mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Carry 4 bikes on a Travel Trailer?

Gettin' ready to make some irresponsible purchases!

I need some help with carrying 4 bikes on a travel trailer. The trailer is a Lance 1685 (if that matters). It's constructed in a way to add a hitch without just hanging it on the flimsy bumper. It's not cheap to add. But it can be properly done. Anyhow, I've searched a bit and it appears the rack makers are not on board with 4 bikes on the back of a travel trailer.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to best carry 4 bikes on a travel trailer?

My original thought was to go all in for the HD 1-Up knowing I could use it on the tow vehicle at other times. But it looks like maybe I will have to buy 2 racks. One for the front of the trailer and one for the rear. Such a bummer. Suggestion box is wide open!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Found something - putting it on here in case it's useful for others.

Buy one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/UP-Front-UPNF.../dp/B00NI1TYJG

Attach your existing hitch rack to it. Between the tow vehicle and the trailer (assuming there is room). Not very aero...but oh well.

Then buy another rack for the back of the trailer.

Alternatively - This looks promising
    https://www.rvkayakracks.com/collect...nt=45688126925

FYI - North Shore doesn't warranty for RV use. :-/

Now I just need to get some locking pins/bolts for the whole setup so nobody can steal the racks.

Maybe use an anti hitch rattle device on both? They say removing vibration is key.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...CABEgKB7PD_BwE

And about that HD chain with a sheath for the padlock....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm located in Germany for a bit, and I see 4 bike racks on the back of campers all the time...

For example this one that's expandable from 2 to 4 bikes:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motor...ndard-_-309821
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That looks decent but it's not available in the USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    That looks decent but it's not available in the USA.
    True... maybe importable from a UK webshop or something, but

From what I've read, the limits for hitch racks on the back of campers is because they move/bounce quite a bit since they're far from the axle/wheels, but since your Lance has a legit hitch, I think your 1up plan is reasonable.

I'd add aux lights for sure.

If you go for the two-front and two-back idea, you can get this and put two add-ons on it, then when you mount the rack to the tow vehicle, you can can mount 4 bikes together.
    https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-hitch-adapter/
    --------------

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    From what I've read, the limits for hitch racks on the back of campers is because they move/bounce quite a bit since they're far from the axle/wheels, but since your Lance has a legit hitch, I think your 1up plan is reasonable.

0718180753 by Nate, on Flickr

And even though this example shows one of those crappy clamp-on receivers on the flimsy bumper, it's the RACK that is the problem, not the receiver or bumper. All that bouncy-bouncy is a real and serious problem.

I'd definitely go with the 1up (2 bikes) on the back, since that is one good hitch rack I KNOW that's rated for such use, and 2 bikes up front.

For my small camper, I use roof trays (with the subie that tows it) when I go on trips anymore. I tried other methods, and this is best for my uses. Eventually, I'll be replacing my car (which can't tow) with a pickup truck, and once I go that route, I'll either be putting the bikes on roof trays over the bed, or under a camper shell, depending on which truck I wind up with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    @Harold - Outdoor RV makes an integrated hitch in the rear of their units. With supporting welds to the frame. I'll end up paying a metal fabricator a few bucks to add some supports and integrate the hitch receiver. Bolting it onto the bumper is roulette. The rear ladder is more stable. But going that route, you can't use that same rack for anything else.

@J_westy - that 1Up attachment looks like the ticket! I plan to use the 1Up as a 4-bike setup on my SUV for regular use. That piece opens up possibilities to turn a 4-bike into 2 separate carriers. Thanks!

since 4/10/2009
    @Harold - Outdoor RV makes an integrated hitch in the rear of their units. With supporting welds to the frame. I'll end up paying a metal fabricator a few bucks to add some supports and integrate the hitch receiver. Bolting it onto the bumper is roulette. The rear ladder is more stable. But going that route, you can't use that same rack for anything else.
    With bikes, I don't feel like the hitch itself is the weak point in most setups. Lots of morons buying cheap bike racks and overloading them with dept store porkers (like the example I posted above - this was my boss, and his family all had cheap, heavy bikes) and the rack itself bends like my pic shows. When I saw this, I had a few words for him about how dangerous that was.

mtbr member
    Why don't you put the bikes inside? No one will ride in the trailer when you are in motion. There should be room in the "isle".
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @Harold - Outdoor RV makes an integrated hitch in the rear of their units. With supporting welds to the frame. I'll end up paying a metal fabricator a few bucks to add some supports and integrate the hitch receiver.
    What does it come with? Some kind of bolt-on hitch ball?

I'm not following why you need to have something fabricated...
    --------------

mtbr member
    Can you put two IN the camper? That's what I ended up doing and it works fine. Two bikes are smaller hardtails though so it makes it a bit easier. I made a hitch for the tongue of the teardrop camper which takes a 1up double. The two add-ons get folded up and go in the camper with two bikes. Once I'm at the campsite, the teardrop comes off, the 1up goes on the truck, then I add the add-ons and we are good to go for 4. If that makes sense.

Carry 4 bikes on a Travel Trailer?-img_5104.jpgCarry 4 bikes on a Travel Trailer?-img_5111.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This is close to the setup I will end up with. A rig for the rack on the frt of the trailer and perhaps a custom hitch receiver for the back. Swap it to the car when I get there. Putting them inside may be possible. Depending upon what trailer I end up with. But I'm concerned with them rattling around in there. I may flirt with some sort of tie down situation. Most of the trailers I'm looking at have a pop-out which severely impacts interior storage space. Curious what camper you have there? I'm likely to buy a Lance 1685.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    What does it come with? Some kind of bolt-on hitch ball?

I'm not following why you need to have something fabricated...
    Sorry I neglected to mention I'm not buying an Outdoor RV. They appear to be the only ones who have an option available for an integrated hitch receiver that's reinforced. For anything else, you have to have a fabricator add reinforcements while they do the install of the hitch.