• 03-28-2010
    essjss
    Can you bend Yakima cross bars?
    I want to fit a roof box on a car with a tailgate but the box doesn't clear the gate when open. I think if I can get an additional 2" of vertical clearance that I can make it work. I want to try and bend the crossbar to add a couple inches of clearance. Any thoughts?

Something like this: ___/------\___

Anyone tried this before?
  • 03-28-2010
    JohnJ80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by essjss
    I want to fit a roof box on a car with a tailgate but the box doesn't clear the gate when open. I think if I can get an additional 2" of vertical clearance that I can make it work. I want to try and bend the crossbar to add a couple inches of clearance. Any thoughts?

Something like this: ___/------\___

Anyone tried this before?

You could bend them, but the radius of the bend would be the limiting factor.

I've seen some who have done this, actually going the other way - dropping the box lower when the vehicle had high side rails - but you would do it by cutting the bar and welding a piece (plate) in between.

J.
  • 03-28-2010
    essjss
    OK, I might have found a solution:

http://www.cracksandracks.com/thule-...ter-p-452.html

Anyone know how much this will "elevate" the crossbar? Thanks.
  • 03-28-2010
    longman
    yeah...
    you don't want to use that with a box.
  • 03-29-2010
    essjss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by longman
    you don't want to use that with a box.

Any background here or just a cryptic admonition?
  • 03-29-2010
    cracksandracks.com
    Quote:

Originally Posted by essjss
    Any background here or just a cryptic admonition?

this would add about 3" from the top of your existing crossbar to the top of the crossbar on the 532.

there are other solutions for the cargo box...depending on the type of box you have.

drilling a new hole, further back on the box, can help shif the box forward.

you can do this with yakima sky boxes too, if you router the channel an inch or so further back.

depends on the box.