Crooked Yakima HoldUp?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crooked Yakima HoldUp?

Look familiar to anybody? Brand new, bolted up tight to my receiver (tried it in the neighbor's hitch, same result). Looks like the "U" was welded onto the receiver arm crooked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crooked Yakima HoldUp?-p1030244.jpg  

Crooked Yakima HoldUp?-p1030248.jpg  

Last edited by cjn1014; 03-07-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Oops. I'd say it was not assemled / welded correctly. Local purchase hopefully? Time for an exchange. Mine sure doesn't do that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    of course not. online purchase/gift three months ago, this was the first weekend it's been nice enough to put it together. hope yakima's warranty department comes through...

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Bummer. I sure they'll replace that part without issue. On a lighter note, you'll love the rack. I just used the plus two addition on mine and it worked like a dream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, call Yakima on that. They should not ask you to send the whole thing back. If they do, ask them why and tell them not to be so idiotic....it is a pain (and expensive) to ship a complete rack. Let us know how it turns out.

Slowest Rider
    I agree. Call for warranty repair. Send them the pics.

My Holdup has been working super! Wish I'd got it years ago and I wouldn't have so many other useless racks in my garage. Attaches in seconds. Bikes load in seconds.

My bigger problem has been my car frame and hitch with the heavy load of the four-bike extension, even though it's a Class III hitch.
    1. My car U-beam cracked from the heavy load and poor hitch fit. So I had the sheet metal reinforced with thick steel plates.
    2. The hitch would droop down on the heavy four bike load, leaving less clearance than I'd like. I had my Hidden Hitch receiver adjusted by cutting, welding, and reinforced to go a few degrees up.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

code: mtbr2011
    you've got the wrong bolt going through the the base piece that attaches to the hitch tongue.
    that bolt, with the extra nub sticking out is for attaching the rack to the hitch.
    perhaps you have tweaked things a little?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what are you talking about? there is one hitch pin that attaches the 2" base to the vehicle hitch. the next one is the actual pivot, with a shaped end to secure the lock. everything is in its right place, nothing was tweaked.

in other news, yakima is going to send out another 2" base, didn't require a return of the original piece.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014
    in other news, yakima is going to send out another 2" base, didn't require a return of the original piece.
    Did this fix it? I just installed a new rack, and mine looks identical (crooked).
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Mine is doing the same thing, but I've been using it and had no problems. My first guess was that the screw that is included with it only threads through one end (it goes out the other end, but doesn't thread to a nut.) I was going to replace the screw with my old screw/nut setup as I believe that tightening the nut on the other side would raise the left side and flatten it out. I've also been thinking about going with a shim under the left side to correct the sagging problem. Maybe I'll give that a shot this afternoon.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    Mine is doing the same thing, but I've been using it and had no problems. My first guess was that the screw that is included with it only threads through one end (it goes out the other end, but doesn't thread to a nut.) I was going to replace the screw with my old screw/nut setup as I believe that tightening the nut on the other side would raise the left side and flatten it out. I've also been thinking about going with a shim under the left side to correct the sagging problem. Maybe I'll give that a shot this afternoon.
    Let me know how it turns out....and it you use any shims, if you could take a pic or two that would be awesome!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    this is the replacement, somewhat better, not much, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crooked Yakima HoldUp?-p1030526.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014
    this is the replacement, somewhat better, not much, though.
    Mine looks nearly identical, except mine tilts to the right!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "made in china, but it's got a lifetime warranty", the unfortunate new mantra for alot of businesses.

mtbr member
    That"s still not right. Mine is straight up with no tilit either direction. Crackandracks was trying to tell you that the bolt you have installed at the pivot point looks like the bolt that is supposed to go through the hitch to hold the rack tight in the hitch. Could that be part of the problem? I'd take that rack to your local yakima dealer to get it sorted out.

that bolt i referred to is preinstalled with the rack.
    i've never seen this until this forum. we have installed a few this week and they all seem fine, except we just unboxed a new one for display, and sure enough it lists to the left.
    one thing we did do, was tighten the bolt referenced above...

i just hung up with yakima...they are aware of this problem and recognize some welds are out of place. their fix is to replace the spine - the finished portion of the rack that the bike trays attach to.

they're good people over there at yakima....they have a solid warranty and stand behind it....i think that's worth alot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i had the black hitch assembly replaced under warranty, with the resulting same problem. The pivot bolt is a smaller diameter than the hitch bolt, although it does have the same shaped head for securing the yakima lock.

I guess I'll have another go around with Yakima warranty...

i think the tongue going into the hitch is fine....it's the "spine" that is the potential issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yakima is going to send a complete assembly this time, we'll see. cs was very easy to work with, fwiw. no games, at least.

for what it's worth....a solid warranty is worth a lot!
    there are lots of racks out there, and everyone wants the best value for their money. i'm glad to represent yakima. when we have warranty issues, they stand behind their product.
    nobody likes doing warranty work, or dealing with warranty work, but someone has to be accountable, and i'm glad to know they are taking care of you on this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a craked cup (where the rear wheel sits into) out of the box, they sent a replacement out right away... now I'm going to have to check and see if my rack sits crooked like this - I didn't notice anything when I put it all together though!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well I'm relieved to see that someone else out there had the same problem as me. My holdup lean the the right. Good to hear that others had good luck with warranty from Yakima!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just got my Holdup today and sure enough I noticed it is crooked as well. I also noticed the left side sits a touch higher than the right once I mounted my bikes on it. Nonetheless, it's not impeding functionality so I'll likely leave it alone.

Members who have read this thread: 2