Dilemma: replace base rack or go hitch? Thule content inside- Mtbr.com
    I <3 dirt

Dilemma: replace base rack or go hitch? Thule content inside

So at the end of last season my oem load bars decided to fail on me (leaving some nice dents in my roof as well!) and it's time to figure out what to do. I've got 2 Thule sidearm 594xt bike trays which I love but I've been eye balling the Thule 917T2 hitch rack because it's essentially the same setup as the sidearm xt's. Price wise (assuming selling the sidearm trays) they come out very similar.

Pluses of a roof rack:
    out of the way
    Easy access to rear hatch
    Negatives: gas mileage
    Somewhat of a pain getting my bike up and down

Pluses of hitch rack: better mpg's
    Easier loading
    Negatives: might scrape (car lowered)
    Extra length to my car
    More work to get to rear hatch

Somebody help me decide which to get!

Oh and before anybody says it; no 1up rack. Must be Thule.

More Torque
    There has been a ton of debate on the roof versus hitch subject, but since no one else has responded, I'll help you, if you are still on the fence.

Go with the hitch.

-D

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post

Pluses of hitch rack: better mpg's
    Easier loading
    Negatives: might scrape (car lowered)
    Extra length to my car
    More work to get to rear hatch

Somebody help me decide which to get!

Oh and before anybody says it; no 1up rack. Must be Thule.
    Usually the decent racks like Thule, 1up, etc, have a design that gets higher the further you move rearward. On a WRX and now lower camaro no scraping problems. It's kind of hard to given the way they design it. It is extra length though. Getting to the hatch is easy with the "tilt down" feature of course, not quite as easy as not having anything there, but still pretty good. Best thing about it is you can take it off and put it back on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I <3 dirt
    I've got the T2 and receiver on its way hopefully by tomorrow.

Do you have a wrx wagon? That's what I've got and those were my concerns but it sounds like I'm in the clear. I did hear I'd have to deal with one of the plastic wheel holders hitting the bumper when folded up but cutting a bit off doesn't seem like a big deal.

ballbuster

x2

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    There has been a ton of debate on the roof versus hitch subject, but since no one else has responded, I'll help you, if you are still on the fence.

Go with the hitch.

-D
    Hitch, totally. Just get in the habit of driving out of driveways at an angle, and that takes care of most of the scrapes. Plus, scrapes are no big deal, unless you're reversing.

I have an A4 with the sport package... factory lowered an extra 1.5". My 1Up scrapes on driveways if I'm not careful. The scrapes are on the bottom of the rack where it doesn't really do anything, other than make ugly noises inside the car.

It's pretty low back there, and my car has a lot of overhang behind the rear axle. My padlock on the towing eyes and security chain gets the worst of it if I don't take up the slack well enough.

I <3 dirt
    I already do the angled thing out of driveways because my front bumper will scrape if it's a big enough angle. My wagon is lowered almost 2" from stock so hopefully it's not a huge issue.

My order still says "shipping soon" from thule but my receiver showed up yesterday. Too bad it's raining today or I'd put it on after work.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I've got the T2 and receiver on its way hopefully by tomorrow.

Do you have a wrx wagon? That's what I've got and those were my concerns but it sounds like I'm in the clear. I did hear I'd have to deal with one of the plastic wheel holders hitting the bumper when folded up but cutting a bit off doesn't seem like a big deal.
    I had an 04 wagon, but I also had the OEM towbar with the exhaust cutout (nice for the aftermarket I had) and it possibly "tucks up" in there better than other aftermarket towbars? I'm not sure, but again, scraping was never an issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    any ideas for a lowered miata? Im tired of my saris bones3 because it prevents me from using my trunk.

I was looking at the Saris freedom2, which appears to be a much shorter design than anything else. Im hoping i can tuck it up next to the bumper and minimize any scraping. I need access to my trunk... i don't have a backseat to store stuff in!

Members who have read this thread: 0