Curt hitch on a GTI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Curt hitch on a GTI

Had this installed today. Purchased from etrailer, installed by a great local body shop for $95. Now to make up my mind about a rack.

Bikesexual
    Wow I paid $45 at PepBoys.

Like the classic black plate.

The 1UP rack, rocks!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's hard to beat 1up for tray style racks. Speaking of tray racks, I'd be mighty careful of carbon wheels with that exhaust.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I've got a Curt on my GTI also. I'm using a Saris Superclamp. Found the rack for $200 on Craigslist. Paid $300 for everything.

Curt hitch on a GTI-img_20180307_162631.jpg

I take the rack off when not in use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just curious...I've got a MK7 GTI too and have debated going to a hitch rack.

How's the rear visibility with the bike on?

Does it handle funky with the bike on the rear? I like tossing my GTI around and always thought that extra weight would affect it.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Had this installed today. Purchased from etrailer, installed by a great local body shop for $95. Now to make up my mind about a rack.

The Curt hitches are a good value and will certainly function just fine but man I can't stand any hitch that has the crossbar completely visible under the bumper like that. I went with the Torklift hitch for my R and it's great but is also 2.2x the cost of the Curt.

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've got a Curt on my GTI also. I'm using a Saris Superclamp. Found the rack for $200 on Craigslist. Paid $300 for everything.

I take the rack off when not in use.
    I also have a Saris Superclamp and take it off when not in use. Other than not folding down (which the new EX models do), I love it. It is lightweight and holds bikes more securely than a 1up rack.

Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

Does it handle funky with the bike on the rear? I like tossing my GTI around and always thought that extra weight would affect it.
    I have a MK7 R with hitch rack. Rear visibility is just fine; the bikes block the camera view a bit but it's not an issue. Handling is unaffected, after all a two bike rack with bikes is usually less than 100 lbs. You would notice more of a difference with rear seat passengers. But I also take it a little bit easier with two bikes on the rack as any rack setup will wobble around a little bit.

mtbr member

Visibility is fine. The thought of not being able to see out of the back has never crossed my mind. The Curt does seem to sit a bit lower than some other hitches...so that may affect rear visibility too.

I usually don't drive too hard with bikes on the back. I've taken some quick turns here and there...and not really felt too much of a difference. If I yank a hard turn...I can see the bike move. I really don't recommend going for a spirited drive through a twisty road with your bike on the back though.

Elitest thrill junkie

Most of these receivers are around 30-40lbs or so, not a dramatic amount of weight, and they tend to "tie" the rear end together, like a brace, and you are adding weight in a location that will help to improve the F/R weight bias of a front-engined car, so I don't really see this as an issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, unless you are sensitive enough to feel a difference of 1-2 psi in your tires, or how your car handles differently with a passenger, or changing fuel load, I wouldn't sweat it...

mtbr member
    You're going to see your expensive rack and multi thousand dollar bike wobble all over just once before you tone down the driving with bikes on the rack

I trust my setup, but I'd rather not push it. The car will be fine, as will the handling. It's sketchy seeing bikes rock though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    The Curt hitches are a good value and will certainly function just fine but man I can't stand any hitch that has the crossbar completely visible under the bumper like that.
    ^^^This.

I ordered a MK7 as soon as they were announced so I had an early delivery car so had to be patient for a hitch.

I ended up with a DrawTite/Hidden Hitch that with a little time and work, tucks in nicely:

Curt hitch on a GTI-img_1749_zpsohbjxabj.jpg
    Curt hitch on a GTI-img_1732_zpsiitxye5y.jpg
    Curt hitch on a GTI-img_1734_zps7kg12wm3.jpg

I removed the chain rings and re-painted for an even cleaner install. And the Hidden Hitch is higher off the ground than the Curt - I've used all the additional clearance.

Just posting as an alternative for those visiting the thread. Enjoy your GTI.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    New hitch now usable...