Ditching Yakima Roof Rack--go hitch or trunk?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Ditching Yakima Roof Rack--go hitch or trunk?

Ok, so the paint on my mazda6 has really taken a hit from my yakima roof rack with Q-towers (yes, I re-checked my measurements and re-tightened everything so it doesn't move--got new "stickers" for the clips, etc etc). It's gotten bad enough that I've taken it off and I'm transporting my bike by folding down the back seats--obviously not a permanent solution.

So should I go with the high-end trunk racks like Saris, Thule, etc ($150-200 total)--which is definitely a cheaper option? OR, should I go to etrailer.com, order the hitch attachment for $180, and then buy a hitch rack for $150-250 or so (bringing my total to $450ish).

So, in your opinion, does the extra cost of a hitch system overcome the inconvenience of not getting into your trunk, etc?

Also, one other concern: if I get a hitch rack, I'll get a 2-bike system, probably tray-type. My concern is possibly scraping the track/hitch on things when driving over steep areas--what experience have you had with that?

Thanks for any input.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslikesnake

So, in your opinion, does the extra cost of a hitch system overcome the inconvenience of not getting into your trunk, etc?

Also, one other concern: if I get a hitch rack, I'll get a 2-bike system, probably tray-type. My concern is possibly scraping the track/hitch on things when driving over steep areas--what experience have you had with that?

Thanks for any input.
    yes...if you plan on riding regularly and will have the rack on the vehicle, then yes...you will get more value out of a hitch rack than a trunk mount.

as far as rear clearance goes, a tray style rack is going to stick out from the back of the car...i guess it depends where you plan on taking it and how hard the trailheads are to access where you'll have to worry about bottoming out.

Drunken fool
    I had roof racks for nearly 20 years and about 2 years ago went to a hitch mount...won't go back. The hitch mount won't detract from your mileage when not in use and IMO is much easier to load and use than a roof rack. I went to my local REI scratch and dent sale and found a Thule T2 for $50, bought a hitch for about $100, and am now much happier with that setup over the Yak roof mount. My wife is a near midget at 5' so the hitch mount is much easier for her than the roof mount.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

Kaishingo
    Trunk racks still touch the paint. They also tend to squirm more then roof racks, meaning they're more prone to rubbing the paint.

I just installed a hitch on my bimmer wagon - now looking for the rack part. Don't worry about clearance. You'll scrape sometimes on really steep driveways, but hitch racks are so sturdy, you'll realize it doesn't really matter.

The entire hitch set-up should be close in price to the entire roof rack. Sell the rack and maybe recoup some of those funds?

jrm
    mtbr member

Imo

get a 1.25" hitch and a performance export rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    get a 1.25" hitch and a performance export rack.
    Good combo imo as well, Gas was killing me in my f250 diesel so i just picked up a 1.25" hitch from uhaul for my focus ($119 shipped) and plan to stop by performance at lunch as they have the export racks on sale for $179 plus 10% off tues. lunch special and just to make sure there isn't a deal like wheelefreak got rei is about 2 blocks from performance so i will stop by there on the way and make sure they do not anything on sale. good luck whichever way yo go

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm looking to go opposite ~ I have a Saris Bones x3 bike trunk mount And I'm lookin to go Yakima Roof rack.

All the trunck mount / hitch mounts that I see scratch up the bikes ~ Either beating them together or rubbing the frame paint / cables. Roof mount is clean...

My Epic cost 2x more then my Acura TL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for all the advice, guys

UPDATE:
    Sold my entire Yakima Q-Tower rack on Craigslist last week. With the proceeds (and more cash on my end), I bought a 1.25" Curt Hitch Receiver from Amazon, and the 1upUSA Quick-Rack.

I'll be installing the receiver this weekend (hopefully) and the Quick-Rack is scheduled to be delivered next week. I'm SO tired of loading my bike into my trunk with the seats folded down!
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

Members who have read this thread: 0