Crashing the Thule T2- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Junkie

Crashing the Thule T2

I was rear ended last Friday morning with the T2 on the back of the Jeep. Noticed that it suffered a little damage and needed to be cut off so one could open the hatch. Tried unbolting and drilling w/o any luck as the bolts were no longer straight.

Amazing as it felt like a soft hit when the driver went under the rack, but then again I'm no expert. Going into the body shop tomorrow evening. Not sure if I should take all pieces of twisted an cut metal with or not for the appraisal. Any recommendations?

code: mtbr2011
    get a new one....if you were rear ended, it was the other driver's fault, and you may not see the stress cracks in the metal.
    they are not designed for that type of impact, no matter the speed.

banned
    Jul 2012
    I agree with last one,that was not your fault,just get a new one..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    totally... let them figure it out. bring a receipt for it if you can, if not, print out the list price off their website. either way, they should cover it.

Single Speed Junkie
    Follow up to initial post.

I talked with State Farm late last week and they are covering the complete cost of a new rack. Learned that the Car suffered $1,800 in damages from the accident not including the rack and it will be completely covered as well.

I would have posted the followup sooner. Unfortunately house was robbed last week cleaning us out.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Follow up to initial post.

I talked with State Farm late last week and they are covering the complete cost of a new rack. Learned that the Car suffered $1,800 in damages from the accident not including the rack and it will be completely covered as well.

I would have posted the followup sooner. Unfortunately house was robbed last week cleaning us out.
    Holy cr^p if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any.. Could there be a link between the accident and the home robbery as in exchanging info after the accident? I don't believe in coincidence too much....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i had an old sportwerks that was bumped many times on my 4runner. I ended up putting those red reflective stickers on it so idiots would see it and would not hit it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Gosh that sucks, ive been waiting for these manufactures to put led lights on the racks with wiring that plugs into the vehicle

mtbr member
    I feel safer with a bike on the hitch rack because the bike is easier to see than a folded rack is. Biggest danger is when parallel parked on the street.

Members who have read this thread: 1