Chevy Tahoe/Yakima rack thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Chevy Tahoe/Yakima rack thoughts

Best combo ever.

I don't like full-sized rigs like most of you(I drive a 90 accord for pete's sake) but the wife wanted one 3 years ago so I bought her a loaded 01 chevy LT Tahoe.

Hated it, too big, too much gas, etc etc. I actually feel safer in my accord cause it can turn and brake on a dime.

Fast forward now that we have a house/family/bikes.

OMFG, I love this Tahoe now.
    We bought the 2" frame - 4 bike yakima rack on sale for $120 at local store and we've taken our family bikes on a couple of camping trips already and my all my biking buddies and I go to the local trails(the ones that are too far to just ride too) all in one ride with all gear like it wasn' even a thing. 3 to 4 big dudes everytime.

Most of you other guys have to take two to three cars to bring 3 to 4 dudes in turn USING MORE GAS then my one 5.3litre V8.

Last week towed over 2 tons of sod with a 1000lbs trailer with 3 200lbs+ dudes and 25gallons of gas like it was nothing. Tow package baby.

I'm telling you guys a Full-size SUV with that 2" four bike Yakima rack is the best combo for transporting bikes/friends. That V8 doesn't get that bad of gas mileage for what it is (15city/20hwy).

I also have a utility trailer that I can tow around and that can fit about 6 bikes in it if more people want to go but can't fit their bikes in their cars. Even with that big trailer and people, no gas mileage hit.

Of course the wife only has to drive 5 miles to work everyday so we're not burning the candle at both ends so to speak.
    Last edited by MillerSHO; 10-14-2006 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member

Welcome to Club Hoe!

Here's mine with Yakima hitch rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    THX

Looks like someone likes raising IFS rigs, how much did that set you back?

My wife want's her's raised but it costs way too much for me to raise an IFS truck.

I like your rack too, it looks like it would tow around FS and women's bikes alot better then mine. Mine's main attachment is at the frame, not at the wheels like yours.

Just towed over 4 cubic yards of dirt/debris this weekend again with the hoe, man this rig is getting good use.

Can't wait to go up to Mt. Hood in the snow this year. It's always treated us real well up there and in the ice that we get here in the Gorge area.
    Tha Auto 4wd option is pretty handy up there and around here cause some times the ice/snow can be patchy and it's not good to run 4wd around turns/corners.

mtbr member
    Can't beat a Tahoe....
    愛友誼秀麗力量激情

mtbr member
    Yeah, generally IFS sux but I'll never have stock rig. First was an IFS Ram 50, then two straight axle Wrangler & Grand Cherokee, now this. Would rather have gotten a 3/4 ton Ram w/Hemi but wife wanted an SUV.

I had the Yakima Terra something and I could carry four bikes but it was a pain with FS DH bikes. The new Hookup is 99.9% Sportworks/Thule.

Side note, if the wife wants it lifted then damn go for it! Not often women would actually want to mod a car.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Members who have read this thread: 0