cargo rack- Mtbr.com

Thread: cargo rack

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

cargo rack

so i got a job out in montana this summer and plan on taking my bike but we are taking 3 people in a passat and we will be cramped for space. with that being said, I am wondering if anyone has ever made a homemade/has a cargo rack on there car?

I am a DIYer so plans or just ideas would even help me get the wheels turning (no pun intended).

cargo racks look like this...Yakima Load Warrior Roof-top Luggage Basket Carrier

I am thinking maybe make it out of 2x4 and plywood? thoughts?

I am not looking for fashion but I do have a cousin who could help me weld some pipe. Any ideas of how thick of pipe? 1/2"?

anything will help... thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm trying to picture the top of the Passat and how much room you'd have to account for the cargo rack that would be on the roof, correct? I would say you'd be good with 1/2" to 2/3" thickness of the pipe, just make sure the entire mount doesn't become heavier than say, 20 pounds or so for your own sake of having to reposition it.

One more question, would the plywood be the end pieces with the welded pipe running between? Just curious for the sake of reinforcement. I'd look at having some sort of pipe on top and bottom of the plywood (if it was going to serve as end pieces) for locking in the tires even more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead21 View Post
    I'm trying to picture the top of the Passat and how much room you'd have to account for the cargo rack that would be on the roof, correct? I would say you'd be good with 1/2" to 2/3" thickness of the pipe, just make sure the entire mount doesn't become heavier than say, 20 pounds or so for your own sake of having to reposition it.

One more question, would the plywood be the end pieces with the welded pipe running between? Just curious for the sake of reinforcement. I'd look at having some sort of pipe on top and bottom of the plywood (if it was going to serve as end pieces) for locking in the tires even more.
    I ran out and did some measurements on the passat. The end-to-end of the roof rack bars are 42". I would like a bike mount right next to it if possible to carry my bike or else I can find a cheap trunk carrier that i can put my bike on. I'm not too concerned about the weight besides dragging down on gas mileage... moving it around will not be a problem.

My thought on the plywood would be that it would be the bottom base then maybe build some 2x6s (or 2x4s) for the edges that come up. I'm just wondering if this would work. I have the materials to do it so maybe a weekend warrior project this weekend to test it out. Any thought about this? does my description make sense?

Members who have read this thread: 0