decent first car with room to carry bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

decent first car with room to carry bikes

im looking to get my first car within the next few months and i was wondering what is a good car thats easy to find, good on gas mileage and is good for bike transport?

Kaishingo
    Any hatchback or wagon will be easiest to toss the bike in back - you'll usually have to take off the front wheel.

Buying new? Used? Price range? I've seen lots of Hyundai Elantra Tourings around recently. They have a pretty tall shape to them - I bet you could even rig something where the bike sits up straight in the back w/ the front wheel off. 30+ mpg and a banging warranty.

mtbr member
    used as im still in high school, (not for much longer moretime to ride finally) price range idk really i got a few grand saved so far , but am still saving so under 7-8 grand max, and thats stretching it a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A fair assumption is that any compact hatchback in your price range will fit a bike laying down with the front wheel off. When I was younger I had a Ford SVT Focus and it was fine holding my bike. Honda Civic hatch, VW Golf, etc etc.

You could also look at small SUV's like the Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav 4, Honda CR-V, and you could at larger SUV's if that's your thing.

Really, a ton of cars/trucks will accomdate a bike in that price range, so I would think of what else you'd want out of a car and then as long as it has a hatch or a pickup bed you're good to go in the bike department.

Also, you could always get a reasonable quality trunk mount bike rack for like $100 if you go for a sedan or coupe.

Kaishingo
    Mini-vans tend to have pretty poor resale value - I bet you could find a voyager or caravan in your price range. Best MTB transport out there. Sure, you'll be driving a mini-van. But think of all the possibilities in h-school!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX

You could also look at small SUV's like the Subaru Forester, ....
    Don't insult a Fox by calling it an SUV!!!! You, of all people, should know this!

Seriously though, small SUV, wagon or hatch should do the trick.

Hyundai Santa Fe's are pretty nice with a wicked sweet warranty and they don't cost much used... just one of many suggestions...

mtbr member
    Try to find a 4 cyl. Jeep Cherokee. They can be found pretty cheap on Craigslist and they are not too bad on gas either. Almost all are 4x4 and have a 2" reciever hitch which is a plus. You can get a rack to hold 5 bikes on the back, roof rack for 2 or 3, and/or throw 2 bikes in the back with the seat folded down. Or if you can afford the gas get some sort of a pickup, even a small Toyota with a 4 cyl. thats good on gas. I've got a fullsize truck (I'm still in highschool as well) and have room for 5 people and 5 bikes. 3 bikes in the bed on fork mount racks and 2 on a Yakima rack on the back.

mtbr member
    i would love to get a small pickup, as long as its good on gas, but im planning on buyinmg whatever i find localy thats in decent cond. with good mpg, and has room for at least two bikes

mtbr member
    Make sure to bring someone that has alot of car knowledge with you to point out the goods and bads. Luckily my father has been working on cars for 30+ years and helped me find the perfect vehicle. I've known alot of people who were suckered into buying a piece of crap for way too much money.

mtbr member
    my dad has also been working on cars his whole life (a stretch but not by far) so yeah i would def bring him to check out the car, first and i know a fair amount about cars myself, and being my dads a mechanic i dont need to hire one

mtbr member
    That's always a plus. I was able to save alot of money by buying a damaged truck (rolled on its side and smashed the body) and we were able to save about $9000 by doing the repair ourselves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henry9419
    i would love to get a small pickup, as long as its good on gas, but im planning on buyinmg whatever i find localy thats in decent cond. with good mpg, and has room for at least two bikes
    You are wise beyond your years for the bolded part. That's key when buying a used car. Also consider the sellers reason for getting rid of their car - are their needs changing or are they dumping a steaming pile of poo?

Stuff to look at:
    Honda Fit (should be getting cheap with some miles) - great car, I've owned one
    Honda CRV
    Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl
    Toyota Matrix
    Mazda 3 hatch
    4runner - not great on gas

Bro Mountainbiker
    small Toyota with a 4 cyl.
    Im not kidding when i say this, but this the reason why the Taliban and other middle eastern extremists love the Toyota helix. They use em non stop to transport people and even mount heavy ass machine guns on the back.

They are freaking indestructible and get pretty good MPG and are worthy off roaders.

Top gear did a test on one, dropped it off sh** and let the tide sweep it into the ocean. Then they recovered it and a mechanic got it running again in 20 mins with basic tools.

Its seriously as badass truck and i WILL own one in the future.

Here in America I believed they were just called "Toyota Trucks" in the 80s but im not really sure.

Sheepo
    Last edited by Sheepo5669; 01-26-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    oh yeah, and a bike or two will fit in the back.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 0