Car/SUV/Minivan - Tent camping + bike hauler suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Car/SUV/Minivan - Tent camping + bike hauler suggestions

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, my first post. I've been reading some older forum posts/responses and wanted to ask for help on suggested vehicles.

Me and family (5 of us, all teens and adults) have traditionally used a Prius/Fusion or a Pathfinder to go camping. The last few years we've got into the bike scene and all now have bikes. We decided to go camping last week and my usual setup to haul 5 bikes to the local bike trail is a bike rack and hitch on my commuter car (Ford Fusion). So we set off with a very loaded up car and I immediately notice a big issue of the rack being 5" off the ground, an bumps in the road and we're hitting the rack. Fusion under load just can't take it so bikes had to come off.

I've driven an 06 Pathfinder, liked it functionally but hated the gas mileage which was about 12 mpg. It would have suited my need though but I cringe at the thought of doing a 1000 miles in it. Looking to find a second hand reliable vehicle that can carry 5 full sized bikes, 5 people and all our tent camping gear. Honda Pilot, 4Runner and an F150 crew seem to be contenders. Is there anything else that would work in terms of good mpg, and not set me back a bundle in cash?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ford Transit?
    What kind of rack are you using for 5 bikes now? Need a pretty hefty hitch and rack to handle that kind of weight. May have to split them up and do both a hitch and roof rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm using a Curt rack: CURT 18065 Premium Dual-Arm 5-Bike Rack

Its okay, tends to sway a bit and didn't help with an adapter I was using but does the job pretty well so far. Only gone across the metro with it so far.

In terms of this tread I've answered my own question by getting a Ford Flex with a decent tow package.

Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Ford Transit?
    What kind of rack are you using for 5 bikes now? Need a pretty hefty hitch and rack to handle that kind of weight. May have to split them up and do both a hitch and roof rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by camper_bike View Post
    In terms of this tread I've answered my own question by getting a Ford Flex with a decent tow package.
    That's a good call... Flexes are pretty cool I think. I wanted one versus the Explorer we got for my wife, but they were more coin than we wanted to afford at the time. What engine/package did you get?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Its a 2010 3.5 V6 Flex SEL package. High mileage but ex-corporate so its clean.

Are you opposed to pulling a light trailer? It would pack most or all your camping gear and bikes. You could probably just use your Fusion to pull it.