Choosing a Bike Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Choosing a Bike Rack

Okay 2 questions, i want a hitch bike rack that can hold at least 3 bikes. im looking at his Allen Bike Rack it holds 3 bikes here is the url. do you think it will suit my needs, i want something well built and sturdy, this one seems like it is

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...716578.2713496

Also when mounting the bike on the bike rack, the shifter cables that run under the top tube of the frame lay on the mounts of the rack, could it damage the cables?

Thanks, Kyle

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm thinking that you kinda get what you pay for, I'd look at a Thule or Yakima, that looks like it seriously lacks any sort of anything to prevent the bikes from swinging around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You know, when Galyon's got bought by Dick's, the employees would say, "we used to be Galyon's but now we are Dick's."

That rack is for department store bikes.

J.

aka bOb
    My advise when looking to buy a rack to carry 3 bikes buy a 4 bike carrier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1upUSA (http://www.1upusa.com) has a rack that you can add bikes to incrementally. However, it's expensive but it is an excellent rack.

J.

Aquaman
    Get a Thule or Yakima from craigslist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good advice here. Anti-sway cages on the racks are pretty important. That Allen rack looks kind of cheesy, but hard to tell from a picture.

I carry three bikes with no problem on a 4-bike Thule Ridgeline. I think I could fit 4 on it, but it would be VERY tight.

Hanging a bike by the top tube shouldn't damage the cables at all if the bike isn't rocking all around, so again, having an anti-sway cage is very imporant. Another thing you could use is a top tub adaptor, which is kind of necessary if you have an odd shaped frame or full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    HEY! I ended up getting a 4 bike holder rack from Yakima. It has great build quality... LOL but the metal tube that inserts into the hitch isnt long enough and it hits the rear bumper before its all the way inserted.. Luckily my dads a machinest he is going to extend the metal piece for me. Guess i lucked out

Members who have read this thread: 0