Continental Extreme Contact DWS Car Tire Passion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Continental Extreme Contact DWS Car Tire Passion

After being tremendously satisfied with my current Conti Race King Protections and past Mountain King Supersonics, when it was time for new tires for my car, it only made sense to give the Continentals a try. After close to a year in service, I am again super satisfied. They were similar in cost to what the tire dealer had in stock, but I had them special ordered. I went with the Extreme Contact DWS in a 17" on my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon. They have incredible grip in wet and dry and do very well in the snow for an all-season tire. The DWS stands for Dry, Wet, Snow. The tread is embossed with a D, a W, and an S at different depths. As the tread wears, the letters for the suitable road conditions dissappear, letting you know that they are no longer suited to those conditions. Kind of a gimmick, but handy, nonetheless. Wear has been great, considering my spirited driving. I had one puncture, but since I see a lot of gravel, I'm not surprised. I think my favorite thing is that they don't squeal in hard cornering, avoiding undue attention.

I don't have any stock or interest in Continental, but I just wanted to share my good experiences. Anybody else love their Conti's?
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    haven't had complaints about the General Altimax Arctic

there are people that hate the ContiProContacts that come on many cars

Old Dude
    May 2008
    After perusing the Tire Rack website for about an hour reading all the reviews, I ordered a set of Extreme Contact DWS for my GTI. Had them fitted for about 3 months now.. the hype is justified. Best tire I have ever had in the wet and better than any other All-Season I've ever had in the snow.

I will put these on my B7 Avant when it needs tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have the DWS on my X5. Have done well in the snow. Been pleased with the tire wear. Replace Dunlop Runflats (OEM) for less than half the cost.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Yeah, I got them on my Twin-Turbo Audi allroad. I can easily scale a 25% grade with zero wheelspin...remarkable tires!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    haven't had complaints about the General Altimax Arctic

there are people that hate the ContiProContacts that come on many cars
    Conti's are love and hate. I was on the hate side.

Tried a set of the Extreme Contact's on the car a few years back (not the DWS), and loved them when dry, when wet. But after just 10k, they were pretty much shot, and downright scary. Dealer was less than helpful when trying to talk about treadwear warranties too...

I knew we drive a bit aggressively and will wear through tires, but, eeks.

If they improved the longevity of the tires, would still like them, but can't afford to replace tires that often on a daily driver.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got these for my 2006 subie legacy. Cant wait to put them one and check them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Conti's are love and hate. I was on the hate side.

Tried a set of the Extreme Contact's on the car a few years back (not the DWS), and loved them when dry, when wet. But after just 10k, they were pretty much shot, and downright scary. Dealer was less than helpful when trying to talk about treadwear warranties too...

I knew we drive a bit aggressively and will wear through tires, but, eeks.

If they improved the longevity of the tires, would still like them, but can't afford to replace tires that often on a daily driver.

JmZ
    the DWS has a treadwear rating of around 500.... high enough for you?

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    the DWS has a treadwear rating of around 500.... high enough for you?
    The tires I had were these.

I don't remember if the treadwear was 400/460/other. I just know they the fastest wearing tires I ever owned. They handled well when the tread was good, and if the newer ones are better then the set I had they would be great tires. Don't hold a grudge or anything, just hope their new stuff is better.

My local dealer was for crap when trying to deal with the treadwear issue.

The treadwear number is just a number to me. Had other tires, BF Goodrich's in fact, with very similar numbers, on the same car, that lasted far longer. Doubt the car had a better alignment after the Conti's, or my driving style changed greatly. I'd rather go with someone who has some experience in how they work and had a review than what was stamped on the side.

That's all.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've got them on my evo X. At first I was really disappointed with them, but after de-tuning and pulling parts off to get back down to around 350hp, I experience a lot better grip when accelerating. They're definitely no replacement for snow tires, but for a/s, they do really well on dry and wet, and adequate in the snow.

Bandolero

Pig in the parlor

Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    I think my favorite thing is that they don't squeal in hard cornering, avoiding undue attention.
    WRX owner here. My passengers squeal in hard cornering, canceling out any tire noise. I hate that.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the DWS on my acura TSX in a size 245/40/19 and I think they are pretty darn good, especially for the price. They grip like hell in dry and wet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I work at a Mercedes dealer as a tech, and we see several cars that come from the factory

with ContiSportContacts. Talk about a poorly wearing tire, customers generally get about

15-20k miles on the rear tires, tops. Now keep in mind these tires usually come on the sport

package equipped benz's. What people do not realize is that they are trading longevity for

performance. Theoretically a softer tire grips better than a hard tire, and therefore a it

deteriorates quicker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    The tires I had were these.

I don't remember if the treadwear was 400/460/other. I just know they the fastest wearing tires I ever owned. They handled well when the tread was good, and if the newer ones are better then the set I had they would be great tires. Don't hold a grudge or anything, just hope their new stuff is better.

My local dealer was for crap when trying to deal with the treadwear issue.

The treadwear number is just a number to me. Had other tires, BF Goodrich's in fact, with very similar numbers, on the same car, that lasted far longer. Doubt the car had a better alignment after the Conti's, or my driving style changed greatly. I'd rather go with someone who has some experience in how they work and had a review than what was stamped on the side.

That's all.

JmZ
    I agree on the wear rating as being just a number. The manufacturer comes up with that number. I've gotten 50K miles out of tires with a 140 wear rating. All it means is if the tire starts to develop any noise or odd behavior you just have to live with it longer. I've read that these tires start to develop issues after 10K miles. Would like to hear from those who have put over 40K miles on them. I need to get some tires that last longer than 25K miles for my wifes car. Not many choices out there in a 225 40 18. The Conti's are definitely priced right.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 01-16-2011 at 02:07 AM.

ballbuster

I wanted to get a set of those...

Quote Originally Posted by CRogge
    After being tremendously satisfied with my current Conti Race King Protections and past Mountain King Supersonics, when it was time for new tires for my car, it only made sense to give the Continentals a try. After close to a year in service, I am again super satisfied. They were similar in cost to what the tire dealer had in stock, but I had them special ordered. I went with the Extreme Contact DWS in a 17" on my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon. They have incredible grip in wet and dry and do very well in the snow for an all-season tire. The DWS stands for Dry, Wet, Snow. The tread is embossed with a D, a W, and an S at different depths. As the tread wears, the letters for the suitable road conditions dissappear, letting you know that they are no longer suited to those conditions. Kind of a gimmick, but handy, nonetheless. Wear has been great, considering my spirited driving. I had one puncture, but since I see a lot of gravel, I'm not surprised. I think my favorite thing is that they don't squeal in hard cornering, avoiding undue attention.

I don't have any stock or interest in Continental, but I just wanted to share my good experiences. Anybody else love their Conti's?
    ... but the size my car takes was on backorder for months, and I couldn't wait. My tires were bald, and rainy season was here. The car was scary in the rain, even with Quattro. Q' doesn't make you stop faster in a straight line. It is awfully nice when hard cornering under power, tho.

I ended up getting Yokohama's equivalent long wearing, gas saving, all around tire with good stick, the Avid whatever it is... can't remember the name.

Gotta say, the stick is pretty amazing for a 60k mile tire in the rain and the dry. I don't know about snow and ice, since we don't get snow here.

I am disappointed in the gas saving aspect. I keep close tabs on the tire pressure and my gas mileage, and they are slightly worse than the worn out sporty Nexen tires they replaced with a 280 treadwear rating (which had really good stick as well). The Yokohamas are rated at 520 IIRC, so the compound is quite a bit harder. Also, I just got sick of only getting 2-3 years at best out of a set of tires.

I hear amazing things about those Continentals. I wish I could have held out.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-16-2011 at 01:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blue95xj
    I work at a Mercedes dealer as a tech, and we see several cars that come from the factory

with ContiSportContacts. Talk about a poorly wearing tire, customers generally get about

15-20k miles on the rear tires, tops. Now keep in mind these tires usually come on the sport

package equipped benz's. What people do not realize is that they are trading longevity for

performance. Theoretically a softer tire grips better than a hard tire, and therefore a it

deteriorates quicker.
    Well what you are talking about is erroneous since sport contacts are a different tire than the DWS. The DWS has a 500 treadwear rating. Mine looks new after 15000 miles. So your wrong these tires bud.

Kaishingo
    Slightly off-topic - but I just noticed that Conti's newest ContiSportContacts incorporate Black Chili technology.

Black Chili FTW!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hyrepower
    Well what you are talking about is erroneous since sport contacts are a different tire than the DWS. The DWS has a 500 treadwear rating. Mine looks new after 15000 miles. So your wrong these tires bud.
    Right, I understand that these are different tires, but someone had mentioned the extreme

contacts and stated that they were dissatisfied with their wear. Just merely sharing my

experience with Continental tires in the same manor others were. So no need to be a ******

Members who have read this thread: 0