cobra vs. king cobra durability?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

cobra vs. king cobra durability?

I'm looking at racks for my father and i like the concept of the king cobra a lot for his subaru outback. It's a 2006. The issue is that i don't like the consistency of reported issues with breakages as well as some particular red nob not staying tight.

Anybody know if that's been resolved? The issues were reported on the "Cobra" and there's no section for King Cobra reviews, so perhaps it's been fixed? What i looked for in the report was for someone posting how there's a few morons that just don't know how to set it up that's causing the failures, but i didn't see that, which makes me think it's a real problem. Unfortunately neither I nor he is probably very interested in whatever do-it-yourself fixes are available to make it good, which it seems there are. If it were for me, maybe, but we're both pretty busy and i've already got enough toys that still need some re-working in my life.

Thanks ahead of time.

just a man
    I've had no problems with the older and newer King Cobras. The only difference between the Cobra and King Cobra models are the locking cable. And I'm only like 50% moron too.

mtbr member

King

Quote Originally Posted by curious-e
    I'm looking at racks for my father and i like the concept of the king cobra a lot for his subaru outback. It's a 2006. The issue is that i don't like the consistency of reported issues with breakages as well as some particular red nob not staying tight.

Anybody know if that's been resolved? The issues were reported on the "Cobra" and there's no section for King Cobra reviews, so perhaps it's been fixed? What i looked for in the report was for someone posting how there's a few morons that just don't know how to set it up that's causing the failures, but i didn't see that, which makes me think it's a real problem. Unfortunately neither I nor he is probably very interested in whatever do-it-yourself fixes are available to make it good, which it seems there are. If it were for me, maybe, but we're both pretty busy and i've already got enough toys that still need some re-working in my life.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Hey curious e,

I have the new King Cobra-i too read the 'red nob' problems, but I assume that is fixed, as I've had bikes on mine for 4+ hour trips over 60mph and they are just as tight as when I left home. The only thing I forsee is the little ratchet thing for the back wheel stripping out. That still is a bad design, but Yakima has a good warranty, so I'm sure they'll just send a new peice when (not if) they strip out. After the first time used, they showed signs of wear!

One thing other than the locking feature I like is that the rack doesn't grab the bike by any painted surface-just the tires. My buddy has a wierd frame bike, and some traditional racks that grab the downtube would not work for him, and I don't like the idea of a clamp on my painted surface of the bike for several hours each trip.

Mine is also on an 06 outback, the only thing he needs to take into account is the rear hatch. He may want to set it up so the front of the bikes actually face the rear of the car...there is only about 1/4" clearnce between the tire tray & the rear hatch when its open on my setup.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, TOO!! Unless you've done it before, the installation on these is not intuitive, and the Yakima universal mounts have parts for 3 or 4 different setups!

ALSO, if he bought his Sub' new, there is a Torx driver in the glovebox. Make sure he tightens the factory roof racks BEFORE installing his Cobra. One of the screws on mine was a bit loose.

AND get the wind deflector. These things 'howl' from about 30mph to 45 or 50...and mileage goes WAAY down with bike up there, and even when the racks are empty it is noticeably lower.

I hope I havent' scared you from them, they are great--just a few things I have learned since I got mine I still like better than hitch--the bikes don't get filthy--actually they are cleaner when I get to destination if it rained/snowed. You should see the bikes that come off hitch racks after going down the gravel road to our fav riding spot.
    Ciao,
    John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've used the Kings on my cuz's car for a biking trip. I run Sportworks/Thule Sidearms and feel that my tray is far superiour to them. It is ultra easy, and faster. They also make a lot less noise and are very stable. I wouldn't leave it on the car for any length of time w/o watching over it, but I wouldn't do it for any rack if you value your ride.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Even if you forget to latch the red bolt, the rear wheel ratcheting thingy will hold the bike in place 'till you realized you screwed up. Never had a problem with the King Cobra.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Derailleurless
    They fixed the problematic red knob. It's called the Highroller
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Members who have read this thread: 0