Car Shopping, paging Subaru owners- Mtbr.com
    Code Burr

Car Shopping, paging Subaru owners

Anyone have an impreza wagon? Can you fit a bike in the back? I really like the wrx and hate to ruin the looks and performance with a roof rack or hitch mount.

mtbr member
    If you take the front wheel off.. you can put a mtn bike in a CRX. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm assuming you mean with the back seats fold down? I just got an Impreza 2.5 Wagon, and can fit the following with the seats down:

2 bikes (my cx and wife's hybrid) with front wheels off, propped vertical with the back tires behind the front seats, and handlebars at the back windshield. Could prob fit a 3rd bike this way as well, facing the other direction.

My bike, with just the seatpost pushed all the way down, angled in the backseat/trunk area, w/o taking either wheel off.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Anyone have an impreza wagon? Can you fit a bike in the back? I really like the wrx and hate to ruin the looks and performance with a roof rack or hitch mount.
    Then you are going to mess up the interior.

No matter how careful you think you are, eventually you'll slip up, and the interior will get screwed up by putting the bike in the back.

My turner 6 pack would not fit in the rear of my WRX wagon without taking the front off, and that was with the ETA (travel reduction) engaged and the seatpost slammed all the way down. There's not that much room in the back for bikes.

I don't see how a hitch rack screws up the looks, because you don't have to leave it on all the time. I also don't see how it screws up the performance much, if anything it improves the weight bias, but there are plenty of things you can do to easily boost the horsepower and tighten up the handling on a WRX.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Then you are going to mess up the interior.

No matter how careful you think you are, eventually you'll slip up, and the interior will get screwed up by putting the bike in the back.

My turner 6 pack would not fit in the rear of my WRX wagon without taking the front off, and that was with the ETA (travel reduction) engaged and the seatpost slammed all the way down. There's not that much room in the back for bikes.

I don't see how a hitch rack screws up the looks, because you don't have to leave it on all the time. I also don't see how it screws up the performance much, if anything it improves the weight bias, but there are plenty of things you can do to easily boost the horsepower and tighten up the handling on a WRX.
    You aint lying about that. The WRX wagon i've got my eye on comes with an AP and the mapping software so you can tune it from home. That car is fast as hell stock and I'm wondering what it can do with the second stage maps.

I have a hitch rack now for my trailblazer but i'm always worried that someone is going to steal the bike off it while i'm at work. I can take the front wheel off and lay it in sideways, and yes scuff up the interior but I was hoping you could fit a bike in vertical like the other poster said and drop in a 2 x4 or some metal stock and bolt it to the seat brackets. I met a guy a few weeks back with a friggin escalade of all things that had 3 bikes mounted vertically in the cargo bay. It looked like a roof rack tray and it mounted directly to his seat brackets. I'm not a fan of 12 mpg cars but this thing was a serious bike hauler. My blazer can haul 3 bikes but only if they are layed flat with a cushion between them and then everyone starts *****ing that their $3k titus got scratched in transit.

post some pics if you can

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure this is not the car you want but you can haul three bikes with the front wheels removed, three people and all your gear inside a Honda Element. You can haul 4-5 bikes with wheels on and two people if you fold or take out both rear seats. For it's size it is one major hauler.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ...but I was hoping you could fit a bike in vertical like the other poster said and drop in a 2 x4 or some metal stock and bolt it to the seat brackets.
    There is _NO_ way you are going to get a MTB in the back of an Impreza wagon standing upright. I've got an Outback wagon, which has similar height rear hatch area (though probably deeper), and I use a hitch mounted T2. The bike fits in the back with the seats folded down, but I'd rather keep the interior clean and keep the bike out.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    There is _NO_ way you are going to get a MTB in the back of an Impreza wagon standing upright. (snip)
    yes you can- it just takes removing the front wheel and taking out the seat/post.

best i've done in my 03' wrx waggon w/ seats down:

2 bikes
    camping gear for 4 days w/ food.
    2 people comfortably.

then again, this was back when the bikes had 26" wheels- I havent tried this with my 29er- i doubt it would work.

to the origional poster: get a WRX. it's been the finest vehicle i've owned. reliable, pretty good mileage, easy to work on, lots of aftermarket parts, horsepower can be gained with not too much coin, and when you stomp on the skinny pedal, hang on! that and STi powerpalnts are only $6k, so that might be a fun swap.....when you win the lottery (as i sneak off to buy a ticket)

be prepared for: going thru brakes quick, tires quick, and the occasional speeding ticket. 90 mph's really easy to obtain.

also reccomended (if not having been a driver for MANY years): driving classes. learn how to drive it correctly. if not, you're in for a serious world of hurt....financially or worse.

mtbr member
    05 WRX wagon signing in. You can fit a bike in the back with ease. I put mine on the roof though - the Subaru roof cross bars are genuine Yakima equipment with a Subaru sticker instead of a Yakima one. And you're hardly hurting the performance of your vehicle with a roof rack, gas mileage is about all that suffers .

Two bikes on roof, car loaded down with camping gear for four days. Headed from Sacramento to Truckee on 80 easily passing and running with a guy in a Porsche Boxster all the way up.

:wq

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    05 WRX wagon signing in. You can fit a bike in the back with ease. I put mine on the roof though - the Subaru roof cross bars are genuine Yakima equipment with a Subaru sticker instead of a Yakima one. And you're hardly hurting the performance of your vehicle with a roof rack, gas mileage is about all that suffers .

Two bikes on roof, car loaded down with camping gear for four days. Headed from Sacramento to Truckee on 80 easily passing and running with a guy in a Porsche Boxster all the way up.
    nice ride!

by the way, all: you can fit 4 bikes on top of a WRX. it just takes a little careful planning...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have an '03 WRX with a hitch rack and I have not noticed performance losses and since mine is black, you can't even really see the hitch. Like someone said earlier, you just take off the hitch rack when you're done. Mine comes on and off in less than 2 minutes (literally) so that isn't a big deal at all. I've had a really good experience with my hitch and rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    nice ride!

by the way, all: you can fit 4 bikes on top of a WRX. it just takes a little careful planning...

I love your wagon. My previous Subaru was an '03 Sonic Yellow sedan. I miss that car so much I had a chance to buy one for $18k in 2004 when we were looking for a car for my wife - how cool would that have been? A sonic yellow sedan AND wagon! But the wife shot it down and she got an 01 2.5 RS coupe instead. It's a sweet car, but a sonic yellow wagon...

Hi!!!
    <--- Parttimer at REI going on 10 years....

Good to see you lugging around Novara's...

Elitest thrill junkie
    yes you can- it just takes removing the front wheel and taking out the seat/post.

best i've done in my 03' wrx waggon w/ seats down:

2 bikes
    camping gear for 4 days w/ food.
    2 people comfortably.

then again, this was back when the bikes had 26" wheels- I havent tried this with my 29er- i doubt it would work.
    You also may be talking about a relatively "small" XC bike, such as the one pictured above on top of the wrx wagon (my wagon looks almost EXACTLY the same as that white one!). That is fine for a small XC bike, but putting a bigger XC bike like my turner 6 pack in the back is just not very easy or relistic. I can do it, I have done it, but it required pushing the front seats forward (cramping my legroom) and taking the front wheel off of course. Two bikes might have fit on top of each other, but that will definitely screw up the interior. Putting the bike in upright with the front wheel off? LOL, no way in hell unfortunatly.

It's not really realistic to put a bike in the back, yes it can be done, but it cramps the space a lot, and it will screw up the interior eventually.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    <--- Parttimer at REI going on 10 years....

Good to see you lugging around Novara's...
    I love my Pondo.

Less yappin, more Brappin

get it get it!

Bike rack on top! 2006 WRX wagon.

I have Yakima Rail Rider towers and 2 Thule Velovice facing backwards(so that I can open up the hatch without hitting the rack or a tire), and a Thule Sidearm facing forward in the middle. Theres room for another upright in the middle as well with 48"bars. If I went to wider bars I could fit 2 more Velovice's, but then you can really only carry 4 adults with bike gear comfortably at that point, so why have more than 4 racks?

Sick car though. Fast, snappy, and plays well with bikes!

mtbr member
    Hey, geoff - if you have long enough bars, it's safe (with some bike racks, like the viper) to mount the bike outside of the towers, which should be enough to clear the wing on the rear hatch. If you look, that's how I have mine mounted

ali'i hua

I love your wagon. My previous Subaru was an '03 Sonic Yellow sedan. I miss that car so much I had a chance to buy one for $18k in 2004 when we were looking for a car for my wife - how cool would that have been? A sonic yellow sedan AND wagon! But the wife shot it down and she got an 01 2.5 RS coupe instead. It's a sweet car, but a sonic yellow wagon...
    hey thanks! the sonic yellow ones are few and far between.

oh and belayslave- fellow REI slave here as well (bike mech @ store 17)

mtbr member
    hey thanks! the sonic yellow ones are few and far between.

oh and belayslave- fellow REI slave here as well (bike mech @ store 17)
    The numbers I saw were only 1500 made. Beautiful color.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have an '06 Impreza Outback Wagon, you can get 2-3 bikes in the back, but it sucks. So does the factory rack. I'm going to sell the factory rack (Vipers?) and go with a Thule t2 or Yakima hook up hitch mounted rack.

If youre looking at wrxs, the 2.0 turbo motor, imo (sorry), isnt worthwhile. Get an '06 with the 2.5. I went with the non-turbo and saved about 5 grand because paying over $20K for an Impreza seemed foolish. I like my car for $19.5K, but Imprezas are economy cars, and making it faster still yields economy car interior, a sub-par paint job, easily dinged-up sheetmetal, and a mediocre sound system (yes, I have the "high-end" sound system). My friends STI has good performance, but its still %90 identical to my Outback wagon, and my wagon is more comfortable cruising on the highway, on dirt roads, and in traffic. For the %2 of the time when you can use the available performance it is nice, though.

mtbr member
    ^^ do you have the round bars or the square bars?

Oh, So Interesting!
    ^^ do you have the round bars or the square bars?

My car came with aero bars. They are too flexy for 2 heavy bikes, for sure. The Sub rack (dual Vipers w/ a crossbar connecting them), was the cheapest rack for the car as the dealer gave me a deal w/ the car. They make a ton of noise, and you lose power and gas mileage too. I don't like hitch mount either as it makes the car a lot longer, and if someone rear ended you with 2 nice bikes on the back it would suck, but it seems like the best solution. I will probably just load the bike in the back w/ half the seat folded down for solo trips, and get the T2 out if I need the capacity. I can load one bike in the back easily, without damaging the interior.

mtbr member
    Look at getting the real Yakima equipment through your Subaru dealer. When I bought my wagon I got the round cross bar kit, which as I was saying above, is Yakima equipment with Subaru stickers on it. The Viper is a Yakima round bar fit and won't fit those flexy aero bar jobbies. My biggest gripe with the hitch mount would be the hatch access - I always need to be in my hatch when I'm out biking and couldn't deal with removing the bikes every time I needed to open it up. That hatch area makes a great seat when you're changing socks, putting on shoes, etc

Here's a pic of the viper:

Code Burr
    What kind of mpg are you guys getting?

mtbr member
    I get about 21mpg for my normal driving (which consists of A LOT of stop and go traffic). When I do highway drives (like to Tahoe, SF, etc) I avg 25-30mpg, depending on how many times my gas pedal finds the floor

ali'i hua
    You also may be talking about a relatively "small" XC bike, such as the one pictured above on top of the wrx wagon (my wagon looks almost EXACTLY the same as that white one!). That is fine for a small XC bike, but putting a bigger XC bike like my turner 6 pack in the back is just not very easy or relistic. I can do it, I have done it, but it required pushing the front seats forward (cramping my legroom) and taking the front wheel off of course. Two bikes might have fit on top of each other, but that will definitely screw up the interior. Putting the bike in upright with the front wheel off? LOL, no way in hell unfortunatly.

It's not really realistic to put a bike in the back, yes it can be done, but it cramps the space a lot, and it will screw up the interior eventually.
    not small- both frames are 19". they are hardtails though- so no extra inches of frame/unsagged height due to springy bits.

edit: the handlebars were turned in this case- i forgot to emntion this earlier. so, to totally get a bike in: front wheel off, stem bolts loostened, seat and post removed. fork was then mounted to a truck bed style fork mount that was strapped to a folded down back seat. precise enough?
    Last edited by SlowSSer; 12-08-2006 at 03:20 PM.

ali'i hua
    What kind of mpg are you guys getting?
    around town/driving like an idiot/all over the turbo/stupid smile on face: 16mpg
    behaving it around town: 20.
    the drive from slowcal to northern oregon: 28 mpg. (at nearly 80mph the whole tank)

oh- more advice for the new WRX owner- if it's legal in your state, get a radar detector and spend some $$$ on it- my passport has already saved me from 4 tickets. at a $250 price, that's worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are planning to leave the car parked, then putting the bike in the back is the way to go. You can always get a cargo mat which will contain most of the mess anyway.

Hitch rack is nice since you don't have to heave the bike over your head every time you load and unload.

Elitest thrill junkie
    around town/driving like an idiot/all over the turbo/stupid smile on face: 16mpg
    the drive from slowcal to northern oregon: 28 mpg. (at nearly 80mph the whole tank)

oh- more advice for the new WRX owner- if it's legal in your state, get a radar detector and spend some $$$ on it- my passport has already saved me from 4 tickets. at a $250 price, that's worth it to me.
    That sounds about right. I went to san diego from arizona a few weeks back and did about 28mpg on the way out (initially lots of downhill, but mostly flat) and about 25 on the way back (some steep uphill grades). I was impressed that it was actually pretty damn close to the claimed, and that I was doing 80mph most of the time. In the flat I was doing about 27mpg easily and consistantly.

In town it's real easy to ram gas down into the cylinders with the turbo.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    If youre looking at wrxs, the 2.0 turbo motor, imo (sorry), isnt worthwhile. Get an '06 with the 2.5. I went with the non-turbo and saved about 5 grand because paying over $20K for an Impreza seemed foolish. I like my car for $19.5K, but Imprezas are economy cars, and making it faster still yields economy car interior, a sub-par paint job, easily dinged-up sheetmetal, and a mediocre sound system (yes, I have the "high-end" sound system). My friends STI has good performance, but its still %90 identical to my Outback wagon, and my wagon is more comfortable cruising on the highway, on dirt roads, and in traffic. For the %2 of the time when you can use the available performance it is nice, though.
    Well, the STI does have 4 wheels just like your outback, and maybe you think it's "90% the same" because it's based on the same basic chassi, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. Different brakes, different wheels, different suspension, different transmission, on the fly-adjustable torque splitting, turbo, intercooler with water spray, all of the induction and hardware that is required for those two things, different exaust, different computer, different interior (seats, gauges, etc), different body, etc.

Your outback is most definitely more comfortable on any surface that isn't perfectly smooth, that's a no brainer, but it's pretty far from "90% the same", the engine and drivetrain is very different, even if it shares the same basic block. Even my basic "WRX" wagon has a lot different than your outback in terms of suspension, brakes, engine, etc. It has everything packed up nice and tight underneath for decent ground clearance, but again, your outback would still be far better on rough surfaces though.

If you want to see some of what is different, go to www.subaruwrxparts.com add up the cost of WRX STI brembo brakes, the BBS wheels, the HID lights, the turbo (not the induction, not the intercooler, just the turbo itself). That right there is about $6000, and there's far more that is different.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-08-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Well, the STI does have 4 wheels just like your outback, and maybe you think it's "90% the same" because it's based on the same basic chassi, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. Different brakes, different wheels, different suspension, different transmission, on the fly-adjustable torque splitting, turbo, intercooler with water spray, all of the induction and hardware that is required for those two things, different exaust, different computer, different interior (seats, gauges, etc), different body, etc.

Your outback is most definitely more comfortable on any surface that isn't perfectly smooth, that's a no brainer, but it's pretty far from "90% the same", the engine and drivetrain is very different, even if it shares the same basic block. Even my basic "WRX" wagon has a lot different than your outback in terms of suspension, brakes, engine, etc. It has everything packed up nice and tight underneath for decent ground clearance, but again, your outback would still be far better on rough surfaces though.

If you want to see some of what is different, go to www.subaruwrxparts.com add up the cost of WRX STI brembo brakes, the BBS wheels, the HID lights, the turbo (not the induction, not the intercooler, just the turbo itself). That right there is about $6000, and there's far more that is different.
    Yeah, I understand the differences... the %90 the same comment is more about the fact that the cars are both unmistakably Imprezas, sharing a chassis, most of the interior and trim, etc. I appreciate the performance differences, and in one way the STI is a great deal for the performance, on the other hand youre still spending $35K on an Impreza... BTW, I have driven the STI, and it is impressive, no doubt.

I believe that driving fast is best left to racecars and pushing the performance of an STI (or wrx) on the street is asking for trouble one way or the other. Before I went back to school I was building a rally car out of an AWD Talon to satisfy my go-fast urges, maybe I'll get to have a race car after I graduate and am making more $$$.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Look at getting the real Yakima equipment through your Subaru dealer. When I bought my wagon I got the round cross bar kit, which as I was saying above, is Yakima equipment with Subaru stickers on it. The Viper is a Yakima round bar fit and won't fit those flexy aero bar jobbies. My biggest gripe with the hitch mount would be the hatch access - I always need to be in my hatch when I'm out biking and couldn't deal with removing the bikes every time I needed to open it up. That hatch area makes a great seat when you're changing socks, putting on shoes, etc

Here's a pic of the viper:

The rack I have attaches to the aero bars, you leave the front wheel on and a bar clamps to the downtube, far less stable than the Viper... I have seen others with round bars on the factory rack, they seem much stronger.

I didn't think about hatch access, the T2 folds back, but would still be in the way... oh well, I think I'd rather deal with it than buy crossbars and 2 new roof mounted bike racks. Right now I'm scared to take corners with bikes on the roof.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I understand the differences... the %90 the same comment is more about the fact that the cars are both unmistakably Imprezas, sharing a chassis, most of the interior and trim, etc. I appreciate the performance differences, and in one way the STI is a great deal for the performance, on the other hand youre still spending $35K on an Impreza... BTW, I have driven the STI, and it is impressive, no doubt.

I believe that driving fast is best left to racecars and pushing the performance of an STI (or wrx) on the street is asking for trouble one way or the other. Before I went back to school I was building a rally car out of an AWD Talon to satisfy my go-fast urges, maybe I'll get to have a race car after I graduate and am making more $$$.
    Well, it's not the same trim, it's different interior-wise, for instance my year of WRX has the same seats as the STI, but completely different than the stock impreza. The nice thing about my WRX though is that there are no options needed, power windows and mirrors, power locks and security system, climate control, in dash changer, etc. My car has like 2 options different than just basic stock, but they are real minor things in the big picture (that in dash changer vrs just a single disc unit, and the turbo boost gauge). Now, the QUALITY of trim (which seems to be where you are going) is not like you'd find on a $35,000 audi, but then again that is why it costs $10 grand less. So, the interior is not as nice as some $35,000 euro-wagon (comparing ton a WRX wagon at $25,000), but it goes just as fast and hugs the road pretty damn well. Once you also price out a bunch of options in the impreza that come standard in the WRX, you aren't really saving much money.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Once you also price out a bunch of options in the impreza that come standard in the WRX, you aren't really saving much money.
    My Outback Special Edition Wagon was $19.4K w/ lots of options. Theres about a $5k price difference... I'd rather have a wrx, I just couldn't spend the cash. Imprezas are a lot of car for the money regardless of the model, I am just a little bit disappointed in the trim, paint, stereo, and structural integrity of the sheet metal.

What I really miss compared to the wrx, sti, even awd Talon is a limited slip rear differential. I can tell its not there on dirt and snow...

mtbr member
    The rack I have attaches to the aero bars, you leave the front wheel on and a bar clamps to the downtube, far less stable than the Viper... I have seen others with round bars on the factory rack, they seem much stronger.

I didn't think about hatch access, the T2 folds back, but would still be in the way... oh well, I think I'd rather deal with it than buy crossbars and 2 new roof mounted bike racks. Right now I'm scared to take corners with bikes on the roof.
    I can't speak to the aero bars, but with the round bars, I have personally speed tested two roof mounted bikes at 110 (closed course obviously..) and the area in which we ride requires a nice steep canyon road going in both directions. I rail it pretty good every weekend and the bikes don't move a bit. The round bars are extremely sturdy.

Roof racks aren't for everyone though. Actually, until I was on these sites (I admin at i-club) I never knew there was such an aversion to roof racks, but hitting something that is too low to clear is definitely a reality. You just have to be as careful as you can and hope you don't wack your bike on your garage, or a tree, etc. Actually, when I'm driving without my bike I'm still always watching for low clearance areas for when my bike is on the roof. I'm always nervous about it

mtbr member
    My Outback Special Edition Wagon was $19.4K w/ lots of options. Theres about a $5k price difference... I'd rather have a wrx, I just couldn't spend the cash. Imprezas are a lot of car for the money regardless of the model, I am just a little bit disappointed in the trim, paint, stereo, and structural integrity of the sheet metal.

What I really miss compared to the wrx, sti, even awd Talon is a limited slip rear differential. I can tell its not there on dirt and snow...
    To be fair to other similarly priced vehicles, the crappy paint and thin sheet metal seem to be a Subaru thing, not a price thing. The stereo in the WRX is ok, definitely good enough for my needs, but the subwoofer is pretty weak (I don't have it). The thing about the WRX, and especially the STI, is that you're buying an incredibly stiff (and extremely safe) chassis, bolted to which is a pretty fantastic engine (IMO, though it is a bit anemic in the heat, the EJ20 is a great engine), pretty good transmission (sti trans = hot hot hot though), pretty good brakes (sti brakes are fantastic), great suspension on both, the limited slips, etc. After Subaru engineered the performance, they remembered to put all that other stuff on - like the body panels and the interior. Coming from an '03 WRX, and also currently owning a 2001 2.5 RS, the '05 is a definite step up from previous models in regards to interior, stereo, HVAC, seats, etc. I hated the seats in my bugeye.

Worst of it is that now that I've had a WRX - my sedan dynoed at 250whp and my wagon dynoed at 186whp (just Access Port and uppipe), I can't drive a slow car again, and now that I've had a wagon, I don't want another sedan . And the next fast wagon (the LGT is going buhbye in the next year or so, only the OB will remain) is the S4 avant and I fear its reliability and maintenance costs. Oh well. I might buy a Tacoma for my next daily driver, or maybe even something used and decent for getting back and forth to work and the trail, and get something sweet for the weekend, like an S2K or some other sports 'vert in the $30-$40k range. Dunno :\

Oh, So Interesting!
    Yeah, I'd like to pick up a STI or EVO that is out of warranty and owned by an old lady install safety equipment, suspension, downsize the brakes, and go rally racing after I graduate. Here in the front range theres the Colorado Hillclimb Assn (Pike's Peak Hillclimb) that has events, SCCA rally, and also iceracing in the winter, you can go race alot w/ a rally car and also drive it on the street. Highly modded race cars are fun, but I would rather ride than work on cars these days... That, an economy-ish car and a pickup, and I'll be happy.

Another issue w/ the nice hitch racks is price, they are about $400 and another $100 for the hitch... I paid less than $200 for the Subie racks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'd like to pick up a STI or EVO that is out of warranty and owned by an old lady install safety equipment, suspension, downsize the brakes, and go rally racing after I graduate. Here in the front range theres the Colorado Hillclimb Assn (Pike's Peak Hillclimb) that has events, SCCA rally, and also iceracing in the winter, you can go race alot w/ a rally car and also drive it on the street. Highly modded race cars are fun, but I would rather ride than work on cars these days... That, an economy-ish car and a pickup, and I'll be happy.

Another issue w/ the nice hitch racks is price, they are about $400 and another $100 for the hitch... I paid less than $200 for the Subie racks.
    Yeah, up here the T2 rack is ~$600cdn!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, I'd like to pick up a STI or EVO that is out of warranty and owned by an old lady
    No joke, but there is a guy is his 70s around my neighborhood who drives an Evo. The first time I saw him I figured he must have been borrowing his grand-kids car cause his Nova was in the shop, but I've seen him numerous times since. I've never heard him wind it out, but nobody buys an Evo to just baby.

Maybe he went to the dealer planning on getting a Lancer, and was convinced the AWD Evo was safer. If so, I'd be happy to buy it when he is done with it ... in the meantime I'll keep driving our turbo Outback with a childseat in back.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was just thinking about this again on the way back from the trailhead.

Someone was talking about how they had never heard about all the "roof rack badmouthing", but what I probably should have said originally is that since the highway is the ONLY place where I do get decent milege in a WRX, it's all that much more important for me to preserve it.

banned

Glad to Be Alive
    man you should re-think hitch mount....it doesn't look bad
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-10-2006 at 01:09 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Code Burr
    Guys, one more question, how does the wagon fit taller people? I'm 6'3" 225 lbs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You can actually LOWER the driver's side seat, which is pretty cool. I was suprised. I'm 5'11" and I noticed that my neon cramped my height a little. It wasn't bad but I didn't have much extra. With the seat lowered in the WRX I have GOBS of headroom, so I'd think it wuold work great. What you won't have is any rear seat room, so don't plan on carrying anyone behind you if you are pretty tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned the Legacy GT wagon. I have an '05 LGT wagon that I love. I've been able to fit three bikes in the back and had room for three people total in the car (including myself). It took a bit of doing, but that's how my friend's and I rolled before I finally bought a T2 hitch mounted rack. While the Legacy probably doesn't handle as well or accelerate quite as fast as the WRX, it makes up for those detriments with added space and comfort for rear seat passengers. I'm 6'2" and I've had people sit behind me (but I do tend to drive seated more upright than my friends). I bought mine for just over $24k out the door! It has everything I need and nothing I don't (didn't want the moonroof). -- It is a manual though... I'm not sure if they sell manual LGT wagons anymore... but if you can find one, it's a great car that might fit your needs well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    oh yeah, here's a pic of my "loaded" LGT wagon with room for three passengers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Guys, one more question, how does the wagon fit taller people? I'm 6'3" 225 lbs.
    I'm 6'3 230 and my hair is four inches long (and I gel it straight up). I still have about 3 inches to the roof (from the top of my hair)

Members who have read this thread: 0