Climbing aboard the 29er train, upgrade my fork mount racks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Climbing aboard the 29er train, upgrade my fork mount racks?

So come next week I'll have a new Anthem X 29, with a 15mm thru axle. Couldn't be more stoked. So now my concern is whether or not to keep my Yakima Steelhead. I know Yakima offers a 15mm fork adapter, but because my Anthem will be an XL, I'm concerned that the longer wheelbase will just barely fit the length of the tray, not to mention the wider tires I'll probably run wont fit. I had an XL 26" hardtail with 2.1 tires that went the entire length of the tray, where the wheel strap was at the back end of the tray. I'm not totally adverse to getting another rack. Maybe a hitch rack? or a roof mounted one, like the High Roller?

Is anyone else still using a fork mount with their 29er? What do you think?

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've mounted several 29's in my fork mounts and they fit snug. Mine are 20+ year old Yakimas - probably pre-steelhead. Recently got an XTC 29 with thru axle and I went with the Yakima Frontloader (new updated version). It feels secure and couldn't be easier to use - 30 seconds to load a bike. Nice product.

mtbr member
    I don't think you will have a problem with the length of the tray. I've mounted my 29er on a Thule Velo Vice Pro and Rocky Mounts with zero issues (I also have XL frames).
    Signature

code: mtbr2011
    i don't think it would be an issue either. since you're going to need an adapter for your thru-axle, the steelhead should be fine...it does have issues with some (not all) mountain forks, especially those with disc brakes and big tabs, but you should be fine....
    you can always replace wheelstraps if they're worn.

congrats on the new ride...you're going to love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 15mm adaptor can also be rotated forward, providing a extra inch or 2 of length to accomadate your longer wheelbase

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you use the 15mm adaptors with your steelhead you'll have no problem with tray length. The fork mount adaptors were around $45 and seemed like a PIA to use. Plus, my 29" wheel wouldn't fit my car top wheel holders so it had to ride inside. So I went with the Frontloader - $152 including 2 new locks (sale price), delivered to my door. I use my rack a lot and decided I'd rather spend my time riding than mounting bikes & wheels.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I'm using Rocky Mount trays with a Yakima 15mmTA adapter for my Scott 29'er. I even trimmed off about 3" from the back of the trays to clear the roof spoiler on the hatch of my MINI when opened, and it's still long enough. As noted, you can rotate the adapter to give you a couple extra inches if you need it, I don't with my setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    as soon as i saw the rocky mounts driveshaft, it was game over. a 15mm thru axle adapter that locks? hell ill probably get 2!