Compact hitch for Compact Car?- Mtbr.com
    JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Compact hitch for Compact Car?

Got a newer Mazda 3, and want to put the bikes on the back.

Any preference in hitches for the car? Not planning on towing with it, just putting a bike rack and 2 bikes. So not too worried about the weight capabilities.

Any recommendations on a hitch that is easy to install, inexpensive, and is pretty stealthy. Don't need a hitch that will hit on a steep driveway.

I had a roof rack with the last car, and wanted to try the hitch rack this time around. The noise and loss of mpg hurt with the old car, hoping the hitch rack will be better.

Any pointers appreciated.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i think any hitch on the back of a Mazda 3 will hit on a steep driveway. i doubt there are many off-the-shelf options (if at all) so i would just go to the local Uhaul and see what they have.

If you're worried about mpg, you could try a trunk mounted rack. you don't need to spend $300 on a hitch, and the rack itself is also much cheaper.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    double post

ballbuster

Get the biggest...

Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Got a newer Mazda 3, and want to put the bikes on the back.

Any preference in hitches for the car? Not planning on towing with it, just putting a bike rack and 2 bikes. So not too worried about the weight capabilities.

Any recommendations on a hitch that is easy to install, inexpensive, and is pretty stealthy. Don't need a hitch that will hit on a steep driveway.

I had a roof rack with the last car, and wanted to try the hitch rack this time around. The noise and loss of mpg hurt with the old car, hoping the hitch rack will be better.

Any pointers appreciated.
    ... hitch receiver your car will accept. Unfortunately, this will probably be a 1 1/4" Class II. Not to worry. Loads of good racks out there for 1 1/4", but most of them only hold two bikes. You can always adapt a 2" hitch down, but harder to adapt back up.

Don't get a flat plate type hitch. There are no bike racks that fit that. There are a couple of hitches that can clamp to the ball, but they are generally low rent cheapo racks.

*edit*

Yeah, and I'll add that hatchback racks (strap ons) just jack up your car. I say avoid them. They also work loose, so you have to keep an eye on them, snug them up once in a while on your road trip.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 05-20-2011 at 09:32 PM.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... hitch receiver your car will accept. Unfortunately, this will probably be a 1 1/4" Class II. Not to worry. Loads of good racks out there for 1 1/4", but most of them only hold two bikes. You can always adapt a 2" hitch down, but harder to adapt back up.

Don't get a flat plate type hitch. There are no bike racks that fit that. There are a couple of hitches that can clamp to the ball, but they are generally low rent cheapo racks.

*edit*

Yeah, and I'll add that hatchback racks (strap ons) just jack up your car. I say avoid them. They also work loose, so you have to keep an eye on them, snug them up once in a while on your road trip.
    Got a 2" receiver on the other vehicle. If it needs more bikes that one has the roof rack, and room for a hitch rack. Just want to drive something that won't eat gas quite that quick.

Saw the post on here... digging... digging...Mazda Forums. Swear I've seen the same pics here too.

Wondering if there is any preference over U-Haul, Hidden, Curt or something else a quick google search didn't find.

I've done the trunk racks (harder with the hatchback), roof racks. So know the benefits/drawbacks on each. I'm hoping to have something that's easy to remove and wont damage the car either. -> Pretty much means hitch rack. Plus I can then swap it to the other vehicle for bigger groups.

Thanks!
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Installed a hidden hitch on my GTI. It works great and getting rid of the roof rack was one one the best things I've done. You shouldn't have any issues with a steep drive way. My drive way is really steep and I've not had any issues with the hitch or the rack hitting.

Members who have read this thread: 0