carsdirect...is this legit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

carsdirect...is this legit

short question: has anyone used them and are they legit? i can't understand how they make a profit.

why i'm considering them: I've been shopping for cars for a while now...settled on what I wanted and went to the dealer. I got the price below invoice, but my girlfriend was with me and was looking at carsdirect.com on her phone while i was there...their price was about $1500 LESS. I used this against the dealer, they say they can match that price, probably ran my credit (which is excellent) and then said they can't, constant 'i'll be right back,' so i was getting frustrated and wanted a break so i left.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    i can't understand how they make a profit.

They don't , they make it up in volume .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    short question: has anyone used them and are they legit? i can't understand how they make a profit.

why i'm considering them: I've been shopping for cars for a while now...settled on what I wanted and went to the dealer. I got the price below invoice, but my girlfriend was with me and was looking at carsdirect.com on her phone while i was there...their price was about $1500 LESS. I used this against the dealer, they say they can match that price, probably ran my credit (which is excellent) and then said they can't, constant 'i'll be right back,' so i was getting frustrated and wanted a break so i left.
    how did they "probably run your credit", you would have needed to give them a ton of info and sign some stuff before they did that. And out of curiousity what's the year make model trim level?

A lot of times there are things like "dealer cash" where it's not a rebate so the dealer doesn't have to show it, but it works like a rebate. So let's say there's $1,000 dealer cash, and the dealer is selling you the car for $200 under invoice. That looks sweet but they're actually selling it for $800 over. It all depends.

mtbr member
    constant 'i'll be right back,' so i was getting frustrated and wanted a break so i left.

You ruined their day. That constant "i'll be right back" is designed to wear you down and get you to pay their price. You did good by walking out, most don't do that.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    You ruined their day. That constant "i'll be right back" is designed to wear you down and get you to pay their price. You did good by walking out, most don't do that.
    Are you serious? I sell cars and when I have to go check on something/get permission for something, I am not saying "I'll be right back" to wear the customer down. In actuality every time I have to leave the desk it's to get the customer closer to their goal. LOL WTF

mtbr member
    Read "confessions of a car salesman". Dirty tricks played.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Read "confessions of a car salesman". Dirty tricks played.
    Yeah I've read that, that's the thing from Edmunds right? A lot of it is dated though. And thankfully none of it actually goes on at my store. I sometimes forget that, our store is pretty chill, but I'm guessing the vast majority of car dealers in America suck. They are getting better though I think.

Digital Toast
    I can't stand pressured sales. I just got a screaming deal on a Mazda5. The dealer was friendly, helpful and patient. That's the reason I bought from them. Couple weeks before I was looking at buying a Xterra and the dealer put a piece of paper in front of me. Drew a line and put a X in front of it and said "Can I get your signature here? If I get $XXX per month, we have a deal?". I told him I don't deal that way. Thanked him for his time and then left.

A good dealership isn't hard to spot.

jrm
    mtbr member

Carmax

I sold a vehicle to them. Legit, no hassle, no sales-finanice guy ********.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Are you serious? I sell cars and when I have to go check on something/get permission for something, I am not saying "I'll be right back" to wear the customer down. In actuality every time I have to leave the desk it's to get the customer closer to their goal. LOL WTF
    Last car I bought, the sales guy had authority to do almost everything, except the final deal.

Does your dealership have you dealing from a limited authority standpoint? If so it's just a different sales tactic. They did that at my last workplace, and no it wasn't to sell cars. But had the same result of keeping the profits up.

You might not be the bad guy, but the bad guy is still designed in that system too.

JmZ

Edit - Just went and compared carsdirect to the IMBA discount, and invoice price on another car. Cars direct was close but was popping up over those prices. And I know I can get both, either through IMBA or work.
    Last edited by JmZ; 12-10-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX

LOL right back at-cha.

I grew up working in dealerships.

Would you like me to describe my prior 3 auto purchases. The one where I talk directly to the sales manager and show him my roll of $20K-$30K of cash. It's a game because a car is deemed a really big purchase by most and they think the dealership is doing them a "favor".
    Nobody cares...........

Members who have read this thread: 0