Chevy Avalanche solution!!- Mtbr.com
    MyBikeStand.com

Chevy Avalanche solution!!

Here is a solution I found on a forum site for my Chevy Avalanche. I can carry up to 5 bikes on top of the bed with more mounts, plus whatever I can load onto a hitch rack. I scored the roof rack for free from my boss pretty much as you see it. I removed the snowboard rack for now that I also got with the rack. The only things I had to get were the Q-clips (Q-30 is the correct ones) courtesy of ebay $20 total. The 20mm mount I got from the LBS for $30, its a Rockymounts flytrap. I plan on getting another short tray (Cobra) and setting aside the long tray, this way the panels are not tied to each other through the rack, they will each be independent. And I also want to trim the bars to just the width needed so it will be easier to remove the panels with the rack on and so I can open my side bins easier.

More Torque
    Nice solution!

mtbr member
    loose the useless tonneau cover and you could fit 9 bikes in there.

MyBikeStand.com
    I am not even gonna comment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for sharing that. I have an Avalanche and have been thinking about going that route for bike and skis. I use a 4 bike hitch rack and sometimes need room for another bike or two. Do the towers cause any leaking along the sides of the panels?

MyBikeStand.com
    You know it works great. I have lockable storage underneeth and can take the bikes (up to 5) on the tonno, and tow a camper behind!! Oh and room for 5 inside! The tonno doesnt leak any more than before (for me it has been just a little here and there) although from the avalanche forums several people have had different experiences with leaking from none at all to a little bit. My rubber peices are starting to fall off cause the kids where sitting on them when the cover was off. Which is most likely the cause of my leaking. If you have to tow also its a great option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the reply, I might take that route.

MyBikeStand.com
    Its great, the only thing I want to do other than the Yakima cobra tray is to get those bike bug shields or whatever you call them. You know the goofy things that stretch from the grips down to the forks and seat. When I posted this we just got back from driving from Las Vegas to Dallas and then back to Vegas and I ended up spending about 2 hrs peeling bug guts from the bikes. Granted that was a long trip though. On a few recent trips closer by I have not had too much trouble with bugs, only on that long trip. As we get closer to winter the snowboard mount will go back on.

Another thing you can do that alot of Avalanche owners have done is use a cargo basket for more gearhauling.

At Work
    I just bolted a single fork mount to the front lid. Yes, I had to drill holes but it never leaked in 3-4 years. Worked good.

Oh to the post about loosing the cover, He must not have ever owned an AVI. I miss mine, traded it in a year ago on a Titan. New Truck, little smaller payement. But the AVI was great!

MyBikeStand.com
    Thats why I didnt reply to his comment. Yeah I love my truck. Especially for a family its the perfect of many worlds, very versital.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That looks sweet...nicely done!

mtbr member
    I have the same setup. I got the idea from the avalanche forums as well. It works great.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

Members who have read this thread: 0