DIY Bike Rack for Full Size Pickup Bed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

DIY Bike Rack for Full Size Pickup Bed

Hey guys been mountain biking since 2014 down here in Florida and have always used tie straps to secure my bike down in the bed. Was going to shell out $300+ for a fancy hitch rack but then my friend got in my ear and told me why am I going to put a hitch rack on a truck and not utilize the bed itís not like I have a cover on the bed or anything. Got to thinking and decided I was tired of having to tie strap it but didnít want to lose out on the bed of the truck. Decided to look around online for fork mounts and found some that worked for the bikes Iím hauling around. Bought 3 fork adapters, a piece of 2x6 wood and the total cost was $37.45. Pics of the rack are below let me know what you think!

P.S. Don't mind the Go-Kart tires in the pic, I use them to stop my kart from hitting the rack when im headed to the track.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Looks good for a budget build. If your looking for something a little more secure and the ability to free up bed space and secure gear or keep your hitch free this is my setup.

Pace Edwards ultragroove

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chippedgti View Post
    Hey guys been mountain biking since 2014 down here in Florida and have always used tie straps to secure my bike down in the bed. Was going to shell out $300+ for a fancy hitch rack but then my friend got in my ear and told me why am I going to put a hitch rack on a truck and not utilize the bed itís not like I have a cover on the bed or anything. Got to thinking and decided I was tired of having to tie strap it but didnít want to lose out on the bed of the truck. Decided to look around online for fork mounts and found some that worked for the bikes Iím hauling around. Bought 3 fork adapters, a piece of 2x6 wood and the total cost was $37.45. Pics of the rack are below let me know what you think!

P.S. Don't mind the Go-Kart tires in the pic, I use them to stop my kart from hitting the rack when im headed to the track.

Good system. How are the 2x6s secured to the bed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just jammed it in kept shaving the wood little by little till it had the most pressure possible but was able to slide into place

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by chippedgti View Post
    Just jammed it in kept shaving the wood little by little till it had the most pressure possible but was able to slide into place
    You could turn the 2x6 and lay it down. Did this for years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1