Cheap option for an '09 Toyota Yaris?- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

Cheap option for an '09 Toyota Yaris?

Hey folks! Thanks for even clicking

I purchased an '09 Yaris hatchback from a Co-worker for good gas-efficient driving up to VT this summer and I realize I have never had to think about bike racks before (I've had a 2WD Tacoma the last 15 years). I paid $1200 for this car and I'm looking at Thule and Yakima racks for $500..Ugh. Can't do.

Anyone aware of a simple solution for carrying a single bike? I've considered adding a hitch..used racks seemed to be a compatibility nightmare. Would really appreciate any help/ideas.

One thing I'm entertaining is just buying some generic rails then adding a fancier bike mount, which I could carry over to over racks/cars in the future. Thanks!

EAT MORE GRIME
    curt hitch for yaris bolts right on the back underneath and then whatever hitch rack
    but it ain't cheap. 200 bucks.
    https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products/2010/toyota/yaris/

model 11060

others are around 100 but the fitment is crap and you need to cut stuff. curt is the only direct bolt-on I found back in 2010

otherwise a cheap strap-on carrier sitting on the back glass is fine, a bike won't bust the glass... done this for years on subaru back glass no issues.

you bet cheapest bet is a strap rack sitting on the rear glass

actually just fold the back seats flat and pop wheels and toss bike in, yaris is roomier than you think in the back.

if you never need back seats rip them out [and then protect the gas tank lines] and you have a whole ton of room there
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    curt hitch for yaris bolts right on the back underneath and then whatever hitch rack
    but it ain't cheap. 200 bucks.
    https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products/2010/toyota/yaris/

model 11060

others are around 100 but the fitment is crap and you need to cut stuff. curt is the only direct bolt-on I found back in 2010

otherwise a cheap strap-on carrier sitting on the back glass is fine, a bike won't bust the glass... done this for years on subaru back glass no issues.

you bet cheapest bet is a strap rack sitting on the rear glass

actually just fold the back seats flat and pop wheels and toss bike in, yaris is roomier than you think in the back.

if you never need back seats rip them out [and then protect the gas tank lines] and you have a whole ton of room there
    Thanks! Funny you say that, because my first plan is to remove the back seats. We have a family wagon for everyone and I'm not cramming my 6' stepsons into the back of the Yaris. I want to remove the seats and throw a plywood top down.

I think you're probably right about a strap-on back rack. Any suggestions? My bike is pricier than the car so don't want anything to rip into the frame! Maybe I'll need to make some modifications for that.

I guess, ultimately, I could throw the bike in the back for local rides and use a strap-on rack for 3+ hour drives.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I don't have particular suggestions, since generic rear hatch bike holders may or may not be able to fit a particular frame. they are all damn similar, so go cheap.

one thing I think is a must, get ones with the largest foam roller pads. and avoid smaller rubber feet [to spread force more evenly] something like this type of feet

this is cheap as you can get but will do the job fine....

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...back_dp_1_t_np

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...grbr2bktrnktnk
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    For the strap on racks, more simple the better actually, one that is simply two rods poking out then strap/bungee to secure the bike means you can have one go through the front triangle and one under the downtube, others with bulky mounting straps built in make it hard to fit a lot of full suspension bikes

I found one for $20 on Facebook classifieds. Have roof racks too but use the trunk rack the odd time I need to carry more than 2.

Keep in mind these can scuff up the rear of the vehicle, but sounds like yours was cheap so maybe not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Saris bones would be worth a look, leightweight and easy to use. Last time I looked craigslist had plenty.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Saris bones would be worth a look, leightweight and easy to use. Last time I looked craigslist had plenty.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    This, and the Saris rack is reasonable used. Def the best strap on rack Ive seen..