DIY crossbars- Mtbr.com

Thread: DIY crossbars

ouch

DIY crossbars

I wasn't about to waste a ton of cash on a set up I knew I could do myself, so 30 bones later I have a setup that's just as strong (not as visually appealing).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Okay, I'm not really seeing the second picture so well. What's holding the crossbars up? I see a pipe clamp on the X base bar, but what else is there? Got another picture?
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

ouch
    I loosened the connection and raised the crossbar to show it better, but usually the bar can rest on my factory rack...or close to it. The pipe clamps have arms the extend inward about 3 inches or so. I reinforced these arms with some 1/8"stock for the u-bolts to clamp to. I don't have my cam with me right now, but here's the idea...

It's not very pretty by any means, but it's strong and does the job.

mtbr member
    Looks good but Instead of having the pipe clamps extensions why not rest the crossbar on the factory rack and use 2 U-bolts on each side?

Something from a small trailer might work: http://www.textrail.com/index.cfm?fu...categoryID=146

ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    Looks good but Instead of having the pipe clamps extensions why not rest the crossbar on the factory rack and use 2 U-bolts on each side?

Something from a small trailer might work: http://www.textrail.com/index.cfm?fu...categoryID=146
    That was my original plan, but I needed the racks up asap and did what I could with crap from lowes. I might change it eventually.

mtbr member
    Cool, looks like it's solid and works. I agree, as much stuff as Lowes and Home Depot has they sometimes don't have exactly what you want or need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The crossbars your using with the orange caps (what you have the bike rack mounted to). Did you get those from lowes also? My LBS wants $60 for the longest ones, and that is what I need to reach the width of the bed on my truck, to mount the rack over the bed.

Thanks
    Jon ...*... Lakeland-Fl

www.FloridaTrailblazers.net

Members who have read this thread: 0