Car Safety- Mtbr.com

Thread: Car Safety

mtbr member
    May 2008

Car Safety

The chances of dying in a car are pretty high, and although I love driving small sports cars, I've decided I'd rather take my chances on the trail. So I'm planning to sell my 2 door convertible and getting something safer. I'd like to compare cars in across different classes (small car, mid-size, suv) and research more than the generic star or letter ratings. Does anyone know where I can find the specific crash test dummy impact scores? Any other advice for researching safety (especially across car classes)?

Some cars I'm considering are:

Mazda3 - somewhat fun to drive, good gas mileage, small so probably less safe

Sonata (Hybrid) - more spacious and probably more safe than the Mazda3. Not a big fan of family sedans.

Subaru Outback or Forester - more spacious and easier to haul my 29er. Better for trips. Poor gas mileage

Honda CRV

How would you rank the cars above in terms of safety?

tl1
    Bicyclist

mtbr member
    All the cars you listed are all rated an overall score of "good" by the IIHS, so that right there should mean all the cars have decent engineering in safety.

But I still think Subaru makes the safest cars out there:

Crash Test 2011 - Subaru Forester (Full Frontal Impact) NHTSA - YouTube
    take note at 1:24, engine/transmission assembly pivots downwards.

Then there's the super-stiff unibody. The Subaru ring-shaped reinforcement frame is so strong that the jaws of life are ineffective in certain portions of the unibody. Thankfully, I do believe firefighters around the USA have been briefed on optimal locations to cut pillars on Subarus.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. What I'd like to find is the data beyond the basic "good, average, poor" ratings. That would allow to compare cars closers and compare cars across classes (SUVs compared to sedans). Is that info published anywhere?

Right now I'm leaning towards a small to medium SUV. I've heard mixed things about SUVs and roll-overs but found this Are Smaller Cars as Safe as Large Cars? - Edmunds.com interesting.

Will probably add the GMC Terrain and Jeep Patriot to the list too.

ballbuster
    Remember what does not play into those ratings.... handling. Being able to avoid an accident is also important. It's been my experience that GM vehicles handle like mush.

I would think Subaru would be at the top of that list.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Remember what does not play into those ratings.... handling. Being able to avoid an accident is also important. It's been my experience that GM vehicles handle like mush.

I would think Subaru would be at the top of that list.
    Yeah, accident avoidance is a big thing to consider including some of the safety tech features that new cars have. I haven't driven a GM but I think Toyotas tend to have numb handling compared to Hondas.

Members who have read this thread: 0