Car bike racks that work with kids bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Car bike racks that work with kids bikes

I'm looking at both Kuat Transfer 2 and RockyMount MonoRail, which both say they work with 20" kids bikes. But....the MonoRail lists a minimum wheelbase of 34" and my kid has a Woom Off 4 which claims a 33" wheelbase, which really isn't short at all for a kids 20" bike. Any idea if this is really an issue? Would the MonoRail work with that bike? What about the Kuat? Other options?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Lolo rack is an option that gives good flexibility for kids bikes.
    The bikes hang from the handlebars.
    May be worth checking out

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thule T2 Pro XT will definitely work just based on their adjustable rear wheel holder. I can't speak to the other two because I can't recall a customer asking for this specifically for them.

mtbr member
    As I recall, 1up racks support wheels as small as 16" (I have not tried it). And their wheel trays are spaced only 4 inches apart between front and rear wheels, so obviously wheel base isn't an issue.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmatt View Post
    I'm looking at both Kuat Transfer 2 and RockyMount MonoRail, which both say they work with 20" kids bikes. But....the MonoRail lists a minimum wheelbase of 34" and my kid has a Woom Off 4 which claims a 33" wheelbase, which really isn't short at all for a kids 20" bike. Any idea if this is really an issue? Would the MonoRail work with that bike? What about the Kuat? Other options?
    I'm using a Saris EX4 (I think that is the model name). I'm running two 20" kids bikes, a 26" and either a fat or 29er most of the time. Had to spend 15 minutes the first time moving the trays and arms on the 20" trays, but all good now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon

EDR
    I have a Kuat T2 and it works perfectly fine on my son's 24'' Trailcraft. Before that i carried his 20'' Speshy bmx bike on it. I don't recall ever having any issue with that small bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    I know you said you were looking at the Transfer - which looks good for 20" bikes out of the box - but wanted to make you aware that if you were going with the Sherpa or the NV then you would need an adapter for them to fit a 20"-24" bike. That said all you have to do is call or email Kuat and they will send the adapter out to you for free.

Also, one caveat on the Sherpa is it doesn't work with the short wheelbase on my daughter's 20" Cleary Owl.

banned
    Oct 2020

Kids bikes ?

Can't you put the kids bikes in the boot ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBUSER View Post
    Can't you put the kids bikes in the boot ?
    Well sure...

But if you want to take your bike and your kid's bike that won't work so well. Also, some vehicles just don't lend themselves well to this. I've got a BMW 3-series sedan and while the bike fits with half the back seat folded down it's a pain. I've tried the trunk mount Saris Bones rack but it just doesn't mount stable on the back and on one trip after I had everything done up and realized I forgot something in the trunk there was plenty of @#$%#$!! as I had to take it all apart.

I recently installed a Stealth Hitch and couldn't be happier. About the bike rack that is...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Also look at the Yakima FrontLoader. Specís says it works with a 20Ē wheel, it has a sliding rear wheel clamp that could likely be repositioned forward of the cross bar mount.

banned
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotes View Post
    Well sure...

But if you want to take your bike and your kid's bike that won't work so well. Also, some vehicles just don't lend themselves well to this. I've got a BMW 3-series sedan and while the bike fits with half the back seat folded down it's a pain. I've tried the trunk mount Saris Bones rack but it just doesn't mount stable on the back and on one trip after I had everything done up and realized I forgot something in the trunk there was plenty of @#$%#$!! as I had to take it all apart.

I recently installed a Stealth Hitch and couldn't be happier. About the bike rack that is...
    Can't you put your Kids bikes and the Kids in the Boot ?

poser Administrator
    If you are looking for hitch racks the Saris works with 20" bikes, though I am not sure what the min wheelbase is. We had both of our kids 20" bikes on there without issue.
    https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2
    It also comes in a 4 rack, and the bonus is that it is really compact vs. a comparable 4 bike rack from other manufacturers.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    As I recall, 1up racks support wheels as small as 16" (I have not tried it). And their wheel trays are spaced only 4 inches apart between front and rear wheels, so obviously wheel base isn't an issue.
    I had down to 20" wheels when the kids were little. Old Pic:

Car bike racks that work with kids bikes-p1110415.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBUSER View Post
    Can't you put your Kids bikes and the Kids in the Boot ?
    I've tried but she's figured out the emergency trunk release!

banned
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotes View Post
    I've tried but she's figured out the emergency trunk release!
    Love it! Kids today

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    To go for a suitable car bikes rack is Rocky Mounts Split Rails LS. This car bike rack has great capacity options that fit for 2, 3, or 4 people. The decent price allows a great flexible capacity that makes a great family ride. To go for a larger capacity, you can go for Allen Deluxe Locking Hitch Rack.