Chevy Colorado- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chevy Colorado

mtbr member

Chevy Colorado

Anyone have a Chevy Colorado? I need a little pickup that gets good gas mileage and from what I have read the Colorado gets the best. Ive looked at the Toyota Tacoma 4 door but they are about $5-$6k more for the same year and mileage as the Chevy.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    They are awesome, been driving one around a bit recently. ext cab 4x4 with 114k on it. It's the only "new" truck I would actually buy.

Get the 4cyl with a stick, and no power anything, feels like it will last forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Research the problem w/ the colorado and it's twin the GMC canyon have w/ the head gaskets blowing out. It happened to my canyon at 38k miles which was over warranty. It was a $3000 fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had an 05 Canyon Reg cab 4cyl manual. I loved that truck. It consistently got me 23-24 mpg hwy/city, 60/40 mix. Eventually the truck wore thin on me being so small. Then like all GM vehicles little things started breaking, CD player died, AC only worked on max, knobs breaking etc...and stupid designs like windows cranks that got blocked by door cup holders, ONE keyhole for the whole damn truck... At that point I just got tired of the damn thing. I just traded it in last month on a Tacoma...best decision ever. The tacoma just feels more solid than any other GM vehicle I've ever driven. The build quality is much better. And the ride is much more responsive and "truck like" than the Canyon. The gas mileage isn't as good, but then again, you're looking for a truck, its not gonna be great. Having said that, I just filled up and calculated 20.5 with the v6 about the same hwy city mix. Tacomas cost more but ask anyone and they'll tell you why they do...Its just a better truck. Plus they hold their value better than any truck in the class. So from a former Chevy apologist...I went with the Tacoma. And if i had to do it all over again...hell yea!!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    3K?!?!?!?!

i only charge 1000 for a head gasket job!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    3K?!?!?!?!

i only charge 1000 for a head gasket job!!
    That's what the GMC dealer charged. The day I got the car back after it was fixed I sold it to carmax and got me a Honda Ridgeline. 3 yrs later I've had no problems w/ the Honda.

turtles make me hot
    How was it out of warranty at 38000 miles?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The plant that builds the Colorado in Shreveport, La., was originally an Isuzu/GM joint project, with design coming from Isuzu. The plant design was so screwed up, GM had to take over and fix it after it was built and pre-production models were running on the line. One of the lead engineers on that project told me never to buy one because there would be long-term quality issues thanks to Isuzu. He called the trucks a "disaster," but he's an engineer and they're prone to hyperbole.

I think the trucks look good and aren't priced too bad, so you might be fine if you buy an extended 100K warranty. I negotiated a 100K warranty on my current Pontiac G8 down to $5 additional a month and it's paid for itself many times over already.

Oct 2009
    I have Chevy Corvette , this Chevy has Power Steering and Power Brakes with other feature that your looking but price is little bit more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an 05 Canyon. Reg cab, 4 cyl, 2wd, manual. Basically, it is about as base as you can get. I wanted it cheap and fuel efficient. Back when I was looking it was between that and the Tacoma. Both had very similar MSRPs, but when it came to discounts I got the GMC for I think about $12k out the door, which I what pushed me in that direction.

Long story short there are a few nit picky things that drive me crazy (weather stripping falling out, windshield washer nozzle breaking off, shallow cup holder that are 3 different sizes, yet don't seem to hold anything well, mystery dashboard noises, etc.) The main problem is the that ABS sensor goes off and the ABS randomly activates in dry weather with no heavy breaking. It does not do it all the time and probably isn't that safe, but I"m out of warrant (37k miles) and it is something like an $800 fix.
    Overall the truck gets great mileage for a truck and serves its purpose well. Not the greatest fit and finish or quality, but I managed to pay it off in 2.5 years so I can't complain too much.
    If I was to do it again, I might have gotten the Tacoma, but $$ was a factor. It would have to be a manual tranny too since I hate how Toyota puts the auto shifter on the floor like it is some sort of sedan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Having owning two chevys the last one was an 08 silverado that I dumped with 21k miles on it I would go Tacoma. Another poster said it well that things start breaking here and there. All mfg's have good and bad vehicles but two chevys were enough for me. From here on out I'm only Ford or Toyota.

Members who have read this thread: 0