Car Rack Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Car Rack Recommendations

I need a cheap, but reliable, bike rack for my grand am. I'm a college kid so I can't really justify spending too much money. I just need something that can carry one bike most of the time and two every once in a while. If I could ensure no damage to either bike or my car that'd be great too. It would need to be a trunk mount as I do not have a hitch. Also has to get over the fin on the trunk. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Sean831; 07-29-2011 at 02:37 PM.

code: mtbr2011
    check out the thule 910xt passage. it fits on your grand prix, carries 2 bikes, has removable bike arms with quality cradles, a lifetime warranty, will last you a long time, works on a huge variety of cars (including some of your buddies or a new car for you in the future) and comes with free shipping...all under $100.00

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue and my post count isn't high enough to start a new one.

I have a Cannondale 29er with the lefty and I am debating on whether to get an upright roof rack or get the lefty adapter and use the standard fork mount. Has anyone here used the adapter? I was leaning toward the Yakima Front Loader until I read a few reviews and saw the recall. With the 29" tires I really don't want this popping out on the freeway where I will spending a lot of my time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have an upright fork mount Thule (the base $100 one) mounted on my OEM Ford/Yakima square bar rack. I have been triple digits with it WITH the bike on the car (a$$hole was on my rear end so I punched it). My car is slammed with tight suspension, so I see more harshness than a normal car. it holds on well. Just don't yank the wheel on corners as much on the backroads so you don't rip the bike off sideways. I just monitor it through the sunroof. it wobbles a lil bit but seems OK. I got the fork mount so I didn't have an upright adapter that sits higher with the bike off. it's preference. I like it.

just my thoughts, that are worthless.

to the OP: watch the ones that rest on the bumper....my 95 Talon has wear marks and a push in area slightly where a bike mount was on the hatch.....try bigger pads at least.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Blue.

I have heard mixed reviews on the lefty adapter so I will probably be going the upright route since I won't be leaving it on the car when I don't need it (I agree, the fork mounts look much better). I am going to look at the Front Loader this weekend, we'll see how it looks with a 29er. This predicament almost makes me wish I had went with a standard fork....almost.

psycho cyclo addict
    I'd check out the correct one for your car on Thule and Yakima web sites and score a used one of the same model on eBay. That's how I got a Mega Joe a few years back and it cost ~1/6th of what new ones do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The front loader from Yakima and Side Arm from Thule will fit the rack I am getting, but Yakima had a recall earlier this year so anything used will be the defective model most likely. I will give ebay a shot for their other models though, thanks edub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jester8798 View Post
    Thanks Blue.

I have heard mixed reviews on the lefty adapter so I will probably be going the upright route since I won't be leaving it on the car when I don't need it (I agree, the fork mounts look much better). I am going to look at the Front Loader this weekend, we'll see how it looks with a 29er. This predicament almost makes me wish I had went with a standard fork....almost.
    i have a 29er w lefty too...get the yakima highroller. slightly better than the frontloader...can be had from ors racks for $161 (using extra10 coupon code).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Square, I was looking at the high roller too, but the bars I'm getting (Subaru WRX) would require adapters to fit. I'll look into those, but I liked the abilitiy of the front loader to fit to the OEM cross bars.

You haven't had any issues with the wheel looking like it will pop out?

That coupon code is sweet, thanks!

mtbr member
    mine actually just arrived 20 minutes ago, so it's not on my car yet. for the past few weeks i have been using the yakima lockjaw (or raptor...new design). it straps both wheels down and a bar comes up and grabs the downtube. it has been fine with my 26" ht and flash 29er, but i wanted the highroller because it looked a little more stable. i have only used it around town with a few miles of highway driving.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jester8798 View Post
    The front loader from Yakima and Side Arm from Thule will fit the rack I am getting, but Yakima had a recall earlier this year so anything used will be the defective model most likely. I will give ebay a shot for their other models though, thanks edub.
    NP - I paid less than $20 including shipping for a Mega Joe a couple years back and it's been totally awesome for making Sultan sammiches