Civic SI bike transport setup. LOTS OF PICS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Civic SI bike transport setup. LOTS OF PICS

Heres a couple pics for those of you who own a newer civic and are looking for an efficient way to transport. The hitch was about 100 it is made by curt. And the rack is a 1/4 thule t2.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    nice. I'll have to post mine when I order it. I'm planning on getting the exact same setup for my Subaru Impreza. I'm a little shocked by how far that rack sticks out though. Nice setup, I like seeing what mine will look like
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    That is a tight Civic. I have that same rack and I love how easy it is to use. I dont know for sure, but I would guess that the hitch racks are better for fuel economy because the bike is in the draft of the car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have you noticed any diff in fuel mileage? I noticed with my trunk mount rack and 2 bikes that my mileage dropped about 6mpg on a 280 mile trip... (98 Civic EX).

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would suggest moving the bike as close to the reciever as possible, the closer the bike is, the less leverage you're putting on the whole system. Those little 4-bolt things that clamp the trays to the rack HAVE failed, and you'll minimize that by moving it in as close as possible. You can access the trunk still by taking the pin out and using the "tilt down" feature of the rack of course.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Glad to see a fellow SI owner. Here's a shot of my old '06 SI with a Yakima rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I havnt noticed much mileage differance... However i only put the rack on when i go riding.. it bolts on and off about a minute or two. Id rather not perminately attach it to my ride.

New Jersey
    Ohmygod.

That Si is... incredibly hot.

How do you like it? What's the room in the back seat like for the coupe?
    I may not get a Fit after all...

I would test-drive one, but I'm deployed in "Southwest Asia" right now. Heh.

mtbr member
    how do those SI's run? They are just the sex...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The back seat is a little small but ive sat 2 people back there comfortably its just a pain for them to get out lol.. It has a great amount of trunk space, its never been an issue even when i go riding with full kit. It drives great super stable and vtec is fun to play with. It isnt a super race car, but fuel economy along with the vtec makes it a really fun car to drive...

ballbuster

Dang....

That this is sooo purdy. Like a little piece of cherry hard candy.

Daddy like.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the pics. I am thinking about getting one myself as I took a job where I drive a lot and my 05 Xterra drinks gas. I love my X but need something more affordable to drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you guys prefer that type of rack or the kind that goes on top of the car?

ballbuster

Hitch racks....

Quote Originally Posted by aLLboutLx
    Do you guys prefer that type of rack or the kind that goes on top of the car?
    ... are where it's at. I tell you what.

Roof racks suck more gas, make more noise so you can't open the sunroof, can't drive into parking garages, and typically mess up the paint on the roof.

Then again, your bikes don't get trashed if somebody rear ends you, and roof racks don't make it hardter to park in tight spaces.

mtbr member
    I have had both and like the hitch rack as you can take it off the vehicle in a few minutes, and for the reasons pimbot said. They are also nice if you have a tall vehicle. I run a Nissan Xterra now which is a pain in the a$$ to get a bike on a roof rack as its very tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My preference is for roof racks. Part of that may be because I switch cars so often (on average, once every 2 years) and it's cheaper to just buy a couple of new clips than have a hitch installed everytime.

You do have to be mindfull of overhangs and underground garages but I have yet to hit anything with a bike on my roof (knock on wood)

As for not being able to open the sunroof, I think that would depend on the type of sunroof you have. On the Civic, it opens by sliding into the roof so there isn't any clearance issues. I can also install my roof rack in about a couple minutes. It almost takes longer getting it out of my storage locker.

One additional hidden benefit for hitch racks and some trunk racks is that they can partially/completely obscure your rear plate so that you can get away with driving on the automated toll highways and not have to pay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey man, I never get tired of seeing your Si and bike! (I've seen it a few times on 8thcivic)

Here's my Si, a sedan, with the curt hitch. I don't have any pics w/the rack and bike on yet.

FA5 all the way!

BTW - The pic w/the painting in the background was taken outside of Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse in Augusta, GA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sweet FA5, what kind of rack are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice Fiji Blue. I went with the same colour on my '08 Si. We don't get the Mugen Si here in Canada so when I traded in my Habby Red for it, a lot of people have asked if it's the Mugen.

Now if only there was a way to get a rack on my other Honda:

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lobos, did you install the hitch yourself or did you have it done?

I was considering doing this on my s2000 even though it would probably look stupid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not sure about lobos, but I installed mine myself. Well, a friend and I did it.

Kind of a pain, but not too bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bloorwest, That car is badass! Is the engine in the rear, or are those side scoops just for looks?

I'm pretty sure we were never offered that in the states.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The scoops are real. It's a mid-engine Honda Beat. Sort of a half scale NSX. The engine's a 600cc 3 cylinder with an 8500 redline.

They weren't sold outside of Japan but in Canada you can bring in pretty much anything over 15 years old. Check these guys out for what you get up here in the Great White North:

http://www.terra2imports.ca/

Oh and it's right hand drive...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did it myself its was a pain in the ass, however if i was wise and had a freind help me hold the hitch assembly up whilst i bolted it on id imagine it would be much easier. should'nt take more then an hour or two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    where did you buy the curt hitch? is there is a specific model number? I would like to have the same setup for my Civic SI

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thread revival ftw......I'm glad to see some fellow 8thcvic users on here. I want to do the hitch setup I'm just concerned it will look bad. I have a Fiji Civic Si Sedan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As promised here's some pics of my car/rack/bike combo. I mountain bike also (mostly actually) but, this gives you the idea.

(the car's on ProKit springs btw....for anyone who might care)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How about a shot of the back of the car without the rack mounted. I would consider this for my car ONLY if the hitch is well hidden and doesn't hang way down. The ideal hitch for me would be something like my parents used to have on their old van. The drawbar was about 4" wide and about 1/2" thick, and was WELL hidden under the bumper. I'll have to try to find something like that for my car...

Bryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just look at the my first pic above, you can see the hitch pretty well there. I wouldn't say it's well hidden, but I wouldn't say it's very noticable either. I chose the hitch because I don't like the look of any of the roof racks (not to mention the noise and decreased gas mileage) and I don't want to put a trunk rack on my paint. With the hitch, nothing ever touches the car, which is what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Thread revival...! I just got a Civic SI coupe...do you have to drill to attach the Curt hitch, or does it just bolt on to the car? What is the cost of the hitch?
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

~I Ride In Circles ~
    My Curt hitch for my 07 Impreza was direct bolt on. Check etrailer.com and they should be able to give you a general idea. I bought my hitch and Thule T2 off them.. great prices and free shipping since I spent enough.
    ~ it's all good ~

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    How about a shot of the back of the car without the rack mounted. I would consider this for my car ONLY if the hitch is well hidden and doesn't hang way down.
    If it's going to be totally hidden, it is going to hang "way down" and cause the rack to hang way down and possibly cause problems on sloped roads/driveways. I haven't seen many hitches that stick out much at all, and you can only notice them from certain points of view (directly behind) anyway. Way less of an eyesore than a roof-rack any day. There is sometimes a problem with those "hidden" hitches and low sports cars, because they are just too low. The T2 does have good approach-clearance, but if the hitch is too low then it doesn't matter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Its just bolt on, the only thing u need to do is cut the heat shield for the muffler a bit but u can almost do that with a hardy pair of scissors. Other then that its pretty cake if u have a freind to help. The directions suck btw..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lobos8403
    Its just bolt on, the only thing u need to do is cut the heat shield for the muffler a bit but u can almost do that with a hardy pair of scissors. Other then that its pretty cake if u have a freind to help. The directions suck btw..
    Damn Lobos, I never thought South Florida was so identifiable until I saw your picture.
    If I had to guess, Those pics were taken in West Broward CO. Looks like my old hometown of Coral Springs.

Members who have read this thread: 0