Cheap eBay roof rack? Anyone have experience with these?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap eBay roof rack? Anyone have experience with these?

Looking for a cheap roof tray that doesn't require front tire removal. Found this on eBay: Roof Mounted Silver Aluminum Bike Bicycle Carrier Rack Car SUV Rooftop Upright | eBay

Anyone have experience/opinions about these?

mtbr member
    Found some reviews here: Amazon.com: TMS T-BIKERACK-RC0012 Aluminum Upright Car Roof Top Mounted Bike Bicycle Rack Carrier: Automotive

If it means doing some small modifications with cheap bolts, I'll take the plunge. Need this thing to last me a year before I upgrade my vehicle. I'll post up reviews once I put it through the ringer.

mtbr member
    Ok, here's my mini review. Instructions are sub-par but if you're handy and can put together a kid puzzle, you'll figure it out. You'll need to do a lot of the assembly on your car as you'll need to position the tray in accordance with your bike (wheel base and all that). The install wasn't horrible. Below are pictures and a video of a short ride I did today to show the stability of the rack. I believe with thin-frame bikes, like road bikes, the jaws of the support arm may be too wide. There is a locking mechanism on the arms is crude but works. There is no security on the attachment of the tray to your cross bars. Would NOT recommend leaving your bike on your rack overnight or for a very lengthy period of time. The clamping mechanism is also crude and tedious but it works. The straps are not connected to the tray so they need to be stored in the vehicle when you're not using them. They're pretty basic cargo nylon straps. Again, they get the job done. You get what you pay for and I actually think for $30, you get a little more than that. The rack seems stable enough. I needed a rack to last me about a year w/out the need to remove the front time and this seems to be the ticket.

Anyways... see below. Ask any questions you might have.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/fMBTv8sXXgs

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I appreciate this thread. I am deciding what I am going to do about bike transport. I had ruled out the inexpensive Ebay rack until I read this thread. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwakefld View Post
    I appreciate this thread. I am deciding what I am going to do about bike transport. I had ruled out the inexpensive Ebay rack until I read this thread. Thank you.
    No problem. As mentioned... It is crude. It's ALL nuts and bolts including the clamp. You literally have to remove one bolt every time you put the bike into the clamp. But again, it's cheap and does what it's supposed to do. Even if it takes a few extra minutes to mount/dismount, it's still worth it for a super low-budget solution. I would also assume this rack is not going to survive long if left on the crossbars through the winter.

mtbr member

Cheap eBay roof rack? Anyone have experience with these?

Still rawking this rack using it 3+ times a week on twisty mountain roads. My bike has not been added to the pavement and the rack is still holding strong. We've even had quite a few rain storms and aside from a little surface rust on a few washers, it's holding up well. Even the locking mechanism still works and hasn't seized up. I did end up spraying some tri-flow in the keyhole from the get-go though. Time will tell if this rack will survive past a year. I'm assuming it will with winter storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk