Crossbars- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crossbars

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Crossbars

Looking for advice on crossbars for a Yakima rack I'm getting for a truck topper. I'm new to toppers and roof racks. I can get what are called Jetstream/Corebars which are more aerodynamic, or I can get the traditional round bars.

Does anyone have experience with these systems? I use hitch-racks. But I would like the ability to add a bike rack mount to the top and be able to haul cargo on top as well.

Thanks

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Looking for advice on crossbars for a Yakima rack I'm getting for a truck topper. I'm new to toppers and roof racks. I can get what are called Jetstream/Corebars which are more aerodynamic, or I can get the traditional round bars.

Does anyone have experience with these systems? I use hitch-racks. But I would like the ability to add a bike rack mount to the top and be able to haul cargo on top as well.

Thanks
    I have 4 sets of Yakima round bars on my truck: 2 on the camper top, and 2 on the cab. I donít carry bikes up there, but I do carry all manner of construction materials, boats, whatever. I couldnít justify the added cost of the newer aero stuff, and iirc, the load capacity is less with the aero bars. Iím perfectly happy with my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    I have the jetstream Yakima crossbars. I think they look great. Noise isn't that bad. You can hear it more on windy days. I currently carry one bike on them but will get another rack for my wife's bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The Jetsteams are pretty burley. Both the round bars and the Jetsteams are rated to 165 pounds, which is more than almost all vehicle roofs are rated for. The Jetstreams are very quiet, no fairing needed, and donít rust. If you have a bike attachment on them, you will get some wind noise from the attachment. The only advantage the round bars have is that they are cheaper. My experience with round bars, which dates back to 1982 until Jetstreams came out, is that they are very noisy. If I were going to carry ladders and lumber on a truck, I would go round bars. You probably wouldnít hear much if theyíre on a canopy, too far back. If I were going to carry bikes or kayaks on a car, SUV or wagon, Iíd go Jetstreams.

Big Mac
    From all accounts, fairings are good for creating even more noise/drag, and to some, a place to put stickers. The crossbar at the front, on the cab, was the only one that ever made a noise. Coiling a bungee cord around it solved that issue completely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks all for the input. Still debating, but your responses helped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One more question to muddy the waters, how wide should my crossbars be? I will not be hauling often, but I want some flexibility. I drive an F-150.

The ones I'm thinking of buying (CoreBars) come in 50, 60, 70 & 80 inches. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    I've had round bars on an old SUV, and three cars with sunroofs. I also have Thule Aero bars on a car with a sunroof.

The aero bars have a rubber cover that plugs into the "T-slot/track" to eliminate wind noise. When I install ski racks (Yakima Fat Cat) it's difficult to install that rubber cover and the dam* things whistle so badly I've stopped driving that car to the ski hill. Even with the sunroof closed, it's maddening.

I've never really noticed the round bars. Sure you hear a "whoosh" with the sunroof open but it's easy to ignore. I never heard them in the 20 years that I had the SUV but that thing was noisy enough without any racks.

My point being, they all make SOME noise and the "silent" aero bars can be surprisingly noisy depending on a number of factors. BUT, I would be surprised if you heard them at all once mounted to a truck topper well behind the cab.

As far as width, it's going to depend on which type of towers you use and how widely spaced (left to right) the towers are. That will depend on how the towers attach to your topper - does the topper have integrated "gutters" or are you drilling holes into it? You'll just need to make some measurements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    As far as width, it's going to depend on which type of towers you use and how widely spaced (left to right) the towers are. That will depend on how the towers attach to your topper - does the topper have integrated "gutters" or are you drilling holes into it? You'll just need to make some measurements.
    I planned on sliders, so I can change the spacing.

Big Mac

Crossbars

Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    I planned on sliders, so I can change the spacing.
    The width of the crossbars is a personal choice. Obviously, they need to be wide enough to work with the towers. As I mentioned, I carry a lot of stuff on mine, so I need the width, I think Iím 6-8Ē beyond the towers all the way around. Go too far past the towers, and the they become a hazard.

Last edited by mbmb65; 04-09-2019 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    The width of the crossbars is a personal choice. Obviously, they need to be wide enough to work with the towers. As I mentioned, I carry a lot of stuff on mine, so I need the width, I think Iím 6-8Ē beyond the towers all the way around. Go too far past the towers, and the they become a hazard.

Considering the towers will be inset from the edges of the topper, I guess I'll get crossbars that are close to the overall width of the truck. Hopefully, that will be enough but not too much.

Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Pisgah; 04-10-2019 at 06:48 AM.