Classic Car Passion..- Mtbr.com
    Turner Homer

Classic Car Passion..

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there is anyone else on this site who is a classic car lover like myself, if you would like to post up some pics of your ride. I myself own a 72 ford ranchero, with a 351 cleveland which is being rebuilt, and the truck also got painted last year. I also use my ranchero during the summer months to haul around me and my bike to the local trails. All I have to say is they don't make them like they used to, have fun, and keep those classic cars alive.
    Dave

Last edited by dtrek4500; 02-11-2008 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice ride.

Always loved my cleveland motor (70 Torino GT), because you could pull the intake without disturbing the distributor or water passages. Plus it was really torquey.

Turner Homer
    Thanks, I am going onto my third year of owning it, and almost every bit of owning it has been fun and rewarding. Also in my opinion, and probably other people's opinions, it is probably one of the best motors ford produced.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice Ranchero!! It gives you the ride with the ability to throw you bike in the back as well.
    I have a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, and like you I also have a collector type truck. Its not as vintage as yours, but very quick...

Unfortunately its also one of the biggest money pits I have ever owned. My wife hates it though, so I think I should keep it awhile!

mtbr member

Camaro by Chevrolet

My '68 Camaro in our neighborhood 4th of July parade.
    camaro.JPG

Been mine in various states of disrepair for 21 years!

Turner Homer
    Very nice guys, keep them coming. I would also like to do a v8 conversion on a chevy s10 or ford ranger some day, becasue you could make those quick. That camaro of yours is one of my favorite years. Also here is a side shot of my chero so you could see the rear bed portion of the caruck which is what I call el caminos and rancheros.
    DAve

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    I have a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, and like you I also have a collector type truck. Its not as vintage as yours, but very quick...

Unfortunately its also one of the biggest money pits I have ever owned. My wife hates it though, so I think I should keep it awhile!
    That was a fun truck and they were quick. Really more of a bastard type vehicle that GM produced attempting to cram a motor into a body without doing the engineering behind the swap.

Still would be a fun truck to drive, not sure about own since I know that they require a bit of $$$ to keep up.

Turner Homer
    I just googled a pic of the corvair you said you had, and that is a pretty cool car. How is the motor in that considering it is like a Volkswagen beetle which is air cooled. Anyways nice car.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Take a look at my post "Vintage Volkswagen, anyone?" that is still fairly current here. But here's a little more about my '68 Beetle. I have bored and stroked the engine to 2110cc (stock was 1500cc for 1968), good for a best of 14.7s in the quarter mile with street tires and "highway" gears. I had had it almost ten years now, with the big engine in about eight of those years. It's definitely just a summer toy car, but I have a Yakima roof rack for it that can carry two bikes and a kayak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Wow Polk...I am diggin the turquois beetle man! I have owned 13 different VW's to date, but never an air-cooled bug. Yet. There is a local racer that used to run his 72 beetle at the drag strip. It was a street driven 10 second car with a huge turbo hanging off the back. More than a few folks fell prey to that killer bug!

I love american iron, but also have a love for cool imports so thanks for sharing!

Turner Homer
    Yeah, same here to a certain extent, those bugs could be terrors of the street. There is a guy at the local drag strip I race at sometimes that has a 1960's Austin Heily with a v8 squeezed into it and that thing runs low 11's, fast little sucker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    dtrek...thats funny that you should mention that Healey w/v8. When I was a teenager my buddies older sister had a big healey w/ a 327/4spd conversion. I got to drive it and it scared me $hitleSS. Very light car with tons of hp/tq = uncontrollable car!! His sister was a looker too!!

Regrading your earlier comments about the corvair, I am going to rebuild the flat 6 sometime this spring and am planning on doing a high compression build. I would also like to find a weber carb set-up, but thats pretty tough to find.The 65 and newer corvair chassis actually handles quite well, and a lot of folks still autocross corvairs. My goal will be to make the car into a low-slung roadster/spyder with 4wheel disk brakes and 17" wheel tires and upgraded suspension. The car, which was originally a showcar, was my dads and when he passed my mom gave it to me so I currently have $0 invested in it other than a car cover.

Bikeoholic
    No pictures right now, however, I own a 1974 Triumph TR6. I have a little work I need to do on it. (I just moved out to SoCal about 9 months ago and I'm finally getting it brought out here this weekend. I have some work to do on the electrical system (of course) and a little work to do on the floor boards. I'll post pictures when I get a chance...
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Thanks, I am going onto my third year of owning it, and almost every bit of owning it has been fun and rewarding. Also in my opinion, and probably other people's opinions, it is probably one of the best motors ford produced.
    Dave
    One of the best motors ever made, Ford or otherwise. With the staggered intake and exhaust valves (ala big block chevy), and great breathing, you could make more horsepower per cubic inch out of a cleveland motor than just about anything.

Turner Homer
    Yeah, the only flaws of a cleveland is the thin cylinder wall design which only allows you to do a overbore of 30 over max, and also the oiling issue with the main bearings. But besides these flaws and some others that I did not mention with these motors, they are badarse motors.
    Dave

mtbr member
    N10S i had my hands on the sister of the syclone, the typhoon and let it slip through my hands and ive been bummed ever since...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    N10S i had my hands on the sister of the syclone, the typhoon and let it slip through my hands and ive been bummed ever since...
    Yep, the typhoons are fast fun for four people! Nice leather interior as well, giving the vehicle a little more civility. There are still some low mileage Sy and Ty's out there, but they bring a premium. Keep an eye open and you will run across one. You can also check out www.sportmachines.com they have a classifieds and owners will sell trucks from time to time.

My syclone is on its second engine, and its running a few ATR speed parts including a stainless high-flow exhaust and auxilliary intercooler with monster IC pump. Its also fitted with a hi-flow K&N cone filter, a hi-volume/hi-cap fuel pump with seperate wiring harness, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I also have an ATR chip as well, but don't really care for it and have been running it with the stock chip until I can move to a 3bar chip set-up.

As is, using a g-tech as a loose reference, I see mid 4 second(4.4-4.6sec) 0-60 times, and the guy I bought it from years ago had a time slip with a 12.7 1/4 mile time. Once I go 3 bar and can run a tad bit more boost and fuel properly that number should be in the low 4 second range with the current turbo and stock tranny. You really have to consider the driveline impact when modding these trucks though, and moving to more bullet-proof propshafts is a good idea as are safety loops. On the negative side, if you don't like busted knuckles and cussing at inanimate objects for being so tough to work on, the Sy's and Ty's may not be your best choice .

Sorry for the long post. Truth is I love cycling, but my true love is fast cars..... .

Turner Homer
    Truth is I love cycling, but my true love is fast cars..... .[/quote]
    That explains me in a nutshell as fast cars both classic and non classic are my true love, but it is a hard decision if I had to pick one.
    Dave

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    This 64 Chevy II Nova used to be my daily driver I sold it about 8 months ago, though. Fun car. It had an 89 305 TPI with 5 speed manual.

Turner Homer
    Very nice ex nova of yours man, I always loved those nova's. My friend's dad has a 72 ss with a custom paint job with a 350 munsi 4 speed tranny. Very fast and fun car. He is also selling it in the spring at the carile pa show in the spring.

My spoon is too big!
    I just sold the last of my classics. I had my '71 Volvo 1800E since 2001, and it was hard to see it drive away last week. I've been into old cars for most of my life. I'm sure that when my kids are older, I'll be looking for another project.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Turner Homer
    That is a nice looking car, what was in it for the motor, straight 4 or 6?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's my old 67' Kombi. I sold it last year:

56' Oval (eventually cut up)

Bear Medal (sold)
    Last edited by croscoe; 02-20-2008 at 12:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyard
    I just sold the last of my classics. I had my '71 Volvo 1800E since 2001, and it was hard to see it drive away last week. I've been into old cars for most of my life. I'm sure that when my kids are older, I'll be looking for another project.
    Those old Batwing Volvos are cool cars!! I was on a business trip recently visiting a customer in rural Washington state. As I was driving in from the hotel one morning I spied one of these gems sitting parked back behind a farmhouse. Cars like this can show up in the weirdest places!!

JR

mtbr member
    May 2007
    syclones and typhoon are just simply bad-ass.

pictures of my never-ending 59 chevy pickup here:

https://obscurereality.net/cumine/th...ls.php?album=1
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Nice no rass
    My collector is a 1971 Bronco. Been doing a frame off restoration for the last few years. It's currently at the shop for final body work and paint. I should have it back in a month and hope to have it finished enough to be titled/tagged and driven this Summer. I've owned it since 94 and it used to be a daily driver.

I'll have pics to post when it comes back from paint.

mtbr member
    Picture of my ex porsche 928 GT.

There are about 3 cars that look almost identical to this in terms of set up and design. Was red and taken back to bare metal and then changed to the original colour of Black.

Sold it late last year...VERY sorry to see that go, it was a passion indeed and killed MANY cars on road and strip:

Turner Homer
    Ausome, another ford guy in the house, what is in there for a power plant, 302? Anyways, look foward to seeing pics of it when it is all painted, I remember the day I brought mine home from the paint shop, I was stoked. Also very nice 928 you have there, always liked the porsche's, they are one sexy car.
    Dave

thecentralscrutinizer
    My passion for my car comes and goes. This is my 1969 Dodge Coronet. I've had it since 1994 and put around 35K miles on it in that time. It has a mild 360 ci motor making around 400 HP and has run low 13's in the quarter on street tires. It's currently awaiting a disc brake conversion. Once that complete I've been considering putting it up for sale.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

Nice no rass
    DTrek4500,

It is a 302. Mildly built with RV cam, flat top pistons, eddy intake, carter 4bbl, etc. The body shop is actually returning it to original, uncut fenders for me. I will lift it 3.5" and it will look something like this http://classicbroncos.com/photos/sho...ser/10566/sl/6

I'm also a big Mopar fan when it comes to muscle cars. That's a sweet Coronet up there. My first car was a 73 Satellite, wish I still had it.

Turner Homer
    I sure like those bronco's. I am also a big mopar fan, and I might actually be getting a 64 sport fury which was my uncle's who has passed. Very sad, but it also has a 383 bb in. We will see what happens.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    My collector is a 1971 Bronco. Been doing a frame off restoration for the last few years. It's currently at the shop for final body work and paint. I should have it back in a month and hope to have it finished enough to be titled/tagged and driven this Summer. I've owned it since 94 and it used to be a daily driver.

I'll have pics to post when it comes back from paint.

Well you have amazing taste in vehicles. This is mine my father and I restored from ground up. The only thing we kept were the bed, 1 wheel well, the frame, and motor. My grandfather abused it very well. It still runs like a top and was my daily driver for years but the gas mileage has forced me to just drive it on weekends and car shows. Sorry for the crappy pics.

The bottom pic its very dusty and needs a bath but o well. I am fixing up the hard top at the moment. I hate the soft top but I do love being able to take it down. I need 33's again went with the 31's because I got an amazing deal on them.

Nice no rass
    Sweet! I knew there had to be an EB owner on here somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Haha o yeah. I also have a 302 that has had a little work. My grandfather had it on the dyno a while back and it was at 307 hp. not bad for a daily driven 38 year old SUV. haha... That porshe is sick, and the coronet looks pretty damn good too. I love those old mopars.... They just don't make em like they used to...

Rod
    mtbr member
    Nice pics thanks for sharing everyone

Turner Homer
    No problem, I had a feeling that there was mountain bikers on this site like myself who had a passion for classic cars of both American and Import origion. It doesn't matter where they are from, the one thing that is apparent is that they don't make them like they used to which will be said many times.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Yep...twin screw blower and ALOT of other work went into it, such as lightening the whole car up in many areas, modifying the whole exhaust/ extractor system...OH my gosh. Although on my behalf, I have to admit that I myself did not do perhaps 70% of the work due to the expertise involved. Wish I could have though, but I did enough to make myself proud.

The ONLY down point (apart from not owning it anymore) is, after ALL the work, this car was not even put on the dyno either...talk about wincing with pain!!!!

But I bought an Alfa Brerra instead after that (less fuel consumption, or so the misses said [my balls need to be biggger in that regard]). SO that will be my next project: Gull wing doors as it should have been, twin turbo (I hope...?), brakes, some interior mods...etc etc etc.

But I have to agree, there are some very sweet semi-classics/ classics on here.

Quote Originally Posted by tailgunner
    Haha o yeah. I also have a 302 that has had a little work. My grandfather had it on the dyno a while back and it was at 307 hp. not bad for a daily driven 38 year old SUV. haha... That porshe is sick, and the coronet looks pretty damn good too. I love those old mopars.... They just don't make em like they used to...

mtbr member
    this is my 1973 camaro 502 bbc soon to be 540 bbc. hurt the motor last fall need to go bigger.passes everything but the gas station.
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice cars all. Here are mine. The Bug is my baby, damn Notch cost too much to maintain so I reckon Im thinkin about sellin it when I get out of Korea. The second pic is after I lowered it more, first pic is only lowered a touch

here is a small portion of my car club back in Tucson

mtbr member

Good job! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by STONEWALL
    this is my 1973 camaro 502 bbc soon to be 540 bbc. hurt the motor last fall need to go bigger.passes everything but the gas station.
    Good to see another F-body, I was getting lonely here! Custom interior?? Let's see some more pics!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am into old Toyota Land Cruisers and repowering them to diesel (if you can't tell from my username)...

Here are a couple photos... The second is my current project...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my dad has a 63 vw bug. it's beige and has some new driver dents on the fenders from me. overall it's in decent shape. we are planning on eventually restoring it but i know we'd have to go through hell and back to sell it because it's the closest thing we have to a family heirloom

MyBikeStand.com
    Here is my dad's which will either be my inheritance unless he trades it for something else.

mtbr member
    Not exactly a classic car just yet, but this is my daily driver & project car. She is a 1984 SSP Mustang with a bit of an interesting/odd history. Like all SSP Mustangs in Florida it started out serving the FHP. This particular vehicle was retired a few years later where it was painted and stripped of its FHP goodies to serve the Citrus County School Board as a fleet vehicle (a 5-speed V8 Mustang fleet vehicle for the school board....weird). It served the school board up until 2002 when it was finally retired and sold to the guy I purchased it from.

No huge plans for the car. Just want to restore it to represent a typical street Mustang that you'd see back in the 80's (turbine wheels, old school Recaro seats, and possibly louvers if I can find a set of original late 80's coupe louvers). She already has a new carburator and I'm finishing up the motor ('93 short block w/E303 cam and GT40p heads). Suspension will be upgraded as well.

Hoping to retire it to strictly weekend driving in the next 3-4 months.

Signature

mtbr member
    May 2007
    nice woody wingnut...very nice. i'd probably paint the wheels some shade of yellow or maybe more of a cream...just personal opinion tho.

a1an....turbines would be cool...but so are those steelies. totally adds to the sleeper look...that'd make an awesome resto to an unmarked cruiser!

(just my opinions..they're your rides and badass regardless of what i say!)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

MyBikeStand.com
    Actually the wheels are a cream color, its just the pic. We are in the process of upgrading the radiator, elect fan, and interior.

Turner Homer
    That car is a beauty, that must have been a lot of hard work with all that wood. I also really like the color of the paint. I have to say that this thread is one hell of a hit. I am happy that there are so many other mountain bikers like myself who share the same passion of classic cars like myself. Here are some pics of the new motor in my car, the day of first startup is coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Very Nice, Guys...

Those are some nice rides, guys. I am jealous!

I have a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sport Sedan....meaning a 4 door with no post between the windows. I bought it way back in 1983. All original at the time, with the 283, automatic tranny, factory power steering & power brakes. All original interior, rims, chrome, etc. 103,000 original miles.(Sorry, no pics to upload right now.)

Over the years, I had the engine rebuilt, the old 2 speed POS Powerglide tranny pulled in favor of a turbo 350 auto, and some American Racing chrome rims (in order to preserve the original rims/hubcaps with spinners), new radiator, stuff like that. I picked up an original electric windshield wiper motor back in the day for $75. Quite the upgrade from the old vacuum operated one.

I had the fenders/body redone, bought some rear fender skirts, and had her repainted a few years ago. I redid the original paint, which was not available on the Bel Air at the time. (I have an extra digit on my cowl tag designating the custom paint order from the factory back in '57.) Dusk Pearl with the white roof. (Kinda like a pink...very much a period piece.)
    While I had her on the road for a few years, I added about 10,00 miles.

I am at the point that I need to pop in a gas tank, a new fuel line, re-install the grill and rear bumper. Unfortunately, with 4 kids ranging from 18 to 8, there has not been a bunch of $$$ over the years to throw at this project. But I have it stored away in the garage, and have hopes it will hit the road again one of these days!

I researched the car, and tracked down the original owner a few years ago. It was very interesting, and I got some really great history on the car. I promised him that, oneday, when she is back on the road, I will take it up the see him and go cruising a bit.

I also have a 1986 Lincoln Town Car. White, with the extra black cloth top. All the options work, (power windows, locks, seats, air conditioning, etc.) I picked it up from the second owner (he had bought it 6 months previous from his boss at work), and he provided a 6 inch thick pile of documentation for every oil change, tune up, tire change, etc. from the original owner. 118,000 miles on it....$500. My oldest son learned how to drive in that thing, and he uses it daily. Luckily, we live in a small town, so the mileage is only up to 121,000. He goes to college in 5 months, at which time it gets passed down to my next son (who gets his license in 3 months.) 3 more years, and it gets classic plates.

The bigest thing I can say is to drive 'em and enjoy 'em! My brother had a 1982 Corvette for about 4 years in the late 80's. He took it out ONLY on weekends, no rain, etc. If he drove it for 2 hours, he would spend 4 hours re-cleaning it and detailing it. Meanwhile, I was driving the '57 everywhere, down the shore, whatever. Years later, after he sold it, he confessed he never really enjoyed it the way he should have. Was too worried about "using" it.

These cars were meant to BE DRIVEN! Enjoy them for all thier worth!

Members who have read this thread: 0