compact suvs and 2 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

compact suvs and 2 bikes

Anyone know of a compact suv that can carry 2 bikes inside (assume you take off the wheels)? Can a Mariner?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I Do!!!

I have a 99 Suzuki Grand Vitara and I can fit two bikes w/rear wheels on in the back w/the seats down. I also have had two bikes in the back of a 2008 Toyota RAV4 also w/rear wheels on and the rear seats down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just take the front wheels off and I load my two bikes upright in a Honda CRV 03. They take about half the space of the total rear area so I still have plenty for gear, front wheels... If we are 3 adults, then I put two bike on my roof rack, one bike inside with the guear and 3 people. Plenty of space in most small suv to cary bikes, just make sure it is high enough, like CRV and RAV4, otherwise you have to put the bikes on their side and have no space left. For example, one of my friends has a big Pathfinder, I always laugh at him because the inside is not tall enough to load the bikes so when we take his big SUV we are struggling to load the bikes and stuff above them while in my small SUV everthing fits perfectly. No idea about the Mariner though.

mtbr member
    I can easily fit two bikes and gear in my forester with the back seats folded down and the front wheels off. haven't tried to see if i can stand them up. i've been laying bikes flat in the backs of cars going back to my CRX 10 years ago so its just habit.

Birthday Collector
    I'll second the point on the 2nd Generation ('02 - '05) Honda CR-V. I can, if I remove the smaller side rear seat, get THREE bikes in the back (wheels off) with the wheels in the back with hydration packs, helmets, etc... and have room for 3 adults and no bikes outside in the wind or elements. Great vehicle. You might also be able to do that in the newest RAV4 - they are set-up very much like the older Hondas. Not sure about the new CR-V, changed in '07. For a distance road trip, I use the Thule Atlantis 18 on the top, and can get 2 bikes in there (wheels off, again) and 2 inside with gear for a 3-person road trip. I put my Ransom and my XXIX in the top with a couple of the wheels from the other bikes, some smaller duffels etc... in the Thule, and the rest inside. Just did this trip to Fruita a couple of months ago. 3 people and around 25 mpg ain't bad! If I were buying today though, I think I'd get the new RAV4 - don't like the looks and back opening on the new CR-V.

Members who have read this thread: 0