Celebrating Spring with a new rack!!! w/ pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Celebrating Spring with a new rack!!! w/ pics

I was sick of using the trunk bike rack and decided to get a roof rack for my 07 Accord coupe. I got the Thule Aero setup with 2 Peleton bike racks. I gotta tell you, installing that thing was a pain in the arse... especially with that short roof adapter . I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Be carefull with that set up. I had a very similar thule setup on my Talon, and around 100mph with 2 bikes on it it proceded to slowly creep back on my roof, tearing all the weather stripping off the door frames and the spoiler destroyed the paint on my roof.

But anyways it looks nice

mtbr member
    well, you were going 100mph. thats a lot of drag.

mtbr member
    WHAT?!?!?!?!, why would you go 100 mph with your precious bikes on the top of the car

what if a bug hit them at a 100 mph? what if the wind pushed dirt through the seals? what if they FALL OFF?

MAKE MY DAY!
    100 mph with two bikes on the roof? Shame on you!!!
    The reason a lot of people do not recognise
    opportunity is because it usually goes
    around wearing overalls looking like hard work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    WHAT?!?!?!?!, why would you go 100 mph with your precious bikes on the top of the car

what if a bug hit them at a 100 mph? what if the wind pushed dirt through the seals? what if they FALL OFF?
    Yeah, 100 mph is a bad idea with bikes on the roof. I pushed past 100 a few times when I drove from Pa to Co and my ultegra bb on my fixed gear was shot when I got here, the chains were pretty nasty too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    People settle down .

I didn't say I spent all my time driving around at 100 with bikes on the roof. I was on a interstate trip across the country, and there were a couple long nights across the plains. And what difference is it going to make if a bike falls off your roof at 55 vs 100? The outcome is still going to suck.

The problem with the design is all the holds every thing to the roof is 4 hooks that grab onto thin rubber over metal. At any highway speeds enough force is put on the hooks to tear the rubber. One thing I did that helped quite a bit was to bolt the bike tray to the rear cross bar. Thules design of the sliding bolts and wing nuts on the rear of the trays dosn't provide much lateral support.

mtbr member

Good job!

I have a Yakima rack. So far for me the biggest problem is the tendency of the bike to "sail." This causes the car to veer slightly left and right. I have to do steering correction more at certain speeds.

As for drag, that could be an issue too. Especially considering the rack is mounted with side grips. It does not have any front/back gripping so it will be easier to push in the front/back direction.

I have factory crossbars on my Subaru, so I do have front/back gripping. So I agree to be careful with that type of mounting. Anyway, it sure looks nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9
    People settle down .

I didn't say I spent all my time driving around at 100 with bikes on the roof. I was on a interstate trip across the country, and there were a couple long nights across the plains. And what difference is it going to make if a bike falls off your roof at 55 vs 100? The outcome is still going to suck.

The problem with the design is all the holds every thing to the roof is 4 hooks that grab onto thin rubber over metal. At any highway speeds enough force is put on the hooks to tear the rubber. One thing I did that helped quite a bit was to bolt the bike tray to the rear cross bar. Thules design of the sliding bolts and wing nuts on the rear of the trays dosn't provide much lateral support.

Negative, there is a huge difference between 55 and 100...and you've discovered one of the reasons not to do it. There is no problems with the rack if you use it in the proper manner.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thank god a T2 does 120+
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    bumparino... how has the rack held up and is the sun roof still in use?
    "Walkin around with my pants off. let yo imaginations flow"

mtbr member
    that rack is ugly. yakima ftw

Members who have read this thread: 0