Carrying a Lefty on a GTI...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carrying a Lefty on a GTI...

All:

My first post here... Hello everyone!

I searched this Car & Biker forum for "Lefty", but all I found was the following:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/rack-lefty-pickup-truck-248051.html#post2479386

Not what I was looking for, so I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with the following...

I've recently installed a Lefty on my Jekyll.

Until the change, I carried my bike on a fork-mounted Yakima rack. Something similar to the following:

But now that I have the Lefty...

I found Yakima makes a Lefty Fork Adapter:

But the issue is getting the front wheel on and off. I'd have to remove 3 bolts each time I wanted to put the bike on the rack (Duh... of course you know this if you have a Lefty...).

I'm getting a new car... a 4-door VW GTI. So while I'm going through the motions, I though maybe for the new car and new front bike suspension, I would get something like this KingCobra:

My questions for folks with experience:
    1. Do you use a rack for your Lefty that keeps the front wheel on the bike?
    2. Do you use the Lefty Adapter?
    3. How long does it take get the wheel off and onto the rack?
    4. Maybe the rack that keeps the wheel on is better?
    5. And if you do use a fork-mount rack, what do you do with the wheel? Toss it into the car I assume... but since Yakima doesn't make a wheel fork for the Lefty... or maybe there are other options? Maybe other stuff I'm not thinking of?

I truly appreciate any insight or experience you can share...

Thanks.

ballbuster

I would say get a lockjaw type...

Quote Originally Posted by iDood
    All:

I searched this Car & Biker forum for "Lefty", but all I found was the following:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2479386

Not what I was looking for, so I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with the following...

Until the change, I carried my bike on a fork-mounted Yakima rack. Something similar to the following:

But the issue is getting the front wheel on and off. I'd have to remove 3 bolts each time I wanted to put the bike on the rack (Duh... of course you know this if you have a Lefty...).

I'm getting a new car... a 4-door VW GTI. So while I'm going through the motions, I though maybe for the new car and new front bike suspension, I would get something like this KingCobra:

5. And if you do use a fork-mount rack, what do you do with the wheel? Toss it into the car I assume... but since Yakima doesn't make a wheel fork for the Lefty... or maybe there are other options? Maybe other stuff I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.
    I don't have a lefty, but I have a pair of lockjaw type trays on my '96 GTi factory roof rack. I no longer use the roof racks since I went to a trailer hitch rack.

On my older Jetta (before I sold it, teh roof racks and trays) used a more traditional front wheel off type tray. I found the Lockjaw was so dang easy to use, I wish I had two for the older car. Just throw the bike up there and click!

I would say get the Lockjaw type just out of being a better tray.

BTW, how do you like the GTi so far? I have a two door older one, and love it except for taking the baby anywhere. 2 door sucks for back seat baby carriers. I would love to get one of the newer 4 door ones.

*edit*

Oh, sorry. Didn't see you haven't picked up the car yet. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I use this Thule side arm with my lefty and it's about the fastest way to put any bike on a car

http://therackshop.com/594.html.

mtbr member
    All:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2479386

Thanks.
    welcome!!

imo i would go with an upright rack such as the yakima king cobra (or new "better" version) or the Thule Side Arm.

it only takes a minute to take the lefty wheel off but you need to remove the disc brake caliper and then un-screw the lefty hub which in and of itself is a simple task however it requires tools and when the wheel is muddy, etc, its just a PITA

having only lefty's on my bikes I say go upright and consider the Yakima because it is "hands free" meaning you do not need to hold the bike and attach something rather you flip the wheel holder up and roll the bike on in - done deal

gordy

mtbr member
    Thanks for the welcome... and thanks to everyone for chiming in. Looks like I have some thinking to do...

But at least I can do it now a bit more informed than before.

Thanks again.

mtbr member

any issues with a GTI with hitch rack?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I don't have a lefty, but I have a pair of lockjaw type trays on my '96 GTi factory roof rack. I no longer use the roof racks since I went to a trailer hitch rack.

On my older Jetta (before I sold it, teh roof racks and trays) used a more traditional front wheel off type tray. I found the Lockjaw was so dang easy to use, I wish I had two for the older car. Just throw the bike up there and click!

I would say get the Lockjaw type just out of being a better tray.

BTW, how do you like the GTi so far? I have a two door older one, and love it except for taking the baby anywhere. 2 door sucks for back seat baby carriers. I would love to get one of the newer 4 door ones.

*edit*

Oh, sorry. Didn't see you haven't picked up the car yet. Let us know how it goes.
    I've been considering trading my Passat wagon in for a GTI, but my only hesitation is the ability to carry bikes. I've got a Sportworks T2 rack with the riser, and it's a 2 inch insert. Do you think I'd be able to get a 2 inch hitch, and carry 3 bikes off the back end of a GTI?

Thanks much -

ballbuster

None

Quote Originally Posted by goatboy001
    I've been considering trading my Passat wagon in for a GTI, but my only hesitation is the ability to carry bikes. I've got a Sportworks T2 rack with the riser, and it's a 2 inch insert. Do you think I'd be able to get a 2 inch hitch, and carry 3 bikes off the back end of a GTI?

Thanks much -
    well, only a couple really. I got the Performance Bike X-Port Flatbed. It doesn't have a ton of ground clearance in back and it sometimes drags a bit when folded up (the horizontals stick down a bit when folded up) on steep ramp driveways. Also, the top hooks have to be lowered down a bit to open the hatchback, and the bike can't occupy the inner (forward?) slot if you wanna open the hatch. No big deal.

I don't think anybody makes a 2" receiver for a GTi, so you're going to be mostly limited to 2 bikes on the hitch. IIRC, Yakima and Hollywood had a 3 bike hanging type hitch rack.

I would highly recommend it.

Oh, and I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have a MK3 4 cyl GTi. I know the MK3 VR6 GTis have a different bumper setup, so there is hardly any room for a hitch receiver.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    I just purchased two Thule Sidearm's this weekend, and they kick ass!

LA CHÈVRE
    I use Thule Big Mouths for all my Lefty needs... Not too expensive, stable, the locking mechanism locks the jaws on the frame, not the front wheel so it's a tiny bit more secure than racks where you only have to undo the wheel to steal the bike.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Avenger of Evil
    I have 2 bikes with leftys, and have tried many differnt ways to transport them.
    Stick with something that allows you to keep the front wheel on. It's not dificult to remove, but, as stated, it is a PITA.
    I have used a King Cobra, but I like the hitch mount racks for easy access.
    The rack I use is not made anymore. Yakima Rim Roc. Holds the bike buy hanging it from the rims. Works great for Leftys.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

hey joe,

what kind of bars are you using for you sidearm's?

i have a rabbit (baby GTI) like iDooD, with factory racks and i cant find anywhere to get the Xadapt1 kit to make it work with my aero bars....

where did you get them as well and how much?
    the cheapest I found was 116....

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1. I use a thule roof rack on my car. My mountain bike is an '05 Prophet 600 with the Lefty.
    2. I have a lefty adapter but I no longer use it (Hurricane Components Fork-Up). I keep it as a spare, though, just in case I cannot use my Bigmouth rack for some reason.
    3. When I used the adapter it would take me about 2-3 minutes to get the disk caliper off, remove the wheel, pop on the Fork-Up, then mount it on the car.
    4. I was told that removing and reinstalling the caliper over and over again will eventually lead to stripped threads on the fork so I stopped using the Fork-Up.
    5. I throw the wheel in the trunk of my '06 Jetta GLI. Maybe not 'throw' but I put it in there with the disk up.

I really like the Thule Big Mouth carriers. You just ensure that the wheel straps are not attached then you place the bike on the tray, lift the arm to the downtube, flip the locking lever, ensuring that the jaws are holding the downtube securely, lock it, then strap down the tires. Done. The newer ones automatically adjust for different downtube diameters and is very secure. Resist the temptation to save some money by buying the older models that does not have the automatically adjust for the downtube diameter as these are more difficult to put a bike on the rack, especially if you have more than one bike that you may transport on it.

herbivore
    May 2006
    Been a yak customer for 17 years. My choice is the king cobra for my lefty. It will adjust for 20"- 700c.

mtbr member
    i should qualify my previous statement.

For roof mount I would go Yakima King Cobra (did it with a Lefty for many years) but my preferred bike carrying solution is hitch mount
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    All... once again, thanks for all the replies.

I do like the idea of the hitch-mounted rack, but so far I cannot find a hitch for the 4-door GTI. Interestingly enough, one exists for the 2-door models, but apparently there's some sort of difference between the two models with respect to the way the hitch attaches to the car. And another issue I have is the slope of my driveway. I'm afraid the rack would drag... and in reality, I know it would.

But I can say the following...

Based on everyone's input here, and my experience with transporting the bike to an adventure race this weekend with my current car (still waiting on the GTI to arrive), I can assure you I want nothing to do with removing the wheel... especially in the dark... and not "in the dark" taking the wheel off in the lighted comfort of my garage, but "in the dark" trying to put it back on in an unlit parking lot. I think the High Roller or King Cobra is the way to go... especially considering there's no wheel fork for a lefty wheel (though I reckon I could make one), but mud and pure nastiness was dripping off the bike after the race. I'm not so interested in placing a muddy front wheel into the back of my new car.

Again... thanks to all for taking the time to provide your input. I truly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Final update...

I got the King Cobra, and for now it's mounted to my Yakima Hitch Fork rack hanging from the 2" receiver of my truck.

You guys were right... awesome rack.

Loading and unloading the bike take a whopping 10 seconds.

Hind site... it's hard to believe I even considered unbolting the wheel and caliper from the Lefty to attach the bike to a fork-mounted system.

Thanks again all.

mtbr member
    Final update...

I got the King Cobra, and for now it's mounted to my Yakima Hitch Fork rack hanging from the 2" receiver of my truck.

You guys were right... awesome rack.

Loading and unloading the bike take a whopping 10 seconds.

Hind site... it's hard to believe I even considered unbolting the wheel and caliper from the Lefty to attach the bike to a fork-mounted system.

Thanks again all.
    idood. sounds groovy. glad you're happy with the setup. hey this forums are worth something after all....

gordy

Members who have read this thread: 0