carmax experiences...- Mtbr.com
    hipneck
    Jan 2004

carmax experiences...

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone has bought a vehicle from carmax using the transfer process. Im looking at a 2007 Impreza located in Indiana and I live near KC. The transport fee seems reasonable but wanted to get some input from someone who has done this. Is this a bad idea for a buyer?

mtbr member
    I have only dealt with CM selling two vehicles and the experience was very positive. I both cases I got more for the cars than at their respective dealerships. (VW and Mercedes)
    Perhaps their cars may be a little more pricey but Carmax doesn't sell junk, offer a warranty and are very professional to deal with.
    I don't think you can go wrong but like I said I never bought a car from them or work for them.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    We've bought two cars from there and both times everything went really smooth. I've test driven a couple other cars there also, and they never seem to hide anything in the pictures, so what you see on the website is probably what you'll get. Like Oscar said, you do pay a little bit more, but the salespeople aren't nearly as pushy as other dealerships I've dealt with

mtbr member
    I have sold a handful of cars to Carmax but I never purchased anything. Not being able to negotiate their ridiculously high prices is a turn off. If you know what to look for when buying a used car it isn't worth Carmax's additional premium to pay over market value on a used car.

Last time I was there they were selling a 1 year old Ford Focus for the same as a brand new one (with all the rebats Ford was offering at the time). Carmax may try to portray themselves as fair and honest but at the end of the day they are no better than any other used car lot. They feast off the uneducated/uninformed car buyer. Just my .02
    Signature

Rohloff
    Beware of Carmax when trading in your car. They calculate the tax savings of trading in your car when giving you the trade in value. It's a way of making you think you are getting more for your car than you really are. I didn't catch it until we were signing the paperwork at the very end. DEAL OVER!

Members who have read this thread: 0