Check out my new bike rack!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Check out my new bike rack!

I quickly realized that tearing the front and somtimes the rear wheels off of my girlfriend and my bike was not going to work. It tears them up sliding around and it not convenient at all. I came up with a design and it was tweaked a little bit by my girlfriends dad. (who owns CAP; they make industrial mowers for tractors) With all his machinery it did not take much more than two hours max to make. I am really happy with it and it works great!

I made it to hold up to 3 bikes. I will just have to get another Saris Traps mount for a third bike whenever the need is. (the second mount came in today).

Here it shows how it simply fits quite snugly in the grove. It does not want to move at all once it is all in there. We did not feel the need for it to be collapsible as it will only go in my truck and because of its snug fit. You can also see how we made the bracket lower to the cross piece. This lowers the COG further making the design more stable.

Here shows the mount in the middle which will be moved to the bolts on either side along with the one that I received today. A third one will be ordered whenever I feel the need for one.

More pictures with a bike or two will come later.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks good. Nothing better than a piece of equipment that you can make and save a bundle of cash. Lets see some pictures with the bikes mounted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bet Yakima would try to sell these for 200$. Good job.

code: mtbr2011
    nice build!!

Rip Van Winkle
    for a primary use I would keep one close to the side. Rear view remains unobstructed and easier to load and unload. Nice craftsmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    29 inch wheels are a crutch for riders with sub-par skills.

mtbr member
    That is exactly what I am going to do. To my surprise though, there is not much obstruction in the mirror. Thanks guys. Pictures with bike to come when the weather is good.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thats nice! Looka as though there is enough room between it and the cab to slide your front wheels into also.

mtbr member
    The weather is better for a a little bit so I decided to get a few more pictures with a better camera. Here are some pictures with the bikes on it.

Thanks for looking,
    -Brett

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Brett, that thing looks great with the bikes.

mtbr member
    So the only thing holding it in place is friction against the bed liner, and the weight of the bikes? That's not going to move? How about on a bumpy dirt road?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice job man! It is rare to see a home made rack/stand/anything that looks that well done. Thule makes almost the exact same thing and sells it for $170 bucks....seems to me that you came out way ahead on this one!

THULE 822 Bed Rider
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    So the only thing holding it in place is friction against the bed liner, and the weight of the bikes? That's not going to move? How about on a bumpy dirt road?
    Yes, you are correct. I have a hard rubberized bed liner that helps hold it in there. It is a tight fit. It is pretty hard to get in in and out. If I try to shift the bikes around while mounted, they do not want to move at all.

I would say I came out on top, this only cost me about $35 all in all to make!

I appreciate the great comments,
    -Brett

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is fantastic!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0