Dual racks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dual racks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Dual racks?

I drive a Hyundai Elantra. I put a tow hitch on it specifically to use a hitch mount because of how often I was hauling bikes, the regular trunk mount rack I had was kind of wearing on it. I could see at the top of the trunk the seems were getting wider apart, so I decided to switch to a different rack for sake of saving the trunk lid.

However, in a few weeks I'll be going to Myrtle Beach, in which we always take a few bikes. My hitch mount rack hauls 3 bikes, but ideally I'd like to have 4. I was thinking, what if I put the trunk rack on the trunk lid but hoisted it up pretty high, so the bike was almost horizontal and attached to the rack. Then... simply have the other 3 bikes on the hitch mount.

Has anybody done this, or can anybody think of any reason why it wouldn't be allowed on the road or why it would be a bad idea? Figured I'd ask before I get rolling and find out the hard way for something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That sounds like a lot of weight on the back of that car. I'd add some helper springs or something to help lift the rear end a bit or driveways could be a but sketchy. I would go with a roof setup rather than add more to the back. Still need to help the suspension a bit but ...

code: mtbr2011
    try it out in your driveway first.
    i can only foresee that the bike on the trunk is going to intefere with the hitch rack.

as far as weight goes, what's the difference between carrying 4 adults in the car? that is surely more weight than bike racks...wouldn't you think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The trunk rack would definitely interfere at its normal position, which is why I thought about hiking it really high up so it positions the bike almost horizontally. A quick setup of this proved that I would have just barely enough clearance from hitting other bikes on the rack. I actually got the idea from the police cars in the area, because some cops take a mountain bike with them and they'll bike around residential areas with their cop car parked. Their bike racks are really high up, which I can only assume is to have as little chance of the bike being a problem with high speed chases in the event they have to book it after somebody w/ the bike on the trunk.

I didn't have time last night to set up what I was talking about, but tonight I should have the opportunity. I'll take pictures of it and post it here to get some more insight. I suppose there shouldn't be any problems with it besides weight, but I've had my car packed down with the hitch rack loaded, full coolers in the trunk, and 5 people in the car. If anything having 4 people in the car, 1 cooler instead of 3, and one bike on the trunk might actually be less than what the car has been exposed to.

code: mtbr2011
    i'd take a look at the photos for sure.....

Members who have read this thread: 0