ebay rack quality???????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

ebay rack quality???????

I currently have a Thule parkway rack, but i want a platform rack. the thule pinches my rockhopper brake lines, and twists my allez's brake cable that runs below the top-tube.

Im just wondering if this rack is any good for only $50. any suggestions????

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BIKE-Hitch-Mou...#ht_2902wt_867
    MTB : 2019 Giant Fathom 2
    ROAD: 2019 Giant TCR Advanced 2
    TRUCK: 2018 GMC Sierra Z71

mtbr member
    i have one like that but the 4 bike version. it's heavy than a mofo and can be a little cumbersome to adjust. however, it is sturdy and works great.

that said, i ride a bike from bikes direct and like it. so 99% of the people on here will dismiss my opinion. hahahaha...
    it's fun to do bad things

code: mtbr2011
    my guess is you'll get exactly what you pay for with this rack.
    i know it's cheap, and i know there are others that are more expensive, but i think you can do alot better for a little bit more money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    my guess is you'll get exactly what you pay for with this rack.
    i know it's cheap, and i know there are others that are more expensive, but i think you can do alot better for a little bit more money.
    ...and it's 1/3 the cost of the cheapest rack on your site, with the cheapest comparable being $244 almost 5 times as much. I know you are an approved advertiser, but you should come up with something better than "you get what you pay for" when someone asks for and you give your supposed educated opinion. What's wrong with this rack?

I see nothing wrong with this rack. $82, including shipping, looks like a hell of a deal.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by broncojd78
    i have one like that but the 4 bike version. it's heavy than a mofo and can be a little cumbersome to adjust. however, it is sturdy and works great.

that said, i ride a bike from bikes direct and like it. so 99% of the people on here will dismiss my opinion. hahahaha...

did you buy your four bike one from ebay?

hahahaha, i can imagine the havoc you get when you tell people you have a BD bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    im beginning to toss up the idea of building a rack. I have a welding machine so i may have to give it a whirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

code: mtbr2011
    i made no allusions to my own website when i referenced there are better racks out there. i have no vested interest in that advice.
    but the op is looking for something in a lower price range, and is obviously shopping on ebay. we help people with their purchases on ebay with no strings attached - so that they get the right stuff, and not crap...and in the future, when they need new parts, will think to purchase from us. we even sell clearance and used racks on ebay.

just because we sponsor this forum doesn't mean we have any expectation of people shopping on our website. that alone isn't enough. we still have to deliver good value,which is a combination of price, quality, expertise and good customer service. if i weren't confident we could deliver those things, why would we sponsor this forum?

so you want me to tell you what's wrong with this rack? i'll tell you. regardless of whether or not you agree with me, i'll give it to you straight up.

1. the seller has 31 negative reviews in the last month. what happens when a small part breaks, or he loses a small part with the rack? do you think that a rack "made by motobatteries for motobatteries" is going to have a warranty of any sort that is going to help him? it doesn't...scroll through a few pages of the negatives, and look for 2 bike rack...you'll see what i'm talking about.look at some of the neutral responses from other bike racks...parts missing...instructions wrong. i looked at this stuff already and used it to make my decision.

2. it's held together with pins entirely. no bolts...i suppose this is good if you want to deconstruct it in your garage every now and then, but this rack is going to have so much wobble and play in it, at some point the chinese steel and their welds ( if there are any) are going to fail. whether it costs $50 or $550, that is going to suck big time for the bike involved...

i will admit, i don't know what the op plans on doing with this rack. buy it for a one-time trip to college or use it every weekend, or twice a week?? but by virtue of him posting on a mountain bike enthusiasts forum, i assume he plans on using it somewhat regularly, and would like to get years of use from a rack he purchases. i just don't see this product as the answer.

so that's why i say, you get what you pay for...if $50 is worth a little gamble, that's his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    ...and it's 1/3 the cost of the cheapest rack on your site, with the cheapest comparable being $244 almost 5 times as much. I know you are an approved advertiser, but you should come up with something better than "you get what you pay for" when someone asks for and you give your supposed educated opinion. What's wrong with this rack?

I see nothing wrong with this rack. $82, including shipping, looks like a hell of a deal.

Rock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006
    did you buy your four bike one from ebay?
    this is what i bought and the seller from whom i bought it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-BIKE-CRADLE-CA...-/200508033200

now that i think about it, i did have a problem with it when i first got it but got it straightened out immediately. it was damaged in transit. if you want to know the details, PM me and i'll tell you what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006
    hahahaha, i can imagine the havoc you get when you tell people you have a BD bike.
    surprisingly, it's only the people on here who seem to care (not those on the trails). i only mentioned it because it was another bang for your buck purchase. i have my BD bike on my ebay bike rack. and somehow i am still able to make it to a trail and complete a ride!

<edit>
    having a BD bike on here is like being a catholic in theology class at a baptist school. as soon as they know you're catholic, your input is immediately dismissed.
    it's fun to do bad things

mtbr member
    May 2009
    a BD bike on an Ebay rack.... you shouldn't even be allowed to park in the same park at the Trailhead. hahahaha. Before i bought my spech Allez i was looking into getting a motobecane Vent noir. I was just a little nervous about buying online and not being fitted.
    Thanks for the help.

Cracksandracks, Thanks for the info. i think i may end up building my own, i have a vivid picture of what i want it to look like. Hopefully my high school years in Shop will come through to help me.haha

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i made no allusions to my own website when i referenced there are better racks out there. i have no vested interest in that advice.
    but the op is looking for something in a lower price range, and is obviously shopping on ebay. we help people with their purchases on ebay with no strings attached - so that they get the right stuff, and not crap...and in the future, when they need new parts, will think to purchase from us. we even sell clearance and used racks on ebay.

just because we sponsor this forum doesn't mean we have any expectation of people shopping on our website. that alone isn't enough. we still have to deliver good value,which is a combination of price, quality, expertise and good customer service. if i weren't confident we could deliver those things, why would we sponsor this forum?

so you want me to tell you what's wrong with this rack? i'll tell you. regardless of whether or not you agree with me, i'll give it to you straight up.

1. the seller has 31 negative reviews in the last month. what happens when a small part breaks, or he loses a small part with the rack? do you think that a rack "made by motobatteries for motobatteries" is going to have a warranty of any sort that is going to help him? it doesn't...scroll through a few pages of the negatives, and look for 2 bike rack...you'll see what i'm talking about.look at some of the neutral responses from other bike racks...parts missing...instructions wrong. i looked at this stuff already and used it to make my decision.

2. it's held together with pins entirely. no bolts...i suppose this is good if you want to deconstruct it in your garage every now and then, but this rack is going to have so much wobble and play in it, at some point the chinese steel and their welds ( if there are any) are going to fail. whether it costs $50 or $550, that is going to suck big time for the bike involved...

i will admit, i don't know what the op plans on doing with this rack. buy it for a one-time trip to college or use it every weekend, or twice a week?? but by virtue of him posting on a mountain bike enthusiasts forum, i assume he plans on using it somewhat regularly, and would like to get years of use from a rack he purchases. i just don't see this product as the answer.

so that's why i say, you get what you pay for...if $50 is worth a little gamble, that's his decision.
    Oh...OK, Nevermind.

That's the kind of response a vendor should give. Makes sense, good points, informed, professional. Don't squander your marketing $$$.

Thank you,

Rock
    Last edited by Rock; 08-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Members who have read this thread: 0