DIY dual carrier- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DIY dual carrier

So after some searching and looking around, couldnt find very much on DIY stuff since im poor and cheap .

Anyway since i have access to a shop i figures i'd make my own.

Here is what i have so far.

Still need to figure out a few things, but i plan on putting another piece of metal at a 45 degree angle at the ends to keep it from moving off...and also make an arm adj. so it comes down and onto the frame with a hook like feature to keep it from falling off and what not...

Anyway thoughts and opinions?

And yes the metal is thick, but its something i had laying around that fit the tires pretty well. Plus i can jump on the very ends and the actual frame is strong. but it wiggles too much in the receiver. Any help on the anti rattling??

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    take some 1/2in fender washers (2in OD) and slide them into the receiver. a single washer will probably do the trick, and will likely need to be hammered in there for the most snug fit. that's how i get rid of the annoying rattle on my normal tow hitch. if you do this, you'll have to knock the hitch out from the backside with a BFH.

that's the ghetto way.

since you can weld, i would just copy every other anti-rattle system out there and weld a nut to the inside of the square tubing. then you just use a bolt (in place of a hitch pin) and tighten it down. it will pull the draw bar tight against the receiver. it's also a good way to deter theft because you'd need a wrench to remove it.

mtbr member
    which anti rattle system works better??

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the captured nut and bolt works the best, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Drill a hole on top and side your vehicle hitch, weld a nut outside the hole and tighten with a bolt. That is what I did and it worked perfect.

mtbr member
    So an update...

Still havent found an anti rattle system that i like, but i did finish one of the bike racks, so i can actually use it.

Want to throw a couple different bikes on it and see how they fit, i dont want to finish the second one and see that it doesnt really work with other bikes...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have built something similar which is on its 3rd revision. The U- that you have to grab the top tube needs to bend out to a larger opening but get smaller as it gets to the top. The reason for this is to prevent rattling. Even with the softest material between the bracket and your top tube you will get marking and eventually wear into the softer material (usually your bike). See the top of the swagman (cheap I know) see how the part that holds the top tube gets narrow to prevent the top tube from wiggling? That is what you want. Make it an upside down V. Better yet, make something that grabs the tire. This will be my next hitch rack build. No more touching the frame!

mtbr member
    I'll keep that in mind with the second rack...I'll see how much it wiggles. Right now the only wiggling is in that arm, so the whole bike moves with it. I made it so it was tight when padding was added (i.e. welding glove). But im going to use it tonight so we'll see how it feels.

Thanks for the suggestion!

ballbuster

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade
    So an update...

Still havent found an anti rattle system that i like, but i did finish one of the bike racks, so i can actually use it.

*pix*

Want to throw a couple different bikes on it and see how they fit, i dont want to finish the second one and see that it doesnt really work with other bikes...
    I love to see DIY solutions for bike racks. Makes me want to learn to weld. I have a fantasy that someday I'm going to weld up some nice solid wheel hook racks in the garage to store the 9 bikes in my household.... also racks for the spare wheels and tires.

Yeah, captured nut and threaded hitch pin is the shiz. I had a Performance Bike X-Port Flatbed rack that basically had a threaded nut inside the receiver hitch square part, and a hitch pin that would thread into it through the car's receiver hole. The hitch pin was drilled on the end for a safety pin so it wouldn't turn around and possibly fall out (not that it ever even came loose). Now I have a Thule T2 that came with just a M12 bolt with a split lock washer. Just snug it up. I plan on buying a locking hitch pin.

So you snug the bolt up and that keeps the rack from moving. Very solid. Like this, but instead of that little bevel at the end for the lock, they drilled a hole straight through and you stick a pin in there.

You can use road bike toe straps or 1" wide heavy velcro straps to keep the wheels from moving off the trays. That is an easy peasy solution. Then just figure out how to strap the frame to the uprights. I dunno... I say you can even forget about the frame hooks on the verticals as long as you can strap the frame to the upright in a way that is nice and solid. If the wheels are strapped down snugly, it isn't going to hop out of the rack.

Back in 2003 or so, there was a great write up in Dirt Rag about making your own roof rack trays, not unlike what you have going on there. The only real difference was that the author drilled holes through the U channel sideways and bolted an old QR axle in there, and used a quick release to attach the bike with the front wheel off.

mtbr member
    I really like the threaded hitch pin idea...im just trying to figure out how i would weld the nut inside! haha only thing i can think of is cut the tub part off close to the hole, weld the nut in, and then weld the tube back on and grind smooth...not sure if i want to. But then again it might warp enough to reduce some of this wabble.

ballbuster

Meh... don't have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade
    I really like the threaded hitch pin idea...im just trying to figure out how i would weld the nut inside! haha only thing i can think of is cut the tub part off close to the hole, weld the nut in, and then weld the tube back on and grind smooth...not sure if i want to. But then again it might warp enough to reduce some of this wabble.
    Weld the nut to a small scrap of metal the same size as the inside of the square, centered vertically. Once you have it placed, just jam it in there. Bonus points for tack welding it to the end. You just need something to locate it long enough until the bolt snugs it down, right?

I've seen similar setups where the nut is welded to a thin piece of metal, folded over at the end to keep it there... kinda like a superstrut spring nut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Weld the nut to a small scrap of metal the same size as the inside of the square, centered vertically. Once you have it placed, just jam it in there. Bonus points for tack welding it to the end. You just need something to locate it long enough until the bolt snugs it down, right?

I've seen similar setups where the nut is welded to a thin piece of metal, folded over at the end to keep it there... kinda like a superstrut spring nut.

That is a great idea....i will be doing that then. I'll weld it enough to make it stay there.

Now...time to track down a big enough bolt...and nuts haha

Members who have read this thread: 0