Complete noob. Need rack for Corolla. Security is top priority. Only one bike.- Mtbr.com
    yep

Complete noob. Need rack for Corolla. Security is top priority. Only one bike.

I'm looking to get a rack for the first time. Car is a 2015 Corolla. I really have no idea about what company to look at, and what kind of system. Should I be looking at the big companies like Thule or Yakima, or are there others that are worth a look.

The price difference between a rack system and a trunk rack is pretty substantial. And I cant quite tell the level of security when it comes to a trunk rack being secured to the car. I'll have a cable or chain on the bike regardless, but I'm curious how each kind of system works. I'll be on roadtrips often and moments when I won't have a line of sight on the vehicle I'd like to have some piece of mind.

Bike has 15mm through axle, if fork mount ends up being a good option.

Thanks for any help.

since 4/10/2009
    a trunk rack can be removed from the vehicle with a pocket knife to the straps of most models. Some use braided steel cable, which is easily clipped with diagonal cutters. Security is not their strong suit.

No rack outside the car is all that secure. It seems like I tell this story too often, but I had a customer looking to buy a new rack a couple summers ago (I work PT at a shop) because his rack was CUT off his vehicle (with 2 bikes on it) with a battery-powered reciprocating saw in less than 30 seconds. Dude had line-of-sight on it and it didn't matter.

Roof racks have been getting stolen off of vehicles at trailheads for longer than I've been riding (it's about 19 years for me now).

Now with that said, if a professional thief wants your bike, they'll get your bike no matter what you do to it. Put it inside the vehicle, they'll break in. The list goes on. Those guys are rare. You want to protect against the opportunist. The meth addict looking for whatever is an easy score. The klepto who swipes things because they can. For those people, you want a solid lock to attach your rack to your vehicle. You can lock down roof racks and you can lock a hitch rack to your car with a locking hitch pin. Those locks can be defeated, but it adds steps to do so. You also want locks to lock your bike to the rack. Some hitch racks and many roof racks have options for included or built-in locks. Or you can add your own locks. Sometimes adding your own on top of any built-in locks makes things look even more buttoned down and the added time might even encourage pros to move along.

Hitch rack is generally preferred these days for many reasons. Roof racks have advantages, but the disadvantages kinda suck. Putting the bike up there and getting it down. Low clearance parking structures, drive-thrus, trees, etc. Wind resistance and fuel economy reduction. Hitch racks are problematic for rear-enders and sometimes ground clearance on steep hills/driveways.

I've had roof racks for years. I still have two, but I use them for boats. My bikes go either on a hitch rack (Kuat NV) or inside my car (Honda Fit, plenty of space to clamp the fork in a mount and have the bike upright for transport).
    Last edited by Harold; 02-27-2016 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    To answer your question for roof racks, yes Thule or Yakima. For a Corolla I would probably go roof rack honestly. While the roof rack i more expensive once you factor in installing a hitch on a Corolla for a hitch rack you may be close in price.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    a hitch rack can be removed from the vehicle with a pocket knife to the straps of most models. Some use braided steel cable, which is easily clipped with diagonal cutters. Security is not their strong suit.
    Did you mean to say "trunk rack"?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Did you mean to say "trunk rack"?
    oops, yeah. brain's faster than my fingers.