Carbon Fiber Bike on a rack?- Mtbr.com
    Green Mojo

Carbon Fiber Bike on a rack?

I have a brand new, beautiful $5000 carbon fiber Ibis Mojo (green paint) and I am taking a long road trip this week. If I use my hitch mounted Thule rack, will I damage my frame? (The bike hangs on the rack with 2 rubber hold down straps.)

If I clean the bike before trip and then wrap that area with soft cloth - will that prevent scratching? Does anyone have this experience?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would pop for a new rack. Something like this
    http://www.thuleracks.com/thulecan/p...t_id=8&sku=916

Ride Responsibly
    5K for a bike, I would get a fully inclosed cargo trailer to carry it.
    I have a Kestrel road bike that I would not hang by the frame, I use a front fork mount, only points of contact is the front dropouts and the strap over the rear rim

flow where ever you go
    The rack won't hurt the bike. As long as it holds your bike securely then you are in luck (no need to purchase another rack).

To protect the paint just put some protective tape (like helicopter tape) on the bike where the mounts will go (and surrounding area)..... or ...... clean it and wrap it as you suggest.

Of course, after your first scratch or two, you'll realize the bike is nearly as beautiful and just as fun and functional as ever.

Have fun.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't be at all concerned about scratches, but be very careful of the rubber straps gripping to and tearing decals and clearcoat. Your best option is to go with a wheel-tray-style hitch rack instead of the ones where the frame hangs and are secured from straps.

The issue I've personally experienced with those racks is this: you're driving on the freeway, and the faster you go, the more the wind wants to torque your bike under the straps. You can try all manner of tie-downs, etc. to minimize it, but those rubber straps can be murder on your frame. Just exercise caution.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

Green Mojo

Yakima Tubetop

I found a nice accessory from Yakima that looks like it will work - it's called a Yakima Tubetop. It's a small bar that fits from your seatpost to the handlebar stem, then the bar hangs on the hitchmount rack (quite nifty). I have an email question in to Yakima Tech support to verify it can be used with a carbon fiber seat post. I assume it can be since the instructions doesn't say it can't be used for that scenario.

Thanks for help and answers.

flow where ever you go

good find

Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I found a nice accessory from Yakima that looks like it will work - it's called a Yakima Tubetop.
    nifty and smart looking contraption that would have saved many people a lot of money when they end up buying new car mounts because their new bike doesn't fit the old rack.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    if you can drop 5000 on a bike you can drop 300 on a new rack like the Thule T2 where the bike mounts in wheel trays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The new Thelma from Saris is great. I've been using a Saris Cycle-On for years.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Members who have read this thread: 0