Converting a 1.25" hitch rack to 2"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Converting a 1.25" hitch rack to 2"

I currently have a 1.25" Yakima Hold Up, but I'm getting a Jeep which has a 2" hitch. I called Yakima, in order to change the rack to 2", I'd be talking $110. I thought about having someone weld thin metal plates on the hitch part to make it 2", but I just want to make sure that's safe. I found a couple websites that say never weld any part of a hitch, but since this isn't a several thousand pound trailer, rather just 100lbs of rack and bikes, I feel like it might be okay.

Before anyone asks, I did consider an adapter, but I also need a drop hitch in order to be able to open the tailgate, and that plus an adapter will cause way too much sway. So if welding doesn't work, I'll be spending $110.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You need a Yakima adapter part number 8890174 from a Stickup. You can see it here: Yakima Shop Bike Hitch StickUp

Should work just fine. It's basically a block that slides over your 1.25" tube and makes it a 2".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If Yakima makes a block adapter that slides over and thinks that's safe enough, you should be fine if you get a section of square stock welded on. The pin still goes through all the parts at the receiver. If it was a travel trailer it would be a different story. It's a bike rack. Fully loaded it's probably still less than 150 pounds...

Personally - I'd buy the Yakima part and either pop a couple of bolts into it, or have it welded.

mtbr member
    Here's a $13 solution: 2" to 1-1/4" Hitch Adapter
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Yes, that's the way I would go, but he said he didn't want to stick it out any further than it was and that those rattled too much for his tastes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmboarder View Post
    Yes, that's the way I would go, but he said he didn't want to stick it out any further than it was and that those rattled too much for his tastes.
    Oops, my reading comprehension skills must be sub par today.

I know that Kuat racks have an adapter that goes on their Sherpa rack to make it 2 inch. You might see if that is an option for you.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    my chepo bell hitch rack came with a little screw on adapter block/shim that made it fit either size of hitch... i'm sure there is something like that out there
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    That's kind of what the Yakima part is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian View Post
    Here's a $13 solution: 2" to 1-1/4" Hitch Adapter
    Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for. On my way to harbor freight.

Members who have read this thread: 6