I agree I don't want to jepordize my bike, my car or anyone else. I just wanted to know if anyone tried them because you never know what's out there and name brand stuff does cost more and the no name Chinese stuff may be the same quality. I'm def going to be getting the rocky mounts so I don't take a $35 chance lol
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
    I agree I don't want to jepordize my bike, my car or anyone else. I just wanted to know if anyone tried them because you never know what's out there and name brand stuff does cost more and the no name Chinese stuff may be the same quality. I'm def going to be getting the rocky mounts so I don't take a $35 chance lol
    If you are on a tight budget check out craigslist.... I found a complete yakima setup with to bike attachments for $175 and your style with the roof rails go for even cheaper since you dont use the towers to attach them to the roof. Its worth a look if you didn't already order new stuff

mtbr member
    I just bought one from canadian tire and it was 74.99 canadian it works awesome , i have had no problems, never buy used its just not worth the hassle

Members who have read this thread: 0