Do I need all this...?- Mtbr.com
    norwoodrider4
    Aug 2007

Do I need all this...?

When I look for rack configurations on Yakima and Thule's sites, they say I need all this random s*!t. For thule they say I need lock cores and "kit 68", "kit 68" is supposed to aid in stability for the aero feet. Are they necassary? and for Yakima they say I need Q Clips, again like the Thule "kit 68" and again are they necassary? I really really need to put this rack on on a budget, so I dont want to get anything that is unnecassary, thanks.
    Go fast, or go down

mtbr member
    For Yakima you need Q clips (they're the bits that fit the rack to your car). I don't know what "kit 68" is, but I assume it's the same thing for Thule racks. You don't need lock cores if you don't mind someone stealing your rack (granted, it's just a deterrent, but with a $400+ rack I'd say it's worthwhile). You can skip the fairing if you don't mind the sound of the rack whistling in the wind (you will mind the sound of the rack whistling in the wind...or you'll turn up the music).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just ebayed half my Yakima rack and bought the other half from Rackattack.com. altogether cost me a little over $450.

$250 went to used towers, bars, locks, and the actual bike rack.

The other $200 were bought new on what I think are completely over priced items, including $70 for the Q clips, which are essentially 4 completely necessary pieces of steel, $70 for the front fairing, which just looks good, but i doubt actually reduces noise, $25 for windjammer for the rear bar, and $40 for a qr15 fork adapter, since the ebay items are for quick release forks...

I highly recommend the Yakima stuff over the Thule due to quality. a lot of the Thule racks are held on to the bar by just a simple U bolt, allowing the bike to wave back and forth quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqfob
    $70 for the front fairing, which just looks good, but i doubt actually reduces noise
    That's some grade A information there...based on hopes and wishes I assume? I used my Yakima rack without a fairing for a couple of days; without a fairing it's loud at highway speeds.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyaduck
    That's some grade A information there...based on hopes and wishes I assume? I used my Yakima rack without a fairing for a couple of days; without a fairing it's loud at highway speeds.
    fairings do reduce wind noise, and especially useful on yakima q towers and aero feet applications, where the front crossbar is around 8" or so from the top of the windshield.

as far as a windjammer on the back bar???? sounds like someone got sold.

windjammers are a good alternative to a fairing, on a vehicle that has a sunroof, or a siderail application, where you can't really effectively install a fairing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know no one puts a windjammer on the back bar... I thought i'd try. it would look cool will let u know how it goes

https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/...b/DSC00648.jpg

I know no one puts a windjammer on the back bar... I thought i'd try. it would look cool will let u know how it goes

https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/...b/DSC00648.jpg
    i will give you that for sure......

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ... just got the windjammer... this thing is tiny! I think i got sold...

... just got the windjammer... this thing is tiny! I think i got sold...
    take a picture of your rack once it's all put together and post it...
    i'll bet that windjammer will look cool..

and you can test it on and off, and see if you notice any difference in wind noise having it on the rear crossbar.

i'd be interested to know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have everything I need now, except they forgot to send me a key... darn it...

well the sky just decided to dump another boatload of snow on us here in NY... anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    do you think you can help me get a key?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodrider4
    When I look for rack configurations on Yakima and Thule's sites, they say I need all this random s*!t. For thule they say I need lock cores and "kit 68", "kit 68" is supposed to aid in stability for the aero feet. Are they necassary? and for Yakima they say I need Q Clips, again like the Thule "kit 68" and again are they necassary? I really really need to put this rack on on a budget, so I dont want to get anything that is unnecassary, thanks.
    Depending on the vehicle you are putting it on there are essential bits that you will need. Assuming that you do not have a "factory" rack, you will need Towers and bars... pretty standard, the clips or "kits" are specific to the contour of your vehicle so yes, you will need these. Lock cores aren't necessary but do give a piece of mind. Try searching on your local craigslist or look in the classified areas for your local bike/canoe/kayak club(s) for used equipment. Lots of folks who move away from roof racks for hitch racks have their old racks collecting dust and taking up space in their garage.

Thule & Yak are the Ford/Chevy of roof rack systems, but you might find some good deals from rockymounts, saris, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0