Custom Suburban wheel rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Custom Suburban wheel rack

I picked up a '99 4x4 Suburban for a lake/bike trip vehicle a few weeks ago and made up a carrying system I thought I'd share on here. Since I usually haul two bikes, I wanted a way to hold the wheels without them rattling around and possibly messing with the spokes. I called upon my plumbing and pvc skillz and came up with this little gem. It holds two 29er wheels just fine and keeps them off the bikes. All it took was a couple of sticks of 1" pvc and some 90º, 45º, and T fittings. It made it a lot easier having a chop saw, too. The little red Velcro™ strip holds the front of the rack to the spare tire cover. As it is now, everything sits great and doesn't rattle around, even though I may add a stabilizer foot or something on the back of the wheel holder for hard turns.

You can see it alone and with my Karate Monkey and Epic in the back. For the bikes, a 2x4, foam tape, and cleats were all I needed. I had the three bike setup sitting around from a previous three bike trip in a full size SUV and it transferred well. I could fit three bikes in the back with this setup, but it takes a bit of wrangling.

Just thought I'd share. I'm pretty happy with the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Suburban wheel rack-img_1338.jpg  

Custom Suburban wheel rack-img_1339.jpg  

Custom Suburban wheel rack-img_1341.jpg  

Custom Suburban wheel rack-img_1342.jpg  

born to chill
    I like the wheel rack that's very innovative. One question and one recommendation. The fork mounts, I assume that middle one is offset like that on purpose, why? You might consider making it attach to those tie down points somehow.

Anyway, looks good, I especially like the wheel holder.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    Thanks! we took atrip last year with my Epic, a Tallboy, and a K2 bike Before we left, we put them all in the back of the truck and placed them where they wouldn't touch each other. The Tallboy was in the middle with the cleat turned a bit to clear the K2. I just never have moved that cleat to any other position.

The wheel rack is meant to slide in and out with the wheels in it for ease of loading/unloading. That's why I didn't want to permanently tie it down. The part with the velcro strap holds up well, but the other end can lean over sometimes. I think if I put a brace/foot/whatever on the other end on the bottom it would help to stabilize. Then, it could still slide, as long as it didn't hit the wheel of the bike that is next to it. I don't foresee that being a big problem.