Combo Cargo and Bike Hitch rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Combo Cargo and Bike Hitch rack?

Does anyone have one, has anyone made one?

I'm thinking about swapping out the WRX wagon for a VW Cabriolet. (hint anyone wanna buy an 02 wrx wagon cheap?)

Anyways, I need to find a way to basically mount 2 bikes and occasionally a cooler + maybe a little other gear to a hitch mount. Before you ask, the dogs go in the backseat so that's full. Yes it's going to be a tight fit, but we don't all really fit in the wagon either so it's nothing new. And not something we do often. More often it's just the two of us going for a day ride, no problems there.

So, I've seen a couple that I didn't really like, but I wanted to know what you people have done. I'm no stranger to fabricating stuff if that's what it takes. I was thinking about getting the Thule T2 rack and building a small parcel shelf like rack to go where the 2 bike add on normally would.

I did a search, but didn't really find anything.
    Thanks!

-Sarah

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've seen people buy hitch mounted cargo carriers and then put roof rack hardware on it for carrying two bikes. That's a good way to go. You mount the roof rack to the top tube of the cargo carrier.

Here's an example of a cargo carrier with a tubular top bar.

Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

We don't have the roof parts, but any Yakima or Thule dealer could set you up with the parts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been thinking about doing something like that. I have 2 roof trays now so all I would need is the cargo carrier.

It's always good to hear that it's been done and I'm not crazy for trying it.

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0